HDCD Surprises [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDCD Surprises

anamorphic96
04-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Not to long ago I upgraded to the NAD C542 and have been shocked at the number of HDCD discs I have. Most are not even labeled. Of the 300 discs I own I would say at least 50 to 60 are HDCD's. The other week I bought 8 new titles and 4 where HDCD and not labeled.

It does not always make that big of a difference and sometimes makes some discs sound worse. But I have quite a few where it made very noticeable improvements.

Anyone else have HDCD capabilities and notice this pattern.

Cheers

Feanor
04-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Not to long ago I upgraded to the NAD C542 and have been shocked at the number of HDCD discs I have. Most are not even labeled. Of the 300 discs I own I would say at least 50 to 60 are HDCD's. The other week I bought 8 new titles and 4 where HDCD and not labeled.

It does not always make that big of a difference and sometimes makes some discs sound worse. But I have quite a few where it made very noticeable improvements.

Anyone else have HDCD capabilities and notice this pattern.

Cheers

That's very interesting indeed. In which labels are the HDCDs turning up? Is there a pattern, e.g. performers, producers, engineers?

To my knowledge I have only 3-4 HDCDs. But I haven't been staring at my HDCD indicator, so I might have a few more. Mine are all Reference Recordings; they sound great even without HDCD decoding, but the decoding improves the sound subtly I would say

anamorphic96
04-07-2007, 10:53 PM
I listen to quite a bit of alternative country and traditional country. In fact I just put in a disc by Freakwater that I picked up last night and it's HDCD encoded. Two of my Lucinda Williams discs along with two of my Emmylou Harris albums are HDCD. I have a couple of Laura Cantrell discs that are encoded. Most of the discs are on smaller labels. Rounder, Bloodshot, Thrill Jockey, American. Plus some majors.

Tool
Other Ones
Natalie Merchant
Mark Knopfler
Dire Straits
Willie Nelson
Caitlin Cary
Beck

This is a small list that have encoded discs, there are others.

My Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball album is horrible sounding. Very harsh sounding and compressed. Sounds better without the HDCD encoding.

R.S.
04-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Here are a few of the ones that I have that are not marked on the packaging:

Duke Ellington- Blues in Orbit (unbelievable sound!)
Stephen Stills- (Self Titled)
Stephen Stills- Manassas
ZZ Topp- Rancho Texicano (2 CD Best of)
The Doors- Legacy
Yes- Live From the House of Blues

emorphien
04-08-2007, 06:56 AM
I've stumbled across a few which are HDCD, but not many. And certainly not as high a percentage as you have. It is always fun to pop in a disc and have that light come on when you're not expecting it though.

Bingo
04-09-2007, 08:36 AM
My Cary CD player decodes HDCD discs....I have three or four of them on the Reference Label. I have not noticed any CDs other than the ones I selected that light up the red light on my CD player, but you can bet I'll be looking there in the future just to see if any unlabled ones are HDs....HA! As old as I am, I learn something new EVERY day!
Bingo alias Nolan

PeruvianSkies
04-09-2007, 11:28 AM
There are a few other older threads on here about this same topic. We (if I recall) listed quite a few of the non-labeled HDCD's out there as well as some of the ones that were really key titles to have. There are a few websites or non-AR threads out there that list several as well. My favorite HDCD's are the following:

Jewel: SPIRIT
Sigur Ros: ()
Starship Troopers Soundtrack
Kenny Wayne Shephard: LIVE ON
Better Than Ezra CLOSER
The Cars: Self Titled
Neil Young's GREATEST HITS
The Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin
High Fidelity Soundtrack
and Third Eye Blind BLUE (note: only track 11 is HDCD making this a unique title)

Bingo
04-10-2007, 05:25 AM
:sleep: Peruvian...I'm one of those OLD farts that only listens to Classical, broadway musicals, a little New Orleans Jazz and some big band stuff out of the forties....HA! All of the one's you listed as HD CDs are greek to me.....there probably aren't many CDs in my genre that are HDs...but its fun finding out how you sprightly YOUNG dudes enjoy your music ... from the old FART....Nolan

Feanor
04-10-2007, 06:05 AM
:sleep: Peruvian...I'm one of those OLD farts that only listens to Classical, broadway musicals, a little New Orleans Jazz and some big band stuff out of the forties....HA! All of the one's you listed as HD CDs are greek to me.....there probably aren't many CDs in my genre that are HDs...but its fun finding out how you sprightly YOUNG dudes enjoy your music ... from the old FART....Nolan

Nolan,

I'm not quite as old a fart as you, but I am a fart, and a fairly old one at that. The sad thing is that classical music lovers like us are far and few between here at the AR forums.

