Tonearm Balancing Problems [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tonearm Balancing Problems

JasonDelta
04-04-2007, 05:03 PM
First off, I'll readily admit that I'm a newbie to turntables, but I'm eager to learn and get into the thick of things because I love the vinyl format. It's probably also helpful to know that I'm 21 years old, so you'll have to bear with me in regards to terminology since I'm mostly new to this (besides playing around with my dad's Pioneer direct-drive TT).

Anyway, I recently bought an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 turntable via Amazon. I've been trying to set it up, and when calibrating and balancing the tonearm, I've noticed that the tonearm will not remain steady over to the platter, but consistently swings outwardly back to the tonearm lock. It does this even with anti-skate set to 0. I have checked the leveling of the turntable, but that does not appear to be the issue. Does anyone know what might be the problem here? I'm at a loss... Maybe it needs servicing already, even though it's brand new?

EDIT: I should clarify more as to what's going on. When trying to balance the tonearm over the platter so that it floats just above it, the tonearm will not remain above the platter but always swings back towards the tonearm rest outside. At first I figured this would be somewhat normal, so I continued to calibrate it based on the manufacturer's specifications of 3.5g of tracking force and an anti-skate setting of 3.5 for the cartridge and stylus. Once I had everything set, I tried playing some records, all with bad results. Most of the time, the tonearm will not remain on the record at all after being lowered onto the record - it'll contact and then get pulled back to the tonearm rest. Some records experienced skipping, and the few that actually played normally had sub-par sound, which I attribute to bad seating of the stylus in the groove since it is getting pulled away with too much force. I've tried balancing it all and whatnot multiple times, with no luck - and I'm not sure I want to mess around with it much more so I don't scratch any records or damage the stylus.

As of right now I don't have any alignment tools, however I have had a Shure tracking force gauge recommended to me. Also, my turntable model doesn't have a counter-balance.

Bernd
04-05-2007, 02:11 AM
First off, I'll readily admit that I'm a newbie to turntables, but I'm eager to learn and get into the thick of things because I love the vinyl format. It's probably also helpful to know that I'm 21 years old, so you'll have to bear with me in regards to terminology since I'm mostly new to this (besides playing around with my dad's Pioneer direct-drive TT).

Anyway, I recently bought an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 turntable via Amazon. I've been trying to set it up, and when calibrating and balancing the tonearm, I've noticed that the tonearm will not remain steady over to the platter, but consistently swings outwardly back to the tonearm lock. It does this even with anti-skate set to 0. I have checked the leveling of the turntable, but that does not appear to be the issue. Does anyone know what might be the problem here? I'm at a loss... Maybe it needs servicing already, even though it's brand new?

EDIT: I should clarify more as to what's going on. When trying to balance the tonearm over the platter so that it floats just above it, the tonearm will not remain above the platter but always swings back towards the tonearm rest outside. At first I figured this would be somewhat normal, so I continued to calibrate it based on the manufacturer's specifications of 3.5g of tracking force and an anti-skate setting of 3.5 for the cartridge and stylus. Once I had everything set, I tried playing some records, all with bad results. Most of the time, the tonearm will not remain on the record at all after being lowered onto the record - it'll contact and then get pulled back to the tonearm rest. Some records experienced skipping, and the few that actually played normally had sub-par sound, which I attribute to bad seating of the stylus in the groove since it is getting pulled away with too much force. I've tried balancing it all and whatnot multiple times, with no luck - and I'm not sure I want to mess around with it much more so I don't scratch any records or damage the stylus.

As of right now I don't have any alignment tools, however I have had a Shure tracking force gauge recommended to me. Also, my turntable model doesn't have a counter-balance.

Hi Jason,

Welcome. First a couple of questions. Did you install the cartridge?
Is the TT level? (put a spirit level on the platter and see).
Even though I am not familiar with your TT a Tracking force of 3.5 gr. sounds excessive and will wear your records.
Also I am not sure what you mean when you say that your TT has no counter-balance. It has to have one, otherwise how do you select the tracking weight.
I would love to help you to get going. So see if you can answer my questions first, and we will take it from there.
Peace

:16:

Resident Loser
04-05-2007, 07:25 AM

...I can add to Bernds response is: can you set the anti-skate for a negative number i.e. <0 ?

On the rest: No counter balance? Their would have to be some sort of compensation to account for different cart weights...there has to be a static balance point to which you then add the recommended tracking force.

And 3.5g sounds like way too much...1-1 1/2 g seems more appropriate...even 2g would be high in my experience

And, of course, leveling...don't eye-ball it, get a 10 in. spirit or even a bull's eye level, that sounds like the most plausible cause...there's no guarantee even the surface you have the TT on is truly level unless you check it...THEN check the TT itself...

And you may want to invest in a Shure Stylus Force gauge...way more accurate when dealing with this part of set-up...

jimHJJ(...of course, there are no strong magnetic fields in the vicinity right?...)

JasonDelta
04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
After perusing the manual again, I found a "Quick Start" guide in the box that had a few discrepancies in regards to describing how to attach the counterweight on the back of the tonearm. So this time I followed the Quick Start guide, and realized that I had put the counterweight and gauge on backwards, which is the reason it wasn't working right...kinda makes me feel like an idiot =/ Anyway, I got it working fine now. Although I am still troubled by the fact that the cartridge requires so much tracking force (as stated in the specifications for 3.5g) - I think it is probably designed for more of a DJ application, but should I be worried that using this for casual listening will diminish the lifespan of my records?

JohnMichael
04-05-2007, 10:35 AM
3.5 grams would not be my choice but the important thing is you are following the manufacturers recommendation. A cartridge set lower than it should can do more damage by not staying securely in the groove and bouncing into the groove walls. Keep your records and stylus clean and that will minimize record wear. When you have the bucks go for a lighter tracking cartridge.

markw
04-05-2007, 12:22 PM
What make and model cartridge is that? Did you select it or was it "thrown in" as part of a deal?

Decent cartridges that track in the 1.5 - 2.5 range can be had for $30 up.

You may want to invest in a Shure cartridge gauge, though. It's simplicity itself and will last forever. I'm still using one I bought in the 60's.

royphil345
04-06-2007, 04:05 PM
It's an AT DJ cartridge that comes with the table. It's reported to sound decent, but it tracks heavy and also has an elliptical stylus making record wear almost twice as bad as it would be using a conical DJ cart at higher tracking forces. No wonder it's a "freebie". I would definitely replace it as soon as possible. Audio Technica AT95E sounds good on a tight budget and tracks much lighter.

canuckle
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Definitely ditch the DJ cartridge unless you're a DJ. Get something that tracks at 1.2 - 1.4 grams like the AT440mla and your vinyl will thank you... as will your ears! ;)