paradigm ps1000 or pw2100 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : paradigm ps1000 or pw2100

cam
02-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I need advice. I have a ps 1000 sub right now but I feel it is starting to annoy me playing music or movies. There are no reviews at all for the pw 2100 anywhere and I need to know if it is worth the upgrade. The pw2200 is to big for my location plus to big for my wife. I know the pw2200 would be a huge improvement but I do not know about the pw 2100.

Tennabrae
02-18-2004, 09:04 AM
I did own the ps1000 and was very unsatisfied. I returned it and purchased a SVS pb-1.
For moves the ps1000 did an ok job. It rumbled when it needed to. But on music I thought it was horrible. I'd buy the pw2100 and try it out. If you don't like it return it.
I know I'm glad I didn't settle for the ps1000. My pb-1 blows it out of the water.

bturk667
02-18-2004, 10:50 AM
I need advice. I have a ps 1000 sub right now but I feel it is starting to annoy me playing music or movies. There are no reviews at all for the pw 2100 anywhere and I need to know if it is worth the upgrade. The pw2200 is to big for my location plus to big for my wife. I know the pw2200 would be a huge improvement but I do not know about the pw 2100. If the PS 1000 is annoying you, then replace it. Who cares what a reviewer thinks. Go out an listen to the PW 2100, then let your ears decide for you. Seems simple enough!

cam
02-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I have had a day to think about this and I thought, I love my wife but I have decided to get the new pw2200 despite the bigger size. I was just trying to please her with a smaller box. The ps1000 is crappy and I have lived with it long enough. Now it is time to please me. Got a fair trade for my ps1000 towards the pw2200. I just have to wait one week for it to be in stock. I was talking like a whipped boy when I was enquiring about the pw2100. Thanks for your comments. Hell I feel so liberated I think I am going to buy two pw2200's.

kexodusc
02-19-2004, 06:05 AM
I have a PW2200 and recently bought a second one.
They are quite decent, mostly because of the larger amplifier in them. I've heard a few subs in their price range that do perform slightly better though, but my own experience with subs has been pretty much that you get what you pay for.
I spent about 7 weeks sampling subwoofer after subwoofer and other than the benefits associated with increased power for bass frequencies, I couldn't really find a brand that seemed to clearly win over any others. There were a few obviously over priced ones, but nothing that really stood out in each price range. I really liked Velodyne because I had always heard they were the best...in the end I got a better deal on the Paradigm and went with that. I've been satisfied, but I've always wondered what is the best way to demo a sub-woofer?
Any comments?

PmR
02-19-2004, 06:32 AM
I have had a day to think about this and I thought, I love my wife but I have decided to get the new pw2200 despite the bigger size. I was just trying to please her with a smaller box. The ps1000 is crappy and I have lived with it long enough. Now it is time to please me. Got a fair trade for my ps1000 towards the pw2200. I just have to wait one week for it to be in stock. I was talking like a whipped boy when I was enquiring about the pw2100. Thanks for your comments. Hell I feel so liberated I think I am going to buy two pw2200's.

I have a PW2200/v2 and have been quite impressed with it. There is a fellow on audiogon who is selling some demos of the Magro 24 component stand which includes a large area under the lower shelf that should accomodate the PW2200. Mine is on order right now so I can't absolutely confirm that it will fit but if you're interested, I'll tell you if it does once I have it set up.

The unit is going for $150 right now plus S+H (90 lbs - was $75 to Canada)(http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ddaccsrack&1081705535&demo&3&4&).

ji0921
03-01-2004, 10:29 PM
kexodusc:

Did you get to audition the Velodyne against the Paradigm PW 2200 before you made the purchase? Ok, so you got a better deal on PW 2200 but I'd like to know how it actually performed compared to Velodyne.

cam:

So, how's your PW 2200? I'm looking into some subs in the same price range and I'd like to know your impression of it. I'm not handy to deal with DIY subs which is why I preferred sticking to off the shelves stuff. Actually, lots of people in this forum raves about SVS and Hsu subs but, unfortunately, I live in Asia and they don't have a distributor here.