The only HDCD disk that I know I have are, as in your case, Reference Recordings discs. These are great sounding of course, whether or not HDCD decoded. I recommend the John Rutter: "Requiem" recording for especially good choral and overall sound ...
http://www.referencerecordings.com/choraleorgan.asp

PeruvianSkies
04-10-2007, 03:58 PM

My favorite 'type' of music happens to be Classical. My favorites would include, but not be limited to:

RAVEL, BEETHOVEN, MOZART, DEBUSSY, PROKOFIEV, TCHAIKOVSKY, BACH, HANDEL, HAYDN, RACHMANINOFF, VIVALDI, SCHUBERT, OFFENBACH, GRIEG, and the list goes on...

My top selections would probably be:

Bach's BWV 639 "Ich ruf' zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ"
Mozart's Requiem
Beethoven's Pathetic Sonata Op. 13 & entire 9th
Handel's Sarabande
Schubert's Piano Trio in E-Flat, Opp 100
Ravel's Bolero

I also love alot of blues and blues rock, but as far as HDCD's go...I don't have any that are classical.

Bingo
04-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Peruvian...this old fart loves all of the composers you mentioned...it is good to have kindred spirits who like the same KIND of music...so welcome kindred spirit! Do you ever listen to string quartets? I have a Vanguard Album that is such high quality (recording) that it makes my system sound 'pristine' ...the Album is ATM CD 1650 and is by the Griller String Quartet - playing Franz Joseph Haydn's op. 71 and 74 quartets..of course I love the music itself..but the presentation on the Vanguard Disc is pristine sound..pure sound. On my system, the fewer the instruments playing, the cleaner the sound....but I can still get full symphony orchestra pretty darned good...anyway nice to know your ears like such excellent composers. Bingo

PeruvianSkies
04-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Peruvian...this old fart loves all of the composers you mentioned...it is good to have kindred spirits who like the same KIND of music...so welcome kindred spirit! Do you ever listen to string quartets? I have a Vanguard Album that is such high quality (recording) that it makes my system sound 'pristine' ...the Album is ATM CD 1650 and is by the Griller String Quartet - playing Franz Joseph Haydn's op. 71 and 74 quartets..of course I love the music itself..but the presentation on the Vanguard Disc is pristine sound..pure sound. On my system, the fewer the instruments playing, the cleaner the sound....but I can still get full symphony orchestra pretty darned good...anyway nice to know your ears like such excellent composers. Bingo

I'll have to try and track that one down.

Feanor
04-11-2007, 05:14 AM
... Do you ever listen to string quartets? I have a Vanguard Album that is such high quality (recording) that it makes my system sound 'pristine' ...the Album is ATM CD 1650 and is by the Griller String Quartet - playing Franz Joseph Haydn's op. 71 and 74 quartets..of course I love the music itself..but the presentation on the Vanguard Disc is pristine sound..pure sound. ... Bingo

I'm a big fan of the string quartet form and have fairly large collection. I'll peruse it and come up with some recommendations -- watch the Rave Recordings forum.

:17: :19: :17: :19:

PeruvianSkies
04-11-2007, 05:17 AM
I'm a big fan of the string quartet form and have fairly large collection. I'll peruse it and come up with some recommendations.

The thing that drives me crazy about classical recordings is that it's difficult to find good recordings. You can't always tell if A. it's a good performance and B. it's a good recording of that performance. There are certain key recordings that have a reputation...it would be cool at some point to compile a good master list on here of ESSENTIAL classical recordings.

