everything was beat-detected ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : everything was beat-detected ...

Davey
04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Ah, another trip to the majors gone bad for one of my favorite little indie bands. Looked like maybe Wheat had given it up after their disappointment with Per Second back in 2003, but I see they now have a new album coming out in May on the little Empyrean label, so all might be well again in Wheat land.

Interesting interview from last year below. Had no idea that there was a "lost" version of Per Second that they recorded before Sony picked them up. Too bad, would like to hear that. As it is, I kind of liked the released one, even if it is a bit too polished for my taste. Hope and Adams is such a quirky charmer, would love if they could do something like that again.

http://looserecord.com/Interview_Indv/Interview_Indv.php?docid=65

Swish
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Ah, another trip to the majors gone bad for one of my favorite little indie bands. Looked like maybe Wheat had given it up after their disappointment with Per Second back in 2003, but I see they now have a new album coming out in May on the little Empyrean label, so all might be well again in Wheat land.

Interesting interview from last year below. Had no idea that there was a "lost" version of Per Second that they recorded before Sony picked them up. Too bad, would like to hear that. As it is, I kind of liked the released one, even if it is a bit too polished for my taste. Hope and Adams is such a quirky charmer, would love if they could do something like that again.

http://looserecord.com/Interview_Indv/Interview_Indv.php?docid=65

..doncha think? One reviewer commented that their new cd raised a few eyebrows when Capitol signed them because "There's nothing blatantly commercial about the Portland quintet, from Colin Meloy's quavery voice and hyper-literate lyrics to the band's wide-ranging music, which encompasses baroque pop, prog rock, and dozens of other styles. Then again, he did once sing, "I was made for the stage," and those who've seen the group live know this to be true. Sure, they're storytellers, but they're entertainers, too--just not in the Top 40 sense. Never ones to play it safe, their major label debut takes its inspiration from a Japanese folk tale. It travels from the Replacements-style balladry of "The Crane Wife 3"--which joins words like "Each feather it fell from skin/'Til threadbare while she grew thin" to the melody from "Here Comes a Regular"--to the ELP hoedown of three-part epic "The Island" to the haunting duet between Meloy and Laura Veirs on "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)." It's an impressively eclectic effort that somehow manages to avoid sounding scattered. Co-produced by Chris Walla (Death Cab for Cutie) and Tucker Martine (the Long Winters), the Decemberists' fourth full-length is richer, less immediately catchy than its predecessor (there's nothing as bouncy here as Picaresque's "Sixteen Military Wives"). It's also a deeper work that resists snap judgments. Some records hit you over the head with their brilliance, others need time to percolate. Time will tell if The Crane Wife is the Decemberists' best album--it's certainly their most ambitious so far."

Ok, I guess I should just shut the h<e>ell up about this band already. I like them a lot, ok?

Swish

Davey
04-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Well, the Decemberists are likely an exception.....doncha think?
Yea, it does sound like they were able to do what they wanted. In fact, I commented about that in Mark's thread ...

Just got a copy of the latest Decemberists from one of my buddies here to try out, and I gotta say that they moved to the majors well. Nice step up in production, and might even sound better than their indie stuff (which unfortunately is pretty compressed). Guess they must've had a hand in production, cause it's not all maximized like most other major label crap. And the guitars have come out! That's what I like most. One song even borrows that organ-like riff from the Head's Life During Wartime. Very cool :)

BTW, thanks for the goodies!

Swish
04-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Yea, it does sound like they were able to do what they wanted. In fact, I commented about that in Mark's thread ...

Just got a copy of the latest Decemberists from one of my buddies here to try out, and I gotta say that they moved to the majors well. Nice step up in production, and might even sound better than their indie stuff (which unfortunately is pretty compressed). Guess they must've had a hand in production, cause it's not all maximized like most other major label crap. And the guitars have come out! That's what I like most. One song even borrows that organ-like riff from the Head's Life During Wartime. Very cool :)

BTW, thanks for the goodies!

After reading that glowing review on the link you posted a while back, I thought you'd be all over it. 10 out of 10? That may be a little strong, but it's pretty dang good.

Swish

Davey
04-03-2007, 07:32 PM
After reading that glowing review on the link you posted a while back, I thought you'd be all over it. 10 out of 10? That may be a little strong, but it's pretty dang good.

Swish
Yea, it is pretty dadgum good, but also brand new to me. Love ol' Willy Vlautin, got a one of a kind voice and a crazy good way with words and music, bound to grow big time. Seems awful long right now, but haven't really had a chance to sit down with it. All the Richmond Fontaine albums I have are a lot more than just a catchy collection of songs, it's like they lived in the songs. Requires some investment to fully appreciate, I think.