LCD TV...Sony Bravia or LG [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV...Sony Bravia or LG

KJJ
03-31-2007, 06:03 PM
I am also looking into LCD 46 TV. Bravia looks great in reviews (except the clouding issue). A local store is trying to convince me that Sony LCD is overrated and that LG is significantly better (and there is a new 47 inch LG coming out). Any thoughts. Thank you

edtyct
04-01-2007, 07:48 AM
What do you think makes one LCD panel better than another? I'm not being facetious. To some people, it's an external feature, like price. To someone else, it might be color fidelity, or, seriously, lack of color fidelity. Then there's black level, grayscale, refresh rate, video/film processing, pixel count, etc. An unfortunate few even believe that the best panel is the one that most of the other people in their life who happen to express an opinion call the best, which is a recipe for disappointment or mediocrity. Not only could this small sample of assessors be misinformed about some, or all, of the parameters above; it's the rare panel without proper setup that that performs well out of the box regardless of how good it can be under the right conditions.

So as not to look like I'm copping out, I tend to like displays that are capable of, first, a fairly deep black and a fairly accurate grayscale, and certainly don't stray too far from accurate anywhere else in pure video performance. But I can tolerate a little, shall we say, creativity with the color palette, so long as the reference points--like blue skies, green grass, flesh tones, and fire engines--can be made to look pretty much as they should. The icing on the cake is a menu system that allows for serious calibration without a separate service-menu decoder for nearly every setting that matters, and can defeat such dubious features as edge enhancement and noise reduction when they run counter to their intention.

I haven't seen much of LG these days, but certain Sharp and Sony models work for me. Local stores will also tend to like the brands that they need to push or that offer incentives for dealers this or that particular month.

AVMASTER
04-01-2007, 09:19 AM
You can narrow the selection by asking youself what features and capabilities fit your particular needs, i.e. cablecard slot/ multiple HDMI connections/ VGA connection/ etc...Check out the remote control, is it simple-easy to navigate? Then there's the size of the cabinet( if you're not wall mounting ), if you are wall mounting you might want to check for things like a detachable power cord, VESA compliate mounting holes, weight, thickness, etc.. Lock down a budget, this will actually save time by eliminating those you know you won't pay the asking price and keep you from settling for less. Video quality is utmost, look for colors that are as realistic as possible, good black levels and contrast.

KJJ
04-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Thank you both for your response. The most important features that I am looking for in my question was 1.) Picture quality and accuracy 2.) Durability (as I will be paying ~3k, I want some longevity out of it). I will be using it for TV and movies (I dont play video games). Remote control not important, will get getting universal. Speakers not important, have 7.1 surround in room. I think I only will need 1 HDMI input, as everything will be going throught receiver.

Thanks for your time
KJ

AVMASTER
04-02-2007, 09:12 AM
one more question for you, why are you considering a LCD?

KJJ
04-02-2007, 09:46 AM
The main reason for the LCD instead of Plasma is the room (18ft x 14 ft) has a picture window in it (6ft x 4ft) as well as a glass door going outside as well. I have been told and read that if there is a fair amt of ambient light, then LCD is prefered. Is it safe to assume that your question arose from the possible fact that picture quality and durability is in the hands of plasma, not LCD?

thanks, KJ

AVMASTER
04-02-2007, 11:47 AM
yes, to a certain extent; a good plasma would have the better PQ. Durability will vary depending on the level ( good, better, best) of either technology. Under the conditions you describe, price point, features and capabilities, I would recommend a LCD monitor. Sharp PN-465u comes to mind. It will be more expensive but it does everything you requested very well

Rich-n-Texas
04-03-2007, 06:09 AM
If I remember correctly, and I think I read it here on the AR forums, LG is Goldstar reincarnated. Back in the 70's & 80"s, Goldstar was pretty much a bottom feeder (Low price yes, but low quality also). I view Goldstar of the olden days with Apex of the modern day. Down here in Texas, you can purchase Apex TV's at the local Albertson's grocery store.

All just my opinion though.

gyzmot
04-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi,me i just bought a 42" lcd from LG model 42LC2D and i got to admit i 'm very impress about the quality of picture that it gives me and it's got all the connection you need to make sure that everything will be fine once you got everything connected ,Sony i think you're paying a bit for the name not that it's not good but still it's Sony.However in 46" like you want to buy i would go with the Sharp but the Aquos serie,it's been well quoted and some of the reviews i saw was awesome,so hope it help and let us know what you decided to buy.
Have a nice day
cia

pixelthis
04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
I like my VIZIO, a lot of the panels come from a few manufactuers,
so a lot of times you are just buying the name.
And a big plus for lcd's (besides the fact they dont emit ultraviolet
radiation) is the nonglare aspect of the screen.
I have always put a light behind the set , looks great and no glare, well, with LCD, these displays are made for light to go through them, so no glare! You can look at something with a light on and no pic washout ,
etc. Really amazing.
I am going to post a thread about how LCD, won the display format wars, its superiority to other types of displays, oughta start some really good knockdown dragouts!!:ciappa:

DEVO
04-16-2007, 07:27 AM
I would put my display against any LCD tv in the market today. Don't care about rez or contrast ratio (they are only for consumers to get confused). When I was shopping, my eyes were the judge. If I had a window behind me, I would have reflection, but since I do not and they are to the right side, and most of my viewing is done at night anyway...The picture is gorgeous.
Yes, LCD is beginning to take over the format war due to consumer uneducation. Plasma's do not leak...Burn in is for the most part a non factor, I do have an XBOX360, and play it almost everyday.

KRiTiKaL
04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
I had been looking awhile now for an HDTV upgrade. After viewing hundreds and comparing prices. I went with the Sony SXRD rear projection 50". Sears had it for $1800, my room has 2 windows and a door. Can be bright at times, no problems at all. Its full 1080p for any future(5 years prob) evolution of HD. I was really considering a Bravia but for the price there wasnt that much difference. Just my advice though weigh your options. Enjoy whatever you get its all decent now.