Dusty Chalk
04-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Schubert's Piano Trio in E-Flat, Opp 100Good call! One of my absolute favourites, and easily my favourite piece of chamber music. If you don't have it already, you should track down this version (http://www.artsmusic.de/templates/tyReleasesD.php?id=321&label=DVD%20Audio&topic=arts-releases-detail).

PeruvianSkies
04-12-2007, 04:11 AM
Good call! One of my absolute favourites, and easily my favourite piece of chamber music. If you don't have it already, you should track down this version (http://www.artsmusic.de/templates/tyReleasesD.php?id=321&label=DVD%20Audio&topic=arts-releases-detail).

I did a sneak peak of this on iTunes and will definitely have to order it!!!! And it's 96/24!

PeruvianSkies
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Good call! One of my absolute favourites, and easily my favourite piece of chamber music. If you don't have it already, you should track down this version (http://www.artsmusic.de/templates/tyReleasesD.php?id=321&label=DVD%20Audio&topic=arts-releases-detail).

Dusty, I couldn't resist. I ordered it today. I can't wait to get my hands on it. This is one of the my favorite pieces that I currently (for shame) do not have a good recording of. I really need to ramp up my classical collection on CD as I have always been hesitant on certain recordings, but I think it's time to unleash some funds in that direction. Of course this site is very helpful for finding key stuff.

Dusty Chalk
04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Tres bon!

anamorphic96
04-13-2007, 04:58 PM
By luck I scored two more HDCD encoded discs.

Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Scaggs
Dave Brubeck's - Time Out

The Dave Brubeck is especially good. Never heard this disc sound so good.

PeruvianSkies
04-13-2007, 08:29 PM
By luck I scored two more HDCD encoded discs.

Bruce Hornsby and Ricky Scaggs
Dave Brubeck's - Time Out

The Dave Brubeck is especially good. Never heard this disc sound so good.

Is TIME OUT also a SACD title out there somewhere??? I know i've seen some Brubeck on SACD....

anamorphic96
04-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Is TIME OUT also a SACD title out there somewhere??? I know i've seen some Brubeck on SACD....

I think I have seen it on SACD. Not completely sure though.

Feanor
04-14-2007, 05:42 AM

I have it on SACD: Columbia CS 65122. It is multi-channel but -- N.B. -- not hybrid; willl not play on standard CD players.

anamorphic96
04-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Picked up another tonight. This one is on the Columbia label like the Dave Brubeck disc I bought.

Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLucia - Friday Night In San Francisco

I also picked up the Death Proof soundtrack and during the dialog tracks from the movie the HDCD light would blink sporadically. Kinda strange given none of the music caused it to light up.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2007, 08:05 AM
The thing that drives me crazy about classical recordings is that it's difficult to find good recordings. You can't always tell if A. it's a good performance and B. it's a good recording of that performance. There are certain key recordings that have a reputation...it would be cool at some point to compile a good master list on here of ESSENTIAL classical recordings.

Y-A-W-N!!! :rolleyes:

Classical music = puts me to sleep. :ciappa:

PS, you mentioned you have a Neil Young Greatest Hits HDCD, I think. Where did you purchase it? Was it from that eBay seller you spoke of? I don't think I'll find that format at the Amazon.com's of the world. :confused5:

PeruvianSkies
04-16-2007, 08:09 AM

PS, you mentioned you have a Neil Young Greatest Hits HDCD, I think. Where did you purchase it? Was it from that eBay seller you spoke of? I don't think I'll find that format at the Amazon.com's of the world. :confused5:

Actually you can get it here...nothing special about it....it's heavily available and is a good recording...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-images/B00063EMJ6/sr=8-1/qid=1176739692/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0/002-5975825-0562401?ie=UTF8&s=music&index=0&qid=1176739692&sr=8-1#gallery

There are a few other Neil Young HDCD's out there...i'll list them when I get a chance.

