damaged tweeter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : damaged tweeter

Hashpot
03-31-2007, 09:15 PM
I got the Onkyo (thib) HTs790 and because im a show off I took off the letf grill off the speaker and i dont know who poked in my tweeter but you can tell visually, its slightly damaged. Its a 1'' tweeter the right tweeter is bear-ly louder its alittle more crisp than the left. does anyone know what I can do to fix it myself rather than sending it in to get it replaced.

basite
04-01-2007, 03:04 AM
no you cannot fix it yourself...
you cannot replace the tweeter by another tweeter.

you can try to send it back for 'repair' but when it's just a minor thing, you should leave it and save on for a real HT setup...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

royphil345
04-01-2007, 03:56 AM
If the dome is pushed in, you may be able suck it back out using the hose of a vacuum cleaner. Put the hose over the dome... turn on vacuum... turn off before vacuum reaches full power...

If it's worse than that... You may be able to purchase a replacement tweeter from Onkyo's parts department or an Onkyo service center.

They generally only sell parts to repair techs who have service manuals / diagrams and order by part number. They will have little patience for "I need that thingie" calls... If you can quickly and accurately describe exactly what you need. Model number... tweeter for which speaker... they may sell you the tweeter you need. I've never tried to order a part from Onkyo, but that's generally how it works with other electronics companies I've dealt with... Installing a tweeter is usually very simple. One of the two terminals will be marked positive. Just make sure the wire from the positive terminal on the old one goes to the same terminal on the new one.

Search for Onkyo parts department or Onkyo service center on the web.

It's possible the part number is stamped or stickered on the tweeter...

Florian
04-01-2007, 06:50 AM
I bought a replacement tweeter from Onkyo before for my old THX-F2 System from them after my little brother pushed the tweeter in. I fixed it with a vacuum cleaner and still have some replacements.

Good luck

Flo

audio_dude
04-01-2007, 09:48 AM
wow, i like that vacuum cleaner idea, i'll have to suggest it to a local hi-fi shop that well, a lot of kids go in there and just LOVE to poke those silk domes...

basite
04-01-2007, 10:26 AM
a lot of kids go in there and just LOVE to poke those silk domes...

Somehow that sounds familiar :ihih:

didn't knew about the vacuum cleaner thing, not that I need it though...

keep them spinning,
Bert.

emorphien
04-01-2007, 10:37 AM
wow, i like that vacuum cleaner idea, i'll have to suggest it to a local hi-fi shop that well, a lot of kids go in there and just LOVE to poke those silk domes...
Someone poked in all the domes on the B&W speakers at a Cincinnati hi-fi shop once. The owner was telling us about it, the only ones they spared were the diamond tweeters. Even the tweeters on the 700 series with the little wire mesh grille were screwed up.

Hashpot
04-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Royphil 345 that's a good Idea vacuming out the tweeter is what ill do. I dont have a vacume though because I dont have any carpet in my house, but my auncle should have one thanks for the advice I knew someone would have a descent solution thanks

basite
04-01-2007, 11:16 AM
evil people screw up things...

maybe it was SVI because he couldn't stand that the b&w's were better than his jbl's...
or just a bored teen wanting some 'fun' screwing $$$ things up...

in a 'hi-fi' shop near us they had some focals with their inverted tweeters...
they can't push them in, but they were trying to pull them off the speakers !!
why do people want to do this?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Hashpot
04-01-2007, 11:27 AM
some people just dont appreciate the architectural beauty of speakers

emorphien
04-01-2007, 11:33 AM
in a 'hi-fi' shop near us they had some focals with their inverted tweeters...
they can't push them in, but they were trying to pull them off the speakers !!
why do people want to do this?
I actually mentioned that to the shop owner (he was getting rid of more and more B&W stuff in favor of Focal b/c he liked Focal better). Both of us decided the Focals would possibly be harder to damage, and that it would be easier to catch the vandal with his face on the speaker trying to suck the tweeter out :lol:

basite
04-01-2007, 11:38 AM
nah, I think they just try to pull them out with their fingernails or so...

I think the only way to stop those arses from damaging the speakers is by gluing the grille on them, and putting them away in a closet, and only take them out on request to listen to them, but then again, that'll scare the people in the shops...

you don't have those things in real high end shops here...
but it's still a shame...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

ericjones2006
04-01-2007, 04:01 PM
maybe this will help

emorphien
04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I wonder if you can use something like a dent king to pop tweeters back out :p

phillyguy
04-03-2007, 04:23 AM
Try using a bandaid. The adhesive is not that strong, but just strong enough to be able to pop it back out. I have done it before on my speakers, after i moved one without a grill and inadvertly pushed in the dome. It may take a couple of times, as the bandaid will pull off, but sick with it, eventually it will pop back out if it is not crushed too bad. A vacuum is is risky, as you don't have a lot of control over the suction strength. You may pull the dome completely off.

MikeyBC
04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
some tweeters have replaceable diaphragms , my PSB's diaphragms are replaceable but PSB wont tell you about it. just unscrew and remove the faceplate and after removing 3 or 4 screws you can lift the the dome and voice coil out in one piece then pop it back out with your finger and then replace, it fits into a specific spot so alignment will always be the same. I did this with mine before i eventually replaced it, but the repaired one seems to work fine.

RuSsMaN
04-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Pucker up, and 'kiss' it out. I've done the vaccum trick several times with success, a couple of times I've ripped the dome / dustcap.

In addition to what Mikey said regarding the screws, some tweeters, with some care, the mag structure can be popped or twisted loose, exposing the voicecoil and inside of the dome, which you can then carefully smooth out with something like a lint-free q-tip if your hands are suspect. Re-assembly is key, making sure the pole peice and vc don't meet - but if it's a twist on /off, it should guide itself in.

Cheers,
Russ