The Best $1,000 Receiver Nowadays [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Best $1,000 Receiver Nowadays

Hungaro01
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi! Currently I am in the hunt for the best $1,000 receiver out-there in the mass market. My plan is to buy this unit within this month. So far my research has caught the attention of the following players: Yamaha RX-V1700, Denon AVR-2807, Onkyo RX-804. I am more into Home Theater Mode rather than stereo (70% vs 30%). Nevertheless, the sound quality variable weighs 90% into my decision. Should I be looking other models as well. All your feedback and/or recommendation will be greatly appreciated. (note- My Front Speakers and Sub are PSB image Speakers.)

spf
04-03-2007, 03:51 AM
You are in good shape with any of those receviers, Hungaro. They are all high current quality receivers with plenty of features and good clean sound. Having said that, if you can audition these with a selection of your own movies, that will make the decision much easier. I chose Denon over the Yamaha in my case because I found the Denon a more laid back and warm sound which is what I like. Hope this helps.

Shane

Hungaro01
04-03-2007, 04:23 AM
You are in good shape with any of those receviers, Hungaro. They are all high current quality receivers with plenty of features and good clean sound. Having said that, if you can audition these with a selection of your own movies, that will make the decision much easier. I chose Denon over the Yamaha in my case because I found the Denon a more laid back and warm sound which is what I like. Hope this helps.

Shane

I heard from friends that NAD Models are simple (no fancy features) but emphasizes in the sound quality. What about Marantz can they have the best of both worlds?

Tarheel_
04-03-2007, 07:53 AM
You can't go wrong with Marantz...

i'd look at the Harman Kardon AVR-745, which is in your price range. Also, check out Sherwood Newcastle receivers. Given your budget, there are more hits than misses out there. Good Luck.

spf
04-04-2007, 03:48 AM
I heard from friends that NAD Models are simple (no fancy features) but emphasizes in the sound quality. What about Marantz can they have the best of both worlds?

Yes NAD is a British company that makes very solid (and heavy) components. They are built simply and functional but have great sound quality. With a receiver like the T744, it will state that the rated power is about 50 watts x 5 but I would put it up against a mass market 100 x 5 receiver any day. The T744 or T754 would be great units for you.

Marantz reminds me a lot of Denon (Actually I think they have the same parent company although their lines are completely separate from each other.) and they have a very nice clean sound. Like I said before, the choices you've placed in front of yourself are very solid and you should have no regrets regardless of what you choose. Cheers

Shane

PeruvianSkies
04-04-2007, 04:31 AM
Yes NAD is a British company that makes very solid (and heavy) components. They are built simply and functional but have great sound quality. With a receiver like the T744, it will state that the rated power is about 50 watts x 5 but I would put it up against a mass market 100 x 5 receiver any day. The T744 or T754 would be great units for you.

Marantz reminds me a lot of Denon (Actually I think they have the same parent company although their lines are completely separate from each other.) and they have a very nice clean sound. Like I said before, the choices you've placed in front of yourself are very solid and you should have no regrets regardless of what you choose. Cheers

Shane

NAD is primarily known for being built like tanks and some people feel that they sound about as bad as a tank, but I suppose it depends. I have found them to be fairly neutral and like others will say...they are heavy, solid, and run a bit hot. Marantz or Denon are going to be about the same, even Pioneer Elite. They are more fancy with the features, but usually you have to get their flagship line to really get the best of both worlds, build + quality.

kexodusc
04-04-2007, 09:34 AM
If it's sound quality in the $1000 ball park, I'd narrow the list down very quickly to NAD and Outlaw Audio's new receiver. These are both more likely to have a slightly better sound than the typical HK, Denon, Yamaha candidates. A few years back I had an opportunity to do in home testing with all 4 of these brands, and NAD was a clear winner in sound quality in my books. The Denon and Yammie sounded so much alike it was scarry, the HK was noticeably warmer, but not my thing (and it's kinda ugly). Cost kept me from buying the NAD because I also wanted a integrated amp and the budget was firm, so I went a different route.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html
Maybe you could ask N. Abstentia about his Outlaw, he replaced a pretty decent Marantz with it.
These guys are getting really popular and subscribe to the philosophy of doing a few things really well rather than trying to compete at every pricepoint. I haven't heard this model personally, but I have experience with their amps. Just another option for you.

Only drawback I can see here with the likes of NAD or Outlaw though is the lack of parametric EQ. I don't know about you, but my room is an acoustic headache wrapped in diarrhea. A bit of eq'ing makes such a big difference in the sound quality in my room at a few otherwise very annoying frequencies, that I won't do without now. Especially since I listen to so much multi-channel audio. In this respect Denon and Yamaha might be up your alley. Want a bit better sound quality? Buy a solid power amp and just use the receiver as a pre-pro. I've experienced noticeable improvements in sound quality doing this, and ended up with what I feel is the best of both worlds for my needs.

r.j.sanc26
04-04-2007, 11:44 AM
the HK was noticeably warmer, but not my thing (and it's kinda ugly).

I'm using the HK 745 for my av receiver at the moment and yes I would agree that HK as a brand tends to be a warmer sounding receiver than most, generlly I've found that to be a positive....I am not sure there is anything ugly about that. Since the 745 is their flagship model the build quality is excellent and HK's are notorious for being underrated, in more than just watts - IMO - and with the addition of the TC 30 remote, it's a great feature that completes the package very nicely...I am pretty happy with mine.

I realize that the 745 is good for me, but may not be someone else's cup of joe....from my experience it's a quality product that I feel comfortable expressing such to others. I am curious though, what did you find ugly about it's output?

r.j.