PeruvianSkies
04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Neil Young: American Stars & Bars
Neil Young: Broken Arrow
Neil Young: Crazy Horse at the Fillmore 1970
Neil Young: Greendale
Neil Young: Hawks and Doves
Neil Young's Living With War
Neil Young: Mirror Ball (the first rock HDCD)
Neil Young: On The Beach
Neil Young: Prarie Wind
Neil Young: Reactor
Neil Young: Silver & Gold
Neil Young: Time Fades Away (unreleased?)
Neil Young: Year Of The Horse

Feanor
04-16-2007, 09:48 AM

PS, you mentioned you have a Neil Young Greatest Hits HDCD, I think. ...

I could say the same about Neil Young. In fact, to generalize, my problem with Pop music is that it is boring relative to classical. It's not that I dislike it, (Rap, Hip-Hip, and raunchier rock forms aside), it's just that it isn't worth my limited time to listen to it.

I do agree that classical music is more challenging than other forms, viz. to fully enjoy it have to listen with you mind as well as your gut -- some people just are willing to do that.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I could say the same about Neil Young. In fact, to generalize, my problem with Pop music...

:yikes: Neil Young... Pop music?!?!?! :yikes:

Feanor, did you know (or care) that Eddie Veder of Pearl Jam idolizes Neil? I think it would be a stretch to put Neil Young's songwriting style and guitar work into the Pop category. When I think of Pop music, yes, Rap, Hip-Hop, contemporary and such fit in there, but not Neil Young.

But to stay on topic, I guess it's a case of me marching to the beat of a different drummer. I like loud drums and a lot of bass to keep my heart pumping. Music is entertainment that plays to my emotions and heart, not my brain. Just IMHO though.

PS, that link you posted takes me to the CD version @ Amazon. I thought you had that title on HDCD. :confused5:

aarondoo7
04-16-2007, 10:44 AM
A quick look at the back of some discs reveals that Joni Mitchell, Roxy Music, Meatloaf, Rodney Crowell And Carly Simon remasters are all HDCD. There is also a Scandanavian website which lists them all.

aarondoo7
04-16-2007, 10:48 AM
And here's the link: www.hifimusic.se/hdcd/?

PeruvianSkies
04-16-2007, 11:07 AM
PS, that link you posted takes me to the CD version @ Amazon. I thought you had that title on HDCD. :confused5:

Rich that IS the HDCD....some CD's are encoded with HDCD, so they are still CD's just not Redbook CD's. Most of the Neil Young CD's that I can recall has the labeling on them for HDCD.

Also, Neil Youg and the words "Anti-pop" are synonymous in my book! Go Neil Go!

Dusty Chalk
04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Neil Young... Pop music?!?!?! Uh, yeah -- it's POPular MUSIC, hence pop music. I.E. not jazz, country, classical, &c.

Feanor
04-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Uh, yeah -- it's POPular MUSIC, hence pop music. I.E. not jazz, country, classical, &c.

That's the way I look at it. No disrespect to Eddie Veder, whoever he is.

In fact, I lump Country into the "pop" category too.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Nope. Not the way I remember it. Rock-n-roll music, although these days very much labelled was never considered to be Pop. Captain & Tenille(sp?)... Pop. Deep Purple. NOT Pop. Mariah Carey... Pop, Jethro Tull, Yes, Led Zeppelin... Pop? Not likely.

I think this discussion is drifting towards the Rave Recordings category...

Dusty Chalk
04-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Look, I used to be like you, so take this blast with a grain of salt: you're just trying to pat yourself on the back by trying to be able to say that you listen to music that is not popular -- get over yourself. Eventually, you'll run into a piece of music that is so good that you won't care how popular it is, you'll like it despite its popularity. You will eventually look back on that day as a happy day. There is nothing wrong with the label pop music, though you might dislike a lot of it. Pop music (like "classic rock" and "indie" or "alternative") is one of the worst terms to describe music, because it does not describe the music itself.

Also, I think we're having a nomenclature problem. To me, there are only umpteen different types of music: classical, jazz, pop/rock (yes, I lump them together -- sometimes I just call it "contemporary"), and then the different world musics -- tibetan monk music, Indian drone-based music, &c.

