Ready to take the plunge for a new AV reciever [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ready to take the plunge for a new AV reciever

mufj
02-17-2004, 04:23 AM
I have planning on upgrading my old Sony reciever for about a year and am now ready to take the plunge. I plan on connecting it two the energy take 5.2 speaker system in a 10 X 20 room for mostly home theater and some music. In addition I will connect the B speaker outpu two two speakers to two sets of speakers (one set of Bose bookshelf in my bedroom and a set of PSB bookshelf speakers in my living room) to be used for mostly music. These will be connected thruought an appropriate speaker switchI(SIMA).
I have been debating between the Yamaha htr 5660 and the Denon AVR1803 and have decided on the Yamaha based on its reliability. Does anyone have any comments on this decision or alternate suggestions. Does anyone think I will have a problem doing what I want to do with this. I know many of you will say go for the RVX1400 but I cannot afford the extra money. Please any comments or sugestions appreciated

Bryan
02-17-2004, 05:53 AM
The ohm load from the B speakers could fry the receiver (especially if you have the "A" set going simultaneously). Perhaps, in addition to either the 1804 or 5660 you could buy either a receiver or integrated amp at a yard sale.

mufj
03-04-2004, 10:36 AM
The ohm load from the B speakers could fry the receiver (especially if you have the "A" set going simultaneously). Perhaps, in addition to either the 1804 or 5660 you could buy either a receiver or integrated amp at a yard sale.

[QOTE=MUFJ}have planning on upgrading my old Sony reciever for about a year and am now ready to take the plunge. I plan on connecting it two the energy take 5.2 speaker system in a 10 X 20 room for mostly home theater and some music. In addition I will connect the B speaker outpu two two speakers to two sets of speakers (one set of Bose bookshelf in my bedroom and a set of PSB bookshelf speakers in my living room) to be used for mostly music. These will be connected thruought an appropriate speaker switchI(SIMA).
I have been debating between the Yamaha htr 5660 and the Denon AVR1803 and have decided on the Yamaha based on its reliability. Does anyone have any comments on this decision or alternate suggestions. Does anyone think I will have a problem doing what I want to do with this. I know many of you will say go for the RVX1400 but I cannot afford the extra money. Please any comments or sugestions appreciated[QUOTE]

Thanks for replying. The HTR5660 which is waht I am leaning to is rated for 4ohm.
I was thinking of using a 4 way speaker switch(Sima's switch). Will this be a problem. Is there a better way to do what I want to do.
I am really an amatuer at this. I know enough to get into trouble but not eough to get out

Thanks