Low volume speaker damage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Low volume speaker damage

G-Zwieb
03-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi again, I think I heard somwhere that playing decent speakers (ones designed for more power i guess) at lower volumes can damage them somehow. Is this true or is it just something I dreamed up? Im sure an amp comes into play somehow if true.

Feanor
03-31-2007, 02:04 AM
Hi again, I think I heard somwhere that playing decent speakers (ones designed for more power i guess) at lower volumes can damage them somehow. Is this true or is it just something I dreamed up? Im sure an amp comes into play somehow if true.

This is complete nonsense.

There is a related concept to which there is some truth. That is, if speakers are driven by an underpowered amplfier they can be damaged if the amp is driven to "clipping" levels which means severely beyond its rated output. This is not quite the same as what you descibed. Driven to clipping levels, all amps sound terrible so you generally have warning of the condition and you can back off the high volume in time.

mlsstl
03-31-2007, 05:02 AM
As noted above, the thought that low volume by itself could "damage" a speaker is nonsense. My guess is it is an inaccurate analogy from the world of cars. Car engines can gum up if only driven at low speeds for short distances. However that is due to the residues left by oil and gas when they aren't burned off because the engine doesn't reach full operating temperature for a long enough period.

Speakers obviously don't contain oil and gas so can't gum up from residues turning gummy or carbonizing.

That said, some speakers don't sound their best at lower volume but they certainly aren't being damaged in any fashion.

Dusty Chalk
03-31-2007, 10:18 AM
I concur: nonsense.

audio_dude
03-31-2007, 11:24 AM
mhm, complete BS...

oh well, its fun busting audio myths, now go away, i'm expecting a shipment of pixie snot any moment now.