Look, this is just a nomenclature problem that started when you questioned a use of the term to describe Neil Young, and which has since been clarified. We will never agree on the use of the term, so just get over yourself.

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Rich that IS the HDCD....some CD's are encoded with HDCD, so they are still CD's just not Redbook CD's. Most of the Neil Young CD's that I can recall has the labeling on them for HDCD.

Also, Neil Youg and the words "Anti-pop" are synonymous in my book! Go Neil Go!

Just to be sure PS, the link to this title shows it as costing $9.99, and in the Product Details section, it's listed as an Audio CD. Same one? If so, it goes into my shopping cart with the White Album!

Rich-n-Texas
04-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Look, I used to be like you, so take this blast with a grain of salt: you're just trying to pat yourself on the back by trying to be able to say that you listen to music that is not popular -- get over yourself...

We will never agree on the use of the term, so just get over yourself.

My apologies DC. I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject with you.

I'll say potatoe, and you say potato. Sound good?

PeruvianSkies
04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Rich,

You are beginning to see a common problem around this forum. How does a thread about HDCD's suddenly become a debate over whether or not Neil Young is Popular or not? No idea either, but it seems around here that no topic is safe from debates and attacks. I didn't think that responding to your questions about DVD-A would turn into a huge war either. Anyway...

To answer your question:

The Neil Young CD of 'Greatest Hits' is encoded with HDCD, there are no other versions of that CD. Most of the time you will not be given specifics as to whether a disc is HDCD or not. It's not like SACD where you are talking about a different format.

Peace.

R.S.
04-16-2007, 08:36 PM
I really started getting into classical about 6 months ago. I forced myself to seriously listen to it and all I can say is Wow!! It is addictive once you become familiar with some of the melodies, etc. Favorites so far are Rachmaninoff, Richard Strauss, Brahms, Ravel, Delius, Respighi, Dvorak, Grieg, and Grofe (mostly Romantic era).

It is frustrating that I could not find any classical HDCDs. Hence I splurged on an SACD player. Classical in surround sound is amazing with all of the instruments, plus there are a ton of titles available. I do recommend the RCA Living Stereo SACDs... some great performances from 50's in state of the art remastered sound. They were recorded in 2 or 3 channel, so it's not "technically" surround sound, but my 7.1 receiver will convert it into surround (it sounds excellent in 2 or 3 channel too). If you love classical music, an SACD player is highly recommended.

As for the Neil Young's greatest hits HDCD, I picked it up at a local Target store.

Rich-n-Texas
04-17-2007, 04:14 AM
Rich,

You are beginning to see a common problem around this forum. How does a thread about HDCD's suddenly become a debate over whether or not Neil Young is Popular or not? No idea either, but it seems around here that no topic is safe from debates and attacks. I didn't think that responding to your questions about DVD-A would turn into a huge war either. Anyway...

To answer your question:

The Neil Young CD of 'Greatest Hits' is encoded with HDCD, there are no other versions of that CD. Most of the time you will not be given specifics as to whether a disc is HDCD or not. It's not like SACD where you are talking about a different format.

Peace.

Thus the original intention of this topic. I understand, I just find it hard to believe that Neil Young CD would be so cheap. I guess it's time to do some more homework on HDCD recording and the Red book standard.

Edit: Well, maybe not. This looks like a political (DRM) hot potatoe, and I don't like to mix politics with music.

I think a good compromise for me in regards to classical music would be some of Bruce Hornsby & The Range's work. I'll bet ya "The Way It Is" would sound great in a multi-channel output format.

Feanor
04-17-2007, 06:57 AM
I really started getting into classical about 6 months ago. I forced myself to seriously listen to it and all I can say is Wow!! It is addictive once you become familiar with some of the melodies, etc. Favorites so far are Rachmaninoff, Richard Strauss, Brahms, Ravel, Delius, Respighi, Dvorak, Grieg, and Grofe (mostly Romantic era).

