Heaven & Hell [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Heaven & Hell

Mr Peabody
04-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Iommi and Dio are back together. They can't go as Sabbath anymore. I missed the story on that. I heard they were doing something but I didn' know if it was a tour or what. Tonight I heard one of their new songs, I think it was, Devil Cries. It was pretty good, didn't knock me out, but not bad. And that's not bad at all compared to some of these come backs. What I found annoying was the rythym guitar riff seemed louder than everything else in the song, putting Dio's voice in the background and even over shadowing Iommi's lead solo.

Anyone else heard any new H&H, or anyone care? I may stray but I have a hard rock heart.

Duds
04-03-2007, 05:38 AM
They are touring, and have like 3 new tunes. The tour will not have Bill Ward on drums, but will include Vinnie Appice. I think after the tour they plan on releasing a full length album.

They are releasing a Sabbath "The Dio Years" best of cd today.

Devil Cried is a great tune in my opinion. Classic Iommi riff and Dio vocals.

Rich-n-Texas
04-03-2007, 07:36 AM
How does Dio's voice sound these days? I'm sure Tony Iommi hasn't lost anything, but maybe the guitar track on the song you mention was intended to cover something up?

Is Vinnie Appice Carmine's son?

-Jar-
04-03-2007, 08:37 AM
How does Dio's voice sound these days? I'm sure Tony Iommi hasn't lost anything, but maybe the guitar track on the song you mention was intended to cover something up?

They're brothers.

Duds
04-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Dio's voice sounds great

Slosh
04-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Dio has rocked for a long, long time
Now it's time for him to pass the torch
He has songs of wildebeests and angles
He has soared on the wings of a demon

It's time to pass the torch
You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you
We're taking you to a home
But we will sing a song about you

And we will make sure that you're very well taken care of
You'll tell us the secrets you have learned, RAOW!
Your sauce will mix with ours
And we'll make a good goulash baby
Dio, time to go
You must give your cape and scepter to me
And a smaller one for KG
Go! Go! Dio! Dio!

Mr Peabody
04-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Dio the Sabbath years wasn't much, I only know of 2 albums, Heaven & Hell, The Mob Rules, maybe that's why they needed a few more songs. Dio should do, Dio the Rainbow Years. I wonder when the last time any of that was on the radio. Any Dio fan should have Rainbow Live. This features a killer 18 minute version of Catch The Rainbow. This version of Rainbow is a true super group with Blackmore, Cozie Powell and Tony Carey. One of our statins will play Man On A Silver Mountain occasionally.

Duds did you notice what I mentioed about he rythym guitar?

Dave_G
04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Some of the old Rainbow stuff rawked with the diminutive DIO on lead vocal.

He screeched on a few Kerry Livgren toons too that were very good.

I can't believe these guys are still at it.

The relatively recent Black Sabbath Last Supper concert dvd is muy excellent.

Dave

bobsticks
04-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Being slightly younger than my RR bretheren, my first exposure to Sabbath came not from any BS record but the solo work of Ronnie James Dio. For an interesting perspective on some of this work check out Dio's "We Rock" dvd. The cast of characters includes RJD, Viv Campbell on guitars , Jimmy Bain plodding on the bass, and the aformentioned Vinnie Appice who is every bit the skin basher that his brother is.

Check out the 18-minute track 3 Egypt(The Chains Are On)/Drum Solo/Heaven and Hell/Guitar Solo/Heaven and Hell/The Last in Line/Heaven and Hell medley. It's worth the nine dollar price of admission and in dolby digital no less...

Duds
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Duds did you notice what I mentioed about he rythym guitar?[/QUOTE]

I didnt but I have only heard the song on internet radio which isnt the best quality. I just got the actually cd though, so I will listen for it I finally spin it.

Mr Peabody
04-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey,be sure to come back and let us know how the album is.

That's interesting that Dio still does the medley thing. He does that on Rainbow live and he did it when I seen him in concert, mid 80's.

Duds
04-05-2007, 05:25 AM
The cd is pretty good. I never really listened to Sabbath with Dio, I felt that the only Sabbath was with Ozzy, but I do like the tracks on the disc. The three new tracks are all pretty damn good too. Do I like it better than the original sabbath? hell no.

as far as the rythym guitar being too forward, I didnt really notice it. Dio's vocals definitely stood out and I didn't feel like they were overtaken by Iommi's riff.

Hey,be sure to come back and let us know how the album is.

That's interesting that Dio still does the medley thing. He does that on Rainbow live and he did it when I seen him in concert, mid 80's.

Mr Peabody
04-05-2007, 07:08 PM
That's good to know, maybe the station I heard the song on had a screwed up MP3 version or something.

likeitloud
04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
They had to use Heaven And Hell, cause Ozzy got pissed, and firmly told them he
would go to court if they toured as Sabbath, plus there are hints after this Dio tour
ends, Ozzy will do a full Sabbath reunion. Check out Iommi/dio interview on VH1
classic. Also, this is not the first Dio reunion, in 92, he came back for "Dehumanizer "
and a tour. BTY, Heaven and Hell is better than anything Ozzy ever dreamed off.
Much better songs, that were up tempo, that early Ozzy slow mumbling BS sucks.
Of course he got it together going solo, his songwriting/with RR, was much better.