Well this isn't at all what I expected... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Well this isn't at all what I expected...

Ex Lion Tamer
04-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Picked up the Hold Steady album from last year that was such a critical success. I thought this was your typical indie rock album, but it's not. What's up with all these power chords, where are my jangly guitars? What's with these E-Street Band style horns and Mink De Ville piano chords. And where are my whiny indie-rock vocals? This sounds more like Wild & the Inocent era Springsteen, or maybe even Phil Lynott. I guess I should have read some of the reviews before taking the plunge.

Not that I didn't enjoy my first listen, the band sounds like it would be a smokin' live outfit, and the snypets of lyrics I made out sounded pretty compelling and humorous. Actually kind of a refreshing '70s sound as opposed to the 80s style stuff I'm usually listening to.

I'm finally catching up on all the '06 releases I missed. I got the Yo La Tengo album on nice double vinyl a couple of weeks ago; not quite the tour de force that some critics said, (it certainly 'aint no "Heart Beating as One" ), but still an enjoyable listen, and Matador's vinyl is always top notch. Also got "The Loon" from Tapes n' Tapes on vinyl and am really enjoying that one. Next up; the latest from TV on the Radio, which I also picked up today, I don't expect to be surprised by this one, though it does seem a little more accessible than "Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes".

Next on my to purchase list...Neko Case (never heard any of her albums yet), Eleventh Dream Day, and I may just pick up the new Mouse album while I'm at it.

Slosh
04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Zeros and Ones (11DD) is bland if you ask me. I like the new MM but it's not essential or anything. FWIW The Loon came out in late 2005 and easily would have made my top 10 if I purchased it before January '06. You need to buy Armchair Apocrypha next. Everything else is second rate.

Stone
04-03-2007, 04:25 AM
Next on my to purchase list...Neko Case (never heard any of her albums yet), .

This should be rectified ASAP. Do yourself a favor and get Blacklisted.

FWIW, I really like that Hold Steady album.

nobody
04-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Not real sure if you're saying you like the album or not. But, if you do, personally, I think their previous one, Seperation Sunday, is even better. Musically similar but I think the lyrics are better and the whole thing more immediately gripping. Could be that a few tracks and some lives just jumped out at me on that one, but for me, it's the stronger album.

I tried to go see 'em when they came to town a couple weeks back, but they sold out.

Davey
04-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Next up; the latest from TV on the Radio, which I also picked up today, I don't expect to be surprised by this one, though it does seem a little more accessible than "Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes".

Next on my to purchase list...Neko Case (never heard any of her albums yet), Eleventh Dream Day, and I may just pick up the new Mouse album while I'm at it.
Were you able to score vinyl on the new TV on the Radio? Didn't get a domestic release, did it? CD sounds pretty crappy, but I really like it, quite a bit more than the first one. Seems to always be something new to explore, so varied and interesting. Even some of the bonus stuff that I didn't care for much at first has grown on me. Just read recently that one of the guys is gonna be working on the new Massive Attack album, producing I think. That should be cool.

The Eleventh Dream Day is pretty nice, regardless of what our good buddy Slosh thinks. I listen to it all the time, right now even. Just happened to be up on deck. But also don't miss out on the early Lived To Tell that got reissued awhile back. Back in the day of their short-lived major label career. I picked up a used copy of the original for basically the cost of postage on amazon. Still sealed. Great stuff.

Haven't heard the new MM yet. Just got a copy of the latest Decemberists from one of my buddies here to try out, and I gotta say that they moved to the majors well. Nice step up in production, and might even sound better than their indie stuff (which unfortunately is pretty compressed). Guess they must've had a hand in production, cause it's not all maximized like most other major label crap. And the guitars have come out! That's what I like most. One song even borrows that organ-like riff from the Head's Life During Wartime. Very cool :)

Just downloaded a few of the songs off the upcoming Blonde Redhead record and have been enjoying that too. They are slowly morphing into the Cocteau Twins since moving to 4AD, which I do like, but I miss some of those old rough edges too. I think Kazu sang some on that TV on the Radio. Second song, "Hours". Just background, kind of generic, almost a doubling. Wish they had let her stretch out a bit. Get playful. Wouldn't mind at all if they picked up an unusual girl singer to take the place of the falsettos, which don't always sound that great. But enough TVOTR, also listened to some of the new Electrelane and it sounds great. Definitely have plans for that one. Posted a couple mp3 in the Pixies thread.

And Stone is always right, so just pick up Blacklisted. One of the best of the millenium. Love the newest one too. Not quite as lush sounding as Blacklisted, which seems odd since it's mostly the same cast and crew and recording studio, but musically might be her best. One great song after the next. Guess they just wanted a little different sound to it.

BTW, Rizzo's guitar soloing on "New Rules" is one of the best workouts I've heard in recent times. Like Yo La Tengo crashing in on Neil's old band during "Cortez the Killer". Speaking of which, have you heard the new ones from the Neil Young archive? Man, he's got some real buried treasure stashed all these years. Heard some of that new one, solo acoustic, man it sounds good. Gotta get me one :)

Also ... did you hear this? Cool cover, huh?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/flamingbucket/badneonsignfrontcover.jpg

Ex Lion Tamer
04-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Not real sure if you're saying you like the album or not. But, if you do, personally, I think their previous one, Seperation Sunday, is even better. Musically similar but I think the lyrics are better and the whole thing more immediately gripping. Could be that a few tracks and some lives just jumped out at me on that one, but for me, it's the stronger album.

I tried to go see 'em when they came to town a couple weeks back, but they sold out.

I do like the album and after further exploring it, will probably take a look at their back catalog.

Rae
04-03-2007, 10:44 AM
We here in the Twin Cities know the Hold Steady best as Lifter Puller, who were the toast of the town back in the late 90s. The bulk of their work is collected on the Soft Rock set, and you may find that appeals a little more to yr indie rock sensibilities (less AOR power and more lo-fi college rock). I think I even spread around one of Craig Finn's post-Lifter Puller side projects called Broker/Dealer on this board a few years back. The backing tracks on that one are laptop electronica, but his vocals are exactly the same as they are on any of his projects.

As far as Tapes & Tapes go... I've pretty much gotten over the novelty of people I know making records and going on tour and even achieving a measure of notoriety in the music world, but it still weirds me out to know that people I've met online from across the country are buying those records.

~Rae

Rae
04-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Here's a link to that Broker/Dealer EP that I just found online if anyone is inclined to check it out again:

http://snapcomics.com/brokerdealer.zip

~Rae

Rae
04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh man, and then there's this (http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1556163#), which I just stumbled across right after posting here.

Awesome.

~Rae

Davey
04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Oh man, and then there's this (http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1556163#), which I just stumbled across right after posting here.

Awesome.

~Rae
Sounds almost like Adam Duritz on that one. One two three ...

Standing in the spotlight
I bought myself a gray guitar
When everybody loves me, I will never be lonely

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Jim Clark
04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
The first time I listened to that Hold Steady album I kept expecting to hear
"baby we were born to run!"
so your E-Street band comment made me smile.

I kind of bought it based on the rep from the Obner board but mainly since it was also like 7.99 at Best Buy a couple of months ago.

Not really loving it but my kids actually like it a bit more than my usual fare. Maybe it's getting to be a generational issue. I did have to get glasses on Saturday. Bifocals no less.

Regards,
jc