It is frustrating that I could not find any classical HDCDs. Hence I splurged on an SACD player. Classical in surround sound is amazing with all of the instruments, plus there are a ton of titles available. I do recommend the RCA Living Stereo SACDs... some great performances from 50's in state of the art remastered sound. They were recorded in 2 or 3 channel, so it's not "technically" surround sound, but my 7.1 receiver will convert it into surround (it sounds excellent in 2 or 3 channel too). If you love classical music, an SACD player is highly recommended.

As for the Neil Young's greatest hits HDCD, I picked it up at a local Target store.

Classical has a lot to offer for those willing to make the effort, but it is basically "serious" music, (to use the term favored by some). For me the Romantic era wasn't and isn't my favorite, but I have a fair collection none the less. I recommend that you eventually explore other eras, perhaps beginning with the Baroque but eventually also the Contemporary.

You are absolutely right the classical in multi-channel is great. Personally I prefer true 5.1 channel versions of large-scale orchestral and choral works. Despite that I do listen 90% to my stereo system; the multi-channel advantage is a bit less for chamber music and solo works.

Feanor
04-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Thus the original intention of this topic. I understand, I just find it hard to believe that Neil Young CD would be so cheap. I guess it's time to do some more homework on HDCD recording and the Red book standard.

Edit: Well, maybe not. This looks like a political (DRM) hot potatoe, and I don't like to mix politics with music.

I think a good compromise for me in regards to classical music would be some of Bruce Hornsby & The Range's work. I'll bet ya "The Way It Is" would sound great in a multi-channel output format.

You don't have to justify your disinterest with the Classical genre. You're not into it? Fine.

On the other hand it is simply ridiculous to view Bruce Hornsby, etc., as any sort "compromise" with Classical. You don't meet Classical way: either you accept it, (or some of it, because there is a huge range of Classical styles), or you don't.

Bingo
04-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Classical has a lot to offer for those willing to make the effort, but it is basically "serious" music, (to use the term favored by some). For me the Romantic era wasn't and isn't my favorite, but I have a fair collection none the less. I recommend that you eventually explore other eras, perhaps beginning with the Baroque but eventually also the Contemporary.

You are absolutely right the classical in multi-channel is great. Personally I prefer true 5.1 channel versions of large-scale orchestral and choral works. Despite that I do listen 90% to my stereo system; the multi-channel advantage is a bit less for chamber music and solo works.
Hi Feanor! Or, Bill Bailey! (won't you come home?)...years ago the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen proposed that there were three kinds of music (1) Head (2) Heart and (3) Limb...Head music was the intricate, but beautiful music as fouind in Symphonies, Concertos, Opera and the like - implying that it took a bit of the mind to appreciate...and for Heart Music he referred to the balad or the song, such as sung by Irish Tenors, that genre was sentimental, touching etc., hence the heart was involved instead of the head. And then the third type he chose to label was LIMB music - which included the type of music that makes you want to tap your toes or drum your fingers...in short to move your LIMBS or your body....rhythm, beat etc. I think if the Archbishop were still alive he might have added a fourth kind - the kind that we old timers thought might eventually go away, but it never did...I refer to Rock 'n Roll and perhaps (I'm not sure of the term) Hip Hop? I might be referring to RAP....in any case we might all agree that music, like food, is a matter of taste....and it is up to the individual to listen to his own kind of music...If some would rather eat hot dogs instead of steak, that's okay....Of course, I do believe that Classical (head) music can do much more for the individual than Rock. There is a structure or an order in Classical (Mozart) that elicits an orderly mind - or maybe it takes an orderly mind to appreciate it? Anyway, I believe there is room for us all! I will go on listening to Symphonies, Opera, Concertos...etc. and avoiding what seems to me to be cacophony - just as I will go on eating steaks and avoiding spam sandwiches.

Feanor
04-23-2007, 05:07 AM
years ago the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen proposed that there were three kinds of music (1) Head (2) Heart and (3) Limb...Head music was the intricate, but beautiful music as fouind in Symphonies, Concertos, Opera and the like - implying that it took a bit of the mind to appreciate...and for Heart Music he referred to the balad or the song, such as sung by Irish Tenors, ....
Of course, I do believe that Classical (head) music can do much more for the individual than Rock. There is a structure or an order in Classical (Mozart) that elicits an orderly mind - or maybe it takes an orderly mind to appreciate it? Anyway, I believe there is room for us all! I will go on listening to Symphonies, Opera, Concertos...etc. and avoiding what seems to me to be cacophony - just as I will go on eating steaks and avoiding spam sandwiches.

