Redford's Most Memorable.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Redford's Most Memorable..

PeruvianSkies
03-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Robert Redford is without a doubt one of the greatest actors of all time and is one of my personal favorites...so which do you feel is his most memorable role???

Worf101
03-30-2007, 03:48 AM
I loved Jerimiah Johnson.. The scenery, the tone, the even handed presentation of "life on the edge of civilization". I can watch that movie anytime, any day.

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
03-30-2007, 04:10 AM
I knew the answer to this one before I even saw the list of movies. The Natural is one of my all-time favourite movies...ever.

kexodusc
03-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Wow...never saw this poll coming. I really loved Jerimiah Johnson, The Great Gatsby, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Redford is one of those actors who's always flown under the radar IMO. At least in my lifetime. Consistently good, but perhaps never exceptionally great. Can't really think of many of his movies that routinely make the all-time greatest films lists of the top of my head, but an aweful lot that probably come close.
IMO, he's carried a lot of mediocre films (and co-stars) over the years. The Last Castle and The Horse Whisperer come to mind.

Funny how it works, he's a way better actor than Tom Cruise, but probably doesn't get near the recognition.

GMichael
03-30-2007, 05:30 AM
I must be older than you Kex. When I was young he was huge. The Way We Were, The Sting, The Great Gatsby & Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were big hits. All the women were ga-ga over him.
I guess I'll have to vote for the kid. I was very young when I saw that and the ending really got to me.

Troy
03-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Yeah, he was one of the biggest stars, most popular leading men of the 70s.

I'm with Worf, Jerimiah Johnson is one of my favorite westerns of all time, mainly becuase it's doesn't follow the usual westeern story arc. It's a different side of the "taming of the west" story.

Sundance defined him and made him a star, but Johnson was the much meatier role.

For me, "Barefoot in the Park" is one of my favorite Redford roles, and a VERY funny movie all around. Jane Fonda (age 20 or so) was hot in that.

kexodusc
03-30-2007, 07:22 AM
I must be older than you Kex. When I was young he was huge. The Way We Were, The Sting, The Great Gatsby & Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were big hits. All the women were ga-ga over him.
I guess I'll have to vote for the kid. I was very young when I saw that and the ending really got to me.

Well I'm definitely from the younger crowd here...I'll give you a hint...
The year I was born, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was all the rage...

GMichael
03-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Well I'm definitely from the younger crowd here...I'll give you a hint...
The year I was born, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was all the rage...
Yeah, you were born several months after I graduated HS. It was a good year for music.

kelsci
03-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Although not a movie, he played DEATH in an excellent twilight zone episode.

Dusty Chalk
03-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I have a hard time picking, he played such charismatic roles in All The President's Men, Butch Cassidey and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, and Brubaker, that I have a hard time picking any one of those. I went with Brubaker. What we have here is, 'failure to communicate'. Kind of a predecessor to Tim Robbins' character in Shawshank Redemption, don't you think?

And yeah, I really liked him in The Twilight Zone.

Smokey
03-30-2007, 12:00 PM
I thought he was pretty good in his 1972 movie the Candidate, with Peter Boyle. Especially liked the last scene where he unexpectedly won a senate seat (he just enter the race to spread his liberal values since he knew he will lose).

He pulled his campain manager Marvin (Boyle) aside in his victory party and ask him: “Marvin ... What do we do now?”

Robert-The-Rambler
03-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Robert Redford is without a doubt one of the greatest actors of all time and is one of my personal favorites...so which do you feel is his most memorable role???

His narration is so fitting . What a wonderful movie with beautiful scenery. I think I just may watch it again tonight.

PeruvianSkies
03-30-2007, 06:51 PM
His narration is so fitting . What a wonderful movie with beautiful scenery. I think I just may watch it again tonight.

That movie is very mixed to me. I personally liked his performance in THE LAST CASTLE and SPY GAME if I had to pick more recent films. And for the record the year that I was born....STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was released as was SUPERMAN II. So yeah...i'm kinda younger than most on here, but I love classics more than anything else and have more movies in my collection pre-1980 than post 1980.

Kam
04-02-2007, 07:46 AM
i dont feel fair voting in the polls where i haven't seen ALL the movies, but i did anyway, and went with Kid (i really like newman as well), although i did just add jeremiah johnson to my netflix queue!

filecat13
04-05-2007, 10:58 PM
My oldest son is named Jeremiah. He was born the year Jeremiah Johnson came out. You can figure out the rest.