Power conditioner VS cable conditioner [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Power conditioner VS cable conditioner

jlamo
03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
What is the different between power conditioner and cable conditioner? For example, Richard Gray's Power Company Vs Wire World power cable. Which one has significant impact for the system? I have limited budget, so I need to choose one.

topspeed
03-30-2007, 09:06 AM
What is the different between power conditioner and cable conditioner? This article (http://psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp) will explain the differences. It's by PS Audio, the company that practically created the power conditioning niche, so expect it to be somewhat biased. It is still very good information nonetheless.

For example, Richard Gray's Power Company Vs Wire World power cable. Which one has significant impact for the system? I have limited budget, so I need to choose one.The simple answer is neither will have a significant impact. You might experience a bit better resolution, perhaps cleaner backgrounds...or you may not. There are a lot of variables to be considered such as how dirty your power is in the first place, your associated gear (no offense, but while 603's are very good speakers, their ultimate ability to resolve differences in line power is questionable), and the acuity of your hearing. It's safe to say regardless of the variables, any conditioner or re-generator will have a limited impact...if any at all.

Hope this helps.

jlamo
03-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks, topspeed. Beside B&W 603, I am using Rotel RSP-1068, Rotel RMB-1075, Velodyne SPL 1200, Denon 3930 and Samsung 46 Inch Full HD. How about the impact my system for audio and video with power conditioner?

topspeed
04-02-2007, 10:24 AM
The "impact" is relative to how dirty your power is in the first place. PS Audio just released this video (http://www.psaudio.com/video/newsletter_video.html) that gives a graphic explaination by bench testing a few conditioners. Now, understand this is a pseudo-ad for their Duet/Quintet products, but once you get past the showmanship, it is quite interesting.

Chances are, if your power is corrupted, you'll notice it a lot more on your video than audio. This is mainly because it's a lot easier to see artifacts, snow, and other anomalies than it is to hear blacker backgrounds, better soundstaging, etc.

Hope this helps.

westcott
04-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Most components sold today for audio and video have very good self regulating power supplies. Stick with a good surge protector with signal isolation and save yourself some money.

jlamo
05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Topspeed, I was skeptical improvement of power system same as you however I was be able to loan RGPC 400 and Wire World Stratus power cable from audio store. it is really make significant improvement of my system althought mys sytstem is not really high end as you said. My LCD more contrast, soundstage, resolution and sound much more clear. The bottom line is RGPC is good product and power regeneration or conditioner make different.