... to paraphrase Mony Python. Spam just isn't my "slice", so to speak.

I guess I really just prefer the "head music" which includes a lot of what's classical and a little bit of what's jazz. In fact, of classical music, I don't much care for music of the Romantic Era which, though mainly "head", has too much "heart" for my preference. Hence I dislike the lushly romantic composers like Schumman, Bruckner, et al.

PeruvianSkies
04-23-2007, 11:05 AM
For me, I love head-music as you described, but I am not always in a cerebral state of being, so sometimes I need something for my heart, and sometimes I am in a mood to just purely listen to music for the energy, in which case I want some limb-music. I don't wash my car listening to Mozart or Air Supply, but Led Zeppelin does the job quite well. Although that also depends...I don't listen to the THE BATTLE OF EVERMORE washing the wheels, which is more of a head-song if you ask me. Lots of visual imagery. Anyway...

I also think that there is another vein of music and that is worship music. All religions have it and that's different than heart-music because it involves soul. I am not talking about 'soul' music though...I am talking about spirtitaul music that involves a type of worship.....Christian worship for example looks like this...

"In worship we are ascribing greatness, goodness, and glory to God. It is typical of worship that we put every possible aspect of our being into it, all of our sensuous, conceptual, active, and creative capacities.
We embellish, elaborate, and magnify. Poetry and song, color and texture, food and incense, dance and procession are all used to exalt God. And sometimes it is in the quiet absorption of thought, the electric passion of encounter, or total surrender of the will. In worship we strive for adequate expression of God's greatness. But only for a moment, if ever, do we achieve what seems like adequacy. We cannot do justice to God or his Son or his kingdom or his goodness to us.
Worship nevertheless imprints on our whole being the reality that we study. The effect is a radical disruption of the powers of evil in us and around us. Often an enduring and substantial change is brought about. And the renewal of worship keeps the glow and power of our true homeland and active agent in all parts of our being. To "hear and do" in the atmosphere of worship is the clearest, most obvious and natural thing imaginable."

Luvin Da Blues
04-23-2007, 11:11 AM
For me, I love head-music as you described, but I am not always in a cerebral state of being, so sometimes I need something for my heart, and sometimes I am in a mood to just purely listen to music for the energy, in which case I want some limb-music. I don't wash my car listening to Mozart or Air Supply, but Led Zeppelin does the job quite well. Although that also depends...I don't listen to the THE BATTLE OF EVERMORE washing the wheels, which is more of a head-song if you ask me. Lots of visual imagery. Anyway...

I also think that there is another vein of music and that is worship music. All religions have it and that's different than heart-music because it involves soul. I am not talking about 'soul' music though...I am talking about spirtitaul music that involves a type of worship.....Christian worship for example looks like this...

"In worship we are ascribing greatness, goodness, and glory to God. It is typical of worship that we put every possible aspect of our being into it, all of our sensuous, conceptual, active, and creative capacities.
We embellish, elaborate, and magnify. Poetry and song, color and texture, food and incense, dance and procession are all used to exalt God. And sometimes it is in the quiet absorption of thought, the electric passion of encounter, or total surrender of the will. In worship we strive for adequate expression of God's greatness. But only for a moment, if ever, do we achieve what seems like adequacy. We cannot do justice to God or his Son or his kingdom or his goodness to us.
Worship nevertheless imprints on our whole being the reality that we study. The effect is a radical disruption of the powers of evil in us and around us. Often an enduring and substantial change is brought about. And the renewal of worship keeps the glow and power of our true homeland and active agent in all parts of our being. To "hear and do" in the atmosphere of worship is the clearest, most obvious and natural thing imaginable."

AMEN

What about out of body music like trance???? LOL

Feanor
04-23-2007, 11:29 AM
For me, I love head-music as you described, but I am not always in a cerebral state of being, ...

