Thiel Cs6 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thiel Cs6

TWOSOCKS
03-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I Have A Pair Of Thiel Cs6's And Am Looking For New Amplification. Can Anyone Suggest A Musical Partner For These. I Was Using An Ayre V5x.

bobsticks
03-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the forum TWOSOCKS. My one and only experience with the Thiels was with a Cary cdp and a Perreuax amp. At low levels the sound was fair to good, but I have no doubt that the certain "constriction" that I heard was due to the amps not the speaks.
So to that ends I would say look for something with a good bit of juice especially if you are often of a mind to open things up. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Musical Fidelity is always a safe bet. They have something in practically every price range.

dmb_fan
03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Gary Dayton, a Thiel staffer who has a blog at thielaudio.com would be a great person to ask this question.

My own thoughts are that Thiel partnered with Bryston at the latest CES show demonstrating their newest and best 3.7's with Bryston amps. They also use Bryston amps (among others) in their listening room at their factory.

At 86dB sensitivity and a 4ohm load, the more power, the better (as long as more power doesn't correspond with lower quality). I would think the 4b sst would be a terrific match. At $3,000 this is a reasonably priced match for the CS6's and with a 20 warranty and a rep for the best build quality in the business, how can you go wrong?
http://www.bryston.ca/4bsst_m.html

Folks could make more nuanced suggestions if they knew what your listening preferences are for music genres, SPL's (volume), and the size of your room.

Best,
Adam

topspeed
03-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Gary Dayton, a Thiel staffer who has a blog at thielaudio.com would be a great person to ask this question.

My own thoughts are that Thiel partnered with Bryston at the latest CES show demonstrating their newest and best 3.7's with Bryston amps. They also use Bryston amps (among others) in their listening room at their factory.

At 86dB sensitivity and a 4ohm load, the more power, the better (as long as more power doesn't correspond with lower quality). I would think the 4b sst would be a terrific match. At $3,000 this is a reasonably priced match for the CS6's and with a 20 warranty and a rep for the best build quality in the business, how can you go wrong?
http://www.bryston.ca/4bsst_m.html

Folks could make more nuanced suggestions if they knew what your listening preferences are for music genres, SPL's (volume), and the size of your room.

Best,
AdamHoly Cow! Now there's a poster I haven't seen in a looooooong time! Next thing you know, Piece-it-Pete, Skeptic, and Mash will be chiming in.

Anywho, DMB touched on a couple of points that should not be disregarded with Thiel designs; There are two things Thiel speakers are infamous for:

* 1st order xovers
* Tricky impedence charts

While 4 ohm speakers aren't the easiest speakers to drive, it's the impedence swings that really get a lesser amp's goat. Thiel's are notorious for swings, hence their fickleness with amps. You're going to want to try a lot of different set-ups before you decide. Bryston's are an inspired recommendation as they can practically power an arc welder. Brute strength is a good thing! Depending on your budget, you might also consider McCormack or Classe. There's an interesting thread on ICEpower switching modules in the amp forum you might want to peruse as well. Switching amps are load invariant, so they'll remain unaffected by the Thiels impedence dips.

Hope this helps.

hermanv
03-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi twosocks:

We need a budget.

Will you consider used? The Bryston mentioned earlier can be found for around $1,600 with a 20 year transfferable waranty.

See http://www.audiogon.com/

TWOSOCKS
03-30-2007, 01:52 PM
I Have A Pair Of Thiel Cs6's And Am Looking For New Amplification. Can Anyone Suggest A Musical Partner For These. I Was Using An Ayre V5x.

Well I thank all of you for your help. What I ended up deciding with was a Spectron Musician III. I was very close on getting a Bryston 4bsst which I might do anyway just to make an a/b comparrison. Then I will make my final decision. Others I had in mind was the McCormack DNA-500. My room size is 13x19x10 and I mostly listen to jazz, classical, Dave Mathews and of course Rush. Next is a disc player upgrade.