Taste in Music Evolution????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Taste in Music Evolution?????

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2007, 08:57 AM
As I get older (but not necessarily wiser) I find my taste in music migrates to more mature tastes ...... stuff my parents might have listen to if they were so incline.

I was wondering how everyones tastes have changed over the years and did the quality of your gear have any influence in this..I know mine have.

I grew up in the seventies listening to bands like Led Zep, Floyd, Nazareth, Sabbath etc and in the eighties it was stuff like Doobies, Skynyrd, Kansas and Eagles but as the years pass if found that I wanted to find the roots of rock hence my interest in the Blues/R&B. At first it was E.Clapton, Buddy Guy, John Mayall etc then reverted to the masters like Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Leadbelly, Etta James.

Lately I have acquired a keen interest in Jazz and Classical (if the recording is any good).
Don't think I will every appreciate this "new" country or Rap/HIP Hop stuff tho. I do like almost anything if it shows the musicianship in the recording.

I have discovered a few "new" acts here in the forums and look forward to finding a few more.

Cheers :16: :17: :5: :6:

Resident Loser
04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
...pretty much like what I have liked over the years...obviously there are things I no longer or rarely listen to and have no intention of collecting in digital form...

Age has a way of changing what speaks to you...as rock became less interesting, my moderate interest in classical expanded and filled the void...but even that shift is evolving, becoming more refined or specific as I tend to gravitate toward solo classical guitar, smaller ensembles and chamber pieces in lieu of the sonic blockbusters...At the same time, looking for more uptempo stuff has brought me to classic jazz of the late-40s, 50s, early-to-mid-60s...Coltrane, Davis, Brubeck, Evans...with their smaller combos, acoustic instruments and more melodic content...Why I even purchased Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin discs, something I never would have considered even 5-10 years ago, again driven by melodic content and excellence of the talent and craft involved...

And there's the odd-ball stuff from Native American Flute Music to Slack-key Hawiian to Zydeco...it's all great...

jimHJJ(...and it's all "new"...)

basite
04-10-2007, 09:49 AM
there was a period where I listened to classical music alot, but that period went by, then elton john-ish music came, then rammstein (and variants) came, then they all went again...

I discovered jazz, found out that I really liked it, then I also found some nice funk in dad's collection, and some classic rock, I also seem to like 'real' rock, not too heavy like punk or metal or so, but not pop-ish neither, just plain rock, i think I always liked rock, anyways, now I mainly listen to jazz, rock (also alternative rock), funk, some R&B and some soul, some electronical music can do good sometimes...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
04-10-2007, 10:14 AM
The music I purchase today is mostly instrumental. Years ago I would not be interested in music unless there was a vocalist I liked singing songs to which I could relate. Now I can go days without hearing the human voice in a recording. Of course when I am down nothing is better than one of my favorite ladies singing a torch song.

I do not know if my equipment has helped change my taste in music as much as I choose equipment that allows me greater insight into the music I like.

-Jar-
04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
I dunno you tell me..

9 years old.. Bee Gees

11 years old.. AC/DC

14 years old.. Iron Maiden

17 years old.. Sting & R.E.M.

20 years old.. The Cure and The Smiths

24 years old.. Nick Cave & The Melvins

28 years old.. Laika and Stereolab

30 years old.. Beck and Tom Waits

34 years old.. Jimmy Eat World and Built to Spill

37 years old.. AC/DC

I don't know what to make of it.. hehehe.

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I dunno you tell me..

9 years old.. Bee Gees

11 years old.. AC/DC

14 years old.. Iron Maiden

17 years old.. Sting & R.E.M.

20 years old.. The Cure and The Smiths

24 years old.. Nick Cave & The Melvins

28 years old.. Laika and Stereolab

30 years old.. Beck and Tom Waits

34 years old.. Jimmy Eat World and Built to Spill

37 years old.. AC/DC

I don't know what to make of it.. hehehe.

I hope at 40 your not listening to the BEE GEEs again....LOL

Dusty Chalk
04-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Q: Are we not men?

Feanor
04-12-2007, 12:43 PM
As I get older (but not necessarily wiser) I find my taste in music migrates to more mature tastes ...... stuff my parents might have listen to if they were so incline.

I was wondering how everyones tastes have changed over the years and did the quality of your gear have any influence in this..I know mine have.
Cheers :5:

Equipment has had no effect on my tastes at all. Over the years my tests have moved like this:

[folk] + [folk-rock] + [Classical-Renaissance] + [Classical-Baroque] + [Classica-general] + [70's rock] - [folk] - [folk-rock] - [70's rock] + [Jazz-HardBop] +[Classical-Contemporary]

But all uninfluenced by equipment.