Looking DVD-Audio Player With HDMI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking DVD-Audio Player With HDMI

Robert-The-Rambler
03-31-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm looking for a DVD-Audio player in the $200 price range that will decode DVD-Audio in 5.1 and output it via HDMI as linear PCM 5.1/Multi-channel PCM. I just bought a receiver with HDMI Audio and I found that neither my HD-DVD player or my upconvert DVD player will output DVD-Audio over HDMI in 5.1. I can do 2 channel with my LG upconverter but that is simply not enough.

N. Abstentia
03-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Not gonna happen. DVD-Audio and SACD work via the multi-channel outputs only. You can thank the RIAA for that.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Not gonna happen. DVD-Audio and SACD work via the multi-channel outputs only. You can thank the RIAA for that.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/dvd-players/oppo-dv-970hd

The Oppo is only $150 but I was wondering if any others were out there. I'm thinking of getting that but I'm not sure if there might be a better choice for a little more.

spf
04-02-2007, 07:00 AM
I have the Oppo 970 and I love it for its core performance. The video is top notch and the audio is very clean and unobtrusive. Some of Oppo's secondary features bug me a bit but its definitely worth the cost. The only thing I would say to you is that if you have a larger screen than 50" (If you are using this for DVD Video as well) would be to choose the Oppo DV-981 as it has a better de-interlacing solution in the Faroudja chip. Cheers

Shane

westcott
04-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Not true. Some mfgs like Denon allow digital connections, but you have to buy their receiver and dvd player with the special link. And, it ain't gonna happen for $200

PeruvianSkies
04-03-2007, 12:33 PM

That OPPO player seems to be able to do it.

ericl
04-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I think some players can pass DVD-A, but not SACD.. the next question is, do you have a reciever that can decode it? This would be a great idea for an article -
a list players that can send dvd-a and recievers that play it back..

PeruvianSkies
04-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I think some players can pass DVD-A, but not SACD.. the next question is, do you have a reciever that can decode it? This would be a great idea for an article -

Maybe even include a huge (or maybe not so huge) list of quality players that are capable of doing the most. It would be great for people to see a list of which players can do what to find out which ones truly are the most universal. I think that type of information out there would be really served well. It seems that there are a ton of questions pertaining to players that (with the advent of HD formats) people are wanting the ability to do more with their players and/or receivers. Maybe even break it down into price brackets as far as which players can do what and at what price range. It would be a great artitcle for sure!

Robert-The-Rambler
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Maybe even include a huge (or maybe not so huge) list of quality players that are capable of doing the most. It would be great for people to see a list of which players can do what to find out which ones truly are the most universal. I think that type of information out there would be really served well. It seems that there are a ton of questions pertaining to players that (with the advent of HD formats) people are wanting the ability to do more with their players and/or receivers. Maybe even break it down into price brackets as far as which players can do what and at what price range. It would be a great artitcle for sure!

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/tp/aatpdvdasacda.htm

The high quality processing will look great on my 65" widescreen TV and the player will do DVD-Audio and convert SACD to PCM so I will get digital sound for both formats in 5.1. I've been waiting for years for this!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I have to resist the urge to run to Bestbuy and buy as many DVD-Audio and SACDs as I can. I ordered it for $229 direct from Oppo. It arrives tommorrow. Wish me luck. I can't wait!!!!!! Digital!!!! Digital!!!!! Digital!!!!

Robert-The-Rambler
04-03-2007, 04:54 PM

It would probably be a good idea to categorize them by the versions of HDMI they support.

I know DVD players need to convert SACD to PCM for people with HDMI 1.1 receivers to get 5.1 lossless digital sound. Does anybody know if HDMI 1.2 users need that? Here is a quote from an Audioholics article. I hate that there are so many version of HDMI. Settle on one and stop the nonsense already!!!!!!

HDMI 1.2

Released August 2005 - Added support for One Bit Audio, used on Super Audio CDs, up to 8 channels.

The complete article is here.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/display-formats-technology/understanding-hdmi-ver-1.3