If you enjoy a good wallow in "heart" music of the Christian variety, you'll love my reference originally under the "Best Sounding Classical CD" thread ...

Pretty much my favorite classical album from a sound quality perspective is this one which is one I always use to evaluate components, (it's HDCD) ...
RUTTER Requiem and Five Anthems; Reference Recordings RR-57
http://www.referencerecordings.com/choraleorgan.asp
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Rutter_Requiem_pic.jpg

Rich-n-Texas
04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm going to go to confession on Saturday, then church on Sunday. :)

Bingo
04-24-2007, 01:45 AM

Peruvian skies - I thoroughly enJOYed your comments on worship music. You have pointed out that music can transcend the ordinary - take you out of the 'world' for a time and bring you in the presence of God. If, when we go to worship, we hear the same tripe that the world produces, we are not lifted up. As a cradle Catholic myself, I grew up with the wonderful music of the liturgy not the least of which was Gregorian Chant, but also included composers like Palestrina et. al. There are many liturgists who feel that in order to attract the young, we have to bend down to their music and play drums and permit shouiting...while my own theory is that let us lift them up and give them does of true musical beauty. Some of the hymns written after Vatican II are so ordinary that I expect to see my Priest come skipping down the aisle dropping rose petals.

I read your words about 'worship' music with hope in my heart. I 'hope' that many who read it will give your kind of music a chance to enter their souls especially when they want to worship their creator and not each other.

Bless you - Bingo

squeegy200
04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm a big fan of the string quartet form and have fairly large collection. I'll peruse it and come up with some recommendations -- watch the Rave Recordings forum.

You may like Janaki String Trio. They are a group of young but impressive musicians that seem to be making some waves.

http://www.janakistringtrio.com/

Their HDCDs are obtainable through Amazon.

Feanor
04-24-2007, 11:31 AM
You may like Janaki String Trio. They are a group of young but impressive musicians that seem to be making some waves.

http://www.janakistringtrio.com/

Their HDCDs are obtainable through Amazon.

As some might be aware, string trios are far less common in the repertoire than either piano trios, (piano, violin, and cello), or string quartets, (two violins, viola, cello). So it's nice to be reminded of these worthy works.

hifitommy
04-28-2007, 03:16 PM
i dont have hdcd capability at this time. soon i may purchase an oppo player which DOES so i can then take advantage of the many hdcd encoded discs that are in our collections. many times its only mentioned in the fine print along the bottom of the back of the disc box.

my sony ns500v sounds so good on rbcd that i am slow to hand out another $150 and also have just been made aware of the sanjean hd tuner for less than $200. DAMN this hobby, you can go broke saving money!

bobsticks
05-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Pretty suprised today when I plugged Willard Grant Conspiracy's Regard The End into the computer and it identified it as HDCD. Guess I never really noticed before but, frankly, it's not really my habit to look for such things.

hifitommy
05-02-2007, 06:46 PM
thats where i found some that some CDs were hdcd encoded.

R.S.
05-06-2007, 07:12 AM

Actually I have listened quite a bit to the Baroque and Classical eras. I like them all, but I'm more attracted to the Romantic era because they used more woodwinds and brass instruments that I am familiar with. (I played trumpet in school bands, I'm also not a big fan of harpsichords that were so popular with Baroque music).

I do like a lot of the Baroque music. I just prefer the bigger, more emotional sound of the orchestras used in the Romantic era. I also am a big fan of art history, and there's a lot of relations between that was happening musically in the Romantic era with what was going on in the art world. Not to mention the music has a lot of local folk flavor.

I also listen to two channel quite a bit. Particularly if the music is showcasing a particular instrument. But as you said, big choirs, etc. sound great in surround. A great SACD recorded in 5.1 is amazing. Once in awhile, I'll switch to 7.1 (speakers to the front, side and back). It puts me right in the middle of the stage, and brings back memories of those school concerts I played in.

emorphien
05-06-2007, 07:35 AM
thats where i found some that some CDs were hdcd encoded.
Yeah, a lot of them don't say even then.