Does anyone own/heard of the Sherwood Newcastle recievers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone own/heard of the Sherwood Newcastle recievers?

philmalik
03-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I am looking to buy a reciever for my home theatre and happened into this store that sells the Sherwood Newcastle brands (among others).

In the store, they demoed the R871 reciever, and I was very impressed.

However, in seeing what reviews are on the internet, that brand seems to get very little recongition on any audio review website.

The only reciever that seems to get reviewed is the R965.

I am looking to spend between $1500-$2000 Cdn for a reciever, and they had the R871 at around $1300.

Does anyone have any person reviews/views/opinions on either the R871 or the R965 (and how much the R965 retails for in stores)?

It's either that one or the Yamaha new 2700 is the way I'm leaning.

thanks

PeruvianSkies
03-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Have you ever tried Denon Receivers? What about Pioneer Elite Receivers?

kelsci
03-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Here are two links on reviews that you can try. You are lucky that you have a store to at least audition any Newcastle products. They are supposed to enjoy a good reputation even though the company remains obsure in the market. During the past winter, I was able to listen to some Yamaha models only in 2 channel mode of which the 2700 might have been one of those I auditioned and I personally did not like its two channel sound. I did like the two channel sound from the Pioneer Elite models 81,82 and 84.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-v2700-receiver-review/

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/406sherwood/

unsubconscious
04-06-2007, 07:34 AM
If you are in Alberta, check out General audio in Calgary, as they are a Newcastle dealer.
Also, google sherwood newcastle to find the website. I believe they post reviews on their products. From What I have seen and read, they are very nice pieces.
Good hunting.
Cheers.