NHT or Paradigm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NHT or Paradigm

Sol Rosenberg
04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
I think I have narrowed down my decision between these two brands based on cost and quality. I was thinking about getting bookshelf speakers because I have some nice stands.

Based on your opinion and personal experiences, which brand do you think offers the better value?

topspeed
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Which models?

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
As Peruvian Skies and now myself will attest...don't rule out psb speakers.

IMHO (depending on your tastes) side by side and dollar for dollar they will out perform the Paradigms for speakers under $2K (this is based on recent listening experience and didn't give the Paradigm any more thought once I heard the psb's). The way my dealer explained it is that Paradigm puts a lot of money in marketing were as psb puts that money into research and development.

I'm not that familiar with the NHT's tho so I will let others comment on them.

PeruvianSkies
04-10-2007, 04:04 PM
As Peruvian Skies and now myself will attest...don't rule out psb speakers.

IMHO (depending on your tastes) side by side and dollar for dollar they will out perform the Paradigms for speakers under $2K (this is based on recent listening experience and didn't give the Paradigm any more thought once I heard the psb's). The way my dealer explained it is that Paradigm puts a lot of money in marketing were as psb puts that money into research and development.

I'm not that familiar with the NHT's tho so I will let others comment on them.

Add to that the fact that PSB's designer Paul Barton is a sheer genius when it comes to design of speakers and drivers. He is always out trying to beat himself in his latest creations and is constantly on the verge of perfecting his product. Amazingly enough he charges insanely low prices for the result and sometimes I wonder if that is a bad thing. I wonder if the PSB speakers were listed around 10K or 15K if they would suddenly be more reputable and respected in the higher-end market. But for now, you can get that type of quality for fractions of the price. If you read the review from (I think Stereophile) on the Platinum T6 that I have...they compared it to a 20K Aerial speaker. Not saying that it was the same, but it went a few rounds in performance and if a speaker that is 1/4 the cost can do that....you know you have a good product.

frenchmon
04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
He said he picked his speaker and you try to sell him on another brand of speaker. Tipical.

PSB does just as much marketing as Paradigm. They are all quality speakers. I happen to like the sound of Paradigm over NHT.

frenchmon

PeruvianSkies
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
He said he picked his speaker and you try to sell him on another brand of speaker. Tipical.

PSB does just as much marketing as Paradigm. They are all quality speakers. I happen to like the sound of Paradigm over NHT.

frenchmon

First, that's not how you spell TYPICAL and second, we are simply suggesting some other ideas. Often times people have a limited range of selection and since this person has not even listed MODEL NUMBERS for their choices it would seem that they are just putting out feelers for peoples preference. I think that NHT, Paradigm, and PSB would all be good choices, but would clearly take PSB any day of the week and twice on Saturday and Sunday. For my money they will go above and beyond what NHT or Paradigm could deliver and then some.

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks PS...I wasn't going to be that nice to frenchmon in my response.

He said he's looking for value (ie; cost vs quality) and THINKS he has narrowed down his choices. I have to assume that he's from Canada where PSB is a little more known but their marketing budget is small compared to Paradigms.

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey......Just noticed I am a regular here with my 100th post WAHOO...Gotta get some cheer and celebrate LOL

PeruvianSkies
04-11-2007, 04:43 AM
Thanks PS...I wasn't going to be that nice to frenchmon in my response.

He said he's looking for value (ie; cost vs quality) and THINKS he has narrowed down his choices. I have to assume that he's from Canada where PSB is a little more known but their marketing budget is small compared to Paradigms.

Especially since the original poster is on his first post and there is no law against offering other suggestions. It's not uncommon for people to recommend other things on this site...like when someone picks a different selection that what's on the poll.

Sol Rosenberg
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey I appreciate the additional recommendation.

I haven't had the chance to hear PSB speakers. The 2 dealers in my area mainly sell Magnepan, B&W, Paradigm, Tannoy, and NHT.

I was listening to the SB3's by NHT which was an older model, and I thought it was really smooth, accurate, and an attractive-looking speaker. It's also reasonably priced considering that I could get away without using a sub.

I heard the Paradigm reference speakers (can't remember the model) one time, but the music I was listening to was not something I was used to and the place was a little busy. I remember it having pretty solid bass and clear sound.

Those two brands were my picks based on availability and price (hoping not to spend more than $600 a pair, and I'll probably by 2 more and a center down the road for HT).

I will look into PSB online though. Thanks for the recommendation.

PeruvianSkies
04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey I appreciate the additional recommendation.

I haven't had the chance to hear PSB speakers. The 2 dealers in my area mainly sell Magnepan, B&W, Paradigm, Tannoy, and NHT.

I was listening to the SB3's by NHT which was an older model, and I thought it was really smooth, accurate, and an attractive-looking speaker. It's also reasonably priced considering that I could get away without using a sub.

I heard the Paradigm reference speakers (can't remember the model) one time, but the music I was listening to was not something I was used to and the place was a little busy. I remember it having pretty solid bass and clear sound.

Those two brands were my picks based on availability and price (hoping not to spend more than $600 a pair, and I'll probably by 2 more and a center down the road for HT).

I will look into PSB online though. Thanks for the recommendation.

You might enjoy the sound of TANNOY as well, although I have never been impressed with their lower-end stuff, but they do make some interesting higher-end stuff. Still I am not a huge fan as (for the same amount of money) would put it elsewhere.

Anyway, just so you are aware there is only ONE online authorized seller of PSB and that's DMC-electronics, which is a really great source. Their prices are also good. Hopefully you can find a place to demo some stuff.