PmR
03-01-2004, 10:43 PM
I have a PW2200/v2 and have been quite impressed with it. There is a fellow on audiogon who is selling some demos of the Magro 24 component stand which includes a large area under the lower shelf that should accomodate the PW2200. Mine is on order right now so I can't absolutely confirm that it will fit but if you're interested, I'll tell you if it does once I have it set up.

The unit is going for $150 right now plus S+H (90 lbs - was $75 to Canada)(http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ddaccsrack&1081705535&demo&3&4&).

The PW2200 fits quite comfortably under the Magro component stand. The stand is unorthodox and a bit tough to wire as you can't get behind it but rather have to work from the sides, but it is quite spectacular looking when properly set up. It also really helps with the space factor as it just absorbs the sub

kexodusc
03-02-2004, 04:38 AM
kexodusc:

Did you get to audition the Velodyne against the Paradigm PW 2200 before you made the purchase? Ok, so you got a better deal on PW 2200 but I'd like to know how it actually performed compared to Velodyne.

cam:

Absolutely, I also tried a B&W ASW something or other model and two 12" RSW and RW Klipsch model subs. I can't remember any of the model numbers, so they might be wrong.
To be perfectly honest I've always found the amplifiers tell the tale with sub woofers. The bigger, the better. The Velodyne (forget the model) was very good too, but a little more expensive, as were two of the other three models I was looking at.
The differences were extremely small at best. I will be 100% honest with you, I own Paradigm Reference speakers and was probably somewhat biased anyway, but I've mixed and matched subs before with great success. I wanted the best sound, and I thought for sure it was going to be Velodyne, but I don't think there is a clear winner, or there'd only be one brand.
In the end price was the determining factor, I got a killer deal since I bought from the same person I bought my speakers from (who also carried the Klipsch subs).
In this price range, I don't think there is a weak product out there you can go wrong with, go with what sounds best to you.

cam
03-02-2004, 06:04 PM
kexodusc:

cam:

So, how's your PW 2200? I'm looking into some subs in the same price range and I'd like to know your impression of it. I'm not handy to deal with DIY subs which is why I preferred sticking to off the shelves stuff. Actually, lots of people in this forum raves about SVS and Hsu subs but, unfortunately, I live in Asia and they don't have a distributor here.
ji0921: I personally was only buying a paradigm sub because my dealer was giving me 80% of what I paid on my ps1000 that I purchased 19 months ago. So that was why I was staying with paradigm so I did not compare any other brands. I have only had this sub for 6 days so it is still along way from being broken in. Initial impression was that out of the box my old ps1000 pounded much harder then the pw2200. After about 2 hours my old ps1000 wasn't even close to being in the same league as my new pw2200. This beast was starting to open up and open up fast. I have put about 20 hours on it now and it is starting to scare the sh** out of me. Movies, it is awesome, music, it does not matter if you cross it over at 80 or 150 it hits every bass note unlike my old ps1000 which is a one bass note sub. Like I was saying I am not familiar with SVS or HSU subs, all I can say is that the new PW2200 v2 400rms 1500peak is a welcome addition to my system.

the hand of boredom
03-02-2004, 09:33 PM
I need advice. I have a ps 1000 sub right now but I feel it is starting to annoy me playing music or movies. There are no reviews at all for the pw 2100 anywhere and I need to know if it is worth the upgrade. The pw2200 is to big for my location plus to big for my wife. I know the pw2200 would be a huge improvement but I do not know about the pw 2100.

Since you are debating on purchasing a PW series sub, I would suggest saving a few extra bills and consider the Servo 15. The price difference is well worth the improvement in depth, pitch control, and energy. For music, there is no comparison. For HT, the PW is good, but the Servo is better. Do what you can to convince the wife. If that means doing a little laundry here, make a few meals there, and orally pleasuring her endlessly with a bedtime story every night, then do it.

At least do yourself a favour and have a listen to it.

THOB

ji0921
03-02-2004, 11:06 PM
What about Velodyne CHT-15? Does this sub fare better than PW 2200 or not? Personally, I haven't heard much review from Paradigm subs other than Servo-15.