Question about 5way connected speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about 5way connected speakers

goatspeed
02-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Hello folks,
I've been looking into upgrading my speakers, and I have been looking at various brands. I've found that the Mirage Omni line have 5 way posts to wire your speakers. What is this all about? I understand double wiring, but what is 5 way wiring? Thanks in advance.

topspeed
02-17-2004, 03:11 PM
A 5 way post simply allows you the various options in hooking your speaker wire up. You can thread the bare wire through a hole when you unscrew the post, put a spade or banana plug on the end of the wire and plug it into the end of the post, etc. It has nothing to do with other things like bi-wire or bi-amp so don't get confused. It's just a speaker wire connector.

poneal
02-17-2004, 07:33 PM
IMO that those 5 way binding posts are excellent little devices. Once you place the bare wire in that hole and screwed it shut that wire is not coming out easily. Those spring loaded ones (like booze has) are not nearly as good. I used to have to constantly check my wires to make sure it didn't come loose after the wife swept around the speakers. After I bought new speakers that came with the 5 way binding posts, I decided I would never go back to spring loaded again.