Von Schweikert VR1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Von Schweikert VR1

gio corleone
04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Has anyone tried matching either Unison Research Unico or Sonic Frontier's Anthem Pre1L/Amp1 combo with VR1?Any feedback is appreciated,thanks.

Rock789
04-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I'll copy my post ;o)

I have the VR1's with B&K PT3SII and Anthem PVA2

with a little tweaking with the preamp, they sound very good...
running straight pass thru, they are awsome with classical, but a little weak for rock imo (reason I tweak the settings for rock)

I got mine off the website (B-stock), so I would say they are worth this price, but not $1000 as the shop I first saw them stated...

gio corleone
04-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I'll copy my post ;o)

I have the VR1's with B&K PT3SII and Anthem PVA2

with a little tweaking with the preamp, they sound very good...
running straight pass thru, they are awsome with classical, but a little weak for rock imo (reason I tweak the settings for rock)

I got mine off the website (B-stock), so I would say they are worth this price, but not $1000 as the shop I first saw them stated...

Hi Rock789,
I think i should put weight on your input coz i listen mostly to classical and jazz music.you are right,when i auditioned the vr1 with an el34 based amp,i find it very sweet sounding indeed and laid back which is best for my music preference IMHO.thanks for the help,really appreciate it.

Rock789
04-06-2007, 04:32 AM
no problem, goodluck and enjoy if you decide to purchase ;o)

fyi, audiogon usually has vr1's on sale in the $400-$500 range...

and there are maple Astock for sale for $540 on their website (apparently maple is discontinued)
http://www.vonschweikert.com/_specials.htm

Duds
04-06-2007, 06:48 AM
I got mine brand spankin new for $600, and the stands for $150.

gio corleone
04-06-2007, 08:08 AM
I got mine brand spankin new for $600, and the stands for $150.

Hi Duds,
That was really a good buy,the cheapest i can get in my country is around $950 w/out the stand brand new.Lucky you:)

topspeed
04-06-2007, 09:56 AM
I paid $675 new a few years ago and still think they are one of the best mini-monitors you can buy, particularly at the price point most of us are paying. Thankfully, VSA hasn't bloated the price of the VR1's like they did everything else. Von Schweikert went from one of the best bargains in hi-fi IMO, to one that is as hideously priced as the Wilson's of the world. This is not to say they aren't still terrific speakers, only that VR4jr's at $3999 were something to get excited about, but at $5,695 the "value" equation is completely recalibrated. :(

gio corleone
04-06-2007, 10:59 AM
I paid $675 new a few years ago and still think they are one of the best mini-monitors you can buy, particularly at the price point most of us are paying. Thankfully, VSA hasn't bloated the price of the VR1's like they did everything else. Von Schweikert went from one of the best bargains in hi-fi IMO, to one that is as hideously priced as the Wilson's of the world. This is not to say they aren't still terrific speakers, only that VR4jr's at $3999 were something to get excited about, but at $5,695 the "value" equation is completely recalibrated. :(

Hi Topspeed,
bullseye,you are exactly correct.The same statement can be found in our local audio community forum authored by the local distributor of VSA and i believe that at $950 its still a good buy.Correct me if iam wrong but i think this is the only model that has not change its srp for quite a long time.Thanks for the input topspeed.:)

Rock789
04-06-2007, 11:08 AM
are all Von Schweikert models built in China?

topspeed
04-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Gio,

You are correct; the VR1 is the only speaker that has remained at it's intro price. It popped up to $1,200 for about 6 months, but Albert wisely returned it back to where it should be, which is an excellent deal for the level of performance. It seems like the price hike coincided with the name change from Von Schweikert to "V Speakers." Along with the major price jump came uh, well...clever new names such as Vanquish, Virtue, Vantage, and Vomit (OK...maybe not the last one, but you get the idea). :rolleyes: Whatever. They can keep their "Virtue" at $5,696 and I'll take the good 'ol VR4jr at $3,999!

Rock,

Only the "Retail" line (VR1 - VR4sr) is built in China. The "Custom" line (VR5 - VR11se) is hand built at the shop in San Diego.

gio corleone
04-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Gio,

You are correct; the VR1 is the only speaker that has remained at it's intro price. It popped up to $1,200 for about 6 months, but Albert wisely returned it back to where it should be, which is an excellent deal for the level of performance. It seems like the price hike coincided with the name change from Von Schweikert to "V Speakers." Along with the major price jump came uh, well...clever new names such as Vanquish, Virtue, Vantage, and Vomit (OK...maybe not the last one, but you get the idea). :rolleyes: Whatever. They can keep their "Virtue" at $5,696 and I'll take the good 'ol VR4jr at $3,999!

Rock,

Only the "Retail" line (VR1 - VR4sr) is built in China. The "Custom" line (VR5 - VR11se) is hand built at the shop in San Diego.

Topspeed, i never thought that the vr1 is made in China.For me,its still worth the price though.Besides,everything thing now is made in China,from toothpicks to battleships,condoms,etc.

Rock,Topspeed,Duds,
Any of you had the chance of comparing the vr1 with vienna acoustics haydn,or any other mini monitors of almost the same price range, in particular the new focal chorus 806V?

Rock789
04-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Topspeed, i never thought that the vr1 is made in China.For me,its still worth the price though.Besides,everything thing now is made in China,from toothpicks to battleships,condoms,etc.

Rock,Topspeed,Duds,
Any of you had the chance of comparing the vr1 with vienna acoustics haydn,or any other mini monitors of almost the same price range, in particular the new focal chorus 806V?
I have focal JM Lab 806 S series for my rears... I have done comparrison between the two, and the 806S holds its own (and was 1/2 the price of the vr1)
I honestly don't remember exactly (as I did this a wile ago when I first got the VR-1's) but I do remember being dissapointed the VR-1's did not blow away the 806S's...
equipment I used for comparrison... B&K PT3S2, Anthem PVA2, Marantz DV6500...

I have not auditioned the chorus V series... I am not sure what all has changed other than looks...

topspeed
04-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Rock,Topspeed,Duds,
I have not heard the 806V's or the Haydn's, sorry. When I bought mine, I audtioned monitors such as DefTech Power Monitors, Paradigm Studio 20's, Monitor Audio Gold, Energy Veritas, and JML Chorus' S. I can't remember all the model numbers as it was a while ago. All of the speakers did things well while lacking in other respects. Obviously, I felt the VSA offered the best balance and suited my listening habits. YMMV, so audition it and see how it sounds to you in your room with your equipment. That's really the only way you'll truly know.

gio corleone
04-10-2007, 04:13 AM
I have not heard the 806V's or the Haydn's, sorry. When I bought mine, I audtioned monitors such as DefTech Power Monitors, Paradigm Studio 20's, Monitor Audio Gold, Energy Veritas, and JML Chorus' S. I can't remember all the model numbers as it was a while ago. All of the speakers did things well while lacking in other respects. Obviously, I felt the VSA offered the best balance and suited my listening habits. YMMV, so audition it and see how it sounds to you in your room with your equipment. That's really the only way you'll truly know.

exactly,the best way is to audition it home really,thanks again topspeed.:)