Pioneer DV-333 DVD player and VSX-D510 receiver, any good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DV-333 DVD player and VSX-D510 receiver, any good?

B_R_Y
03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
As you can see, I'm new here, so please bear with me. I'm also very new to audio equipment, so any info that you guys can give me is very greatly appreciated!

I'm looking into building a small sound system for my computer at home. Nothing too fancy, but I would like it to have better sound quality then my Logitech Z2300's which I'm currently using. I'm not new to computer hardware, so anything needed on the computer side of things will be sorted out easily.
What I'm looking to do is use the optical (digital) outs from my sound card and hook it up to a home theater receiver (am I using the right terminology?). At the moment I'll just have a stereo setup, but may eventually expand to surround.
For audio outs, I have bith Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF outs.
Later in the year I plan to upgrade from integrated audio (Intel HD audio from a P5B) to a dedicated sound card (probably something from AuzenTech).

But for now its integrated audio.

I do know a little about hooking up speakers and the like. I've set up a few home theaters, but they were all from a box, so it wasn't hard at all.
But I would rather build my own sound system from good parts.

On to my question. I found the Pioneer DV-333 DVD player and Pioneer VSX-D510 amp/receiver used for $150. Is this a good deal, I can use the DVD player somewhere else or sell it, but is the amp good for a beginner sound system? It looks like it has optical ins and the like.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

By the way, is this post even in the right place? Ya, I'm that new... :P

Rock789
03-28-2007, 02:03 PM
both for $150, doesn;t sound bad at all...
but what kind of speakers are you auditioning?

this unit has 1 optical and 1 coax digital input
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_36872_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_Prod uctDetailComponent

there appear to be many good reviews for the dvd player
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/pioneer/dvd-players/PRD_124323_1587crx.aspx

I am using the digital outs on 2 of my computers for better audio ;o)

N. Abstentia
03-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I had a Pioneer 333 at one time...sold it because it wouldn't play any recordable DVD's. If that's of no concern, it's a good player but not as good as a new $59 player from Best Buy.

B_R_Y
03-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for replying, the dvd player is a little on the old side too, so I'll see if I can barter the price down a little. Plus I have tons of DV8's backed up to DVD. My family went a little video camera happy

That was my next question, what to look for in speakers.
I don't want to spend too much money on them, but I also want to get some that will be better then my current speakers http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9372#Specifications
They sound good, but not great. I would like them to be better in reproducing piano and guitar. They are fine for base, but I don't listen to hip hop or anything heavy on base, plus is I want base I can get a dedicated sub.

I love the review database on this site, it rocks! I'll be using it to see what speakers that I find are like, but I don't really know where to start looking (ie Brands, Types, etc).
I don't have an abundance of room for speakers, so bookshelf will probably work the best.

Any suggestions/favorites for speaker brands?
Any info would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Rock789
03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
1st speaker I think of when I hear "bookshelf for limited space" is a paradigm atom...
very nice speaker, very small, and can be had for <$200 new...

whats your price range...
if you can go with any bookshelf, and have a wider price range, we can suggest many for you to audition...

B_R_Y
03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks again!

I don't have a price range per say, I would like to keep it as low as possible. If it goes +$500 I may have to do it in pieces, plus I'm just mainly looking for ideas.

I know assembling a custom system will ultimately have better sound quality, but are home theaters in a box worth looking at?

I don't have my heart set on that receiver, so can you recommend any good ones that have optical ins?

Thanks!

By the way, I live in Canada, so some audio gear might not be sold up here :(

Rock789
03-29-2007, 04:37 AM
is the $500 for everything, or just the speakers?

I would suggest Focal JMLab Chorus S or V 706 bookshelves ...
if you need to fit the receiver in the price too, check out the 705...

perhaps a used denon, pioneer elite, integra, or nad could be in your pricerange ?

B_R_Y
03-29-2007, 07:53 AM
My budget is kind of up in the air right now. I'm not sure how much my current speakers for my computer will sell for, if at all an so on.
But any sort of idea that you can give me is great!

I'll start looking at pawn shops and the like for some older receivers.
And I'll start looking for places that will sell some good speakers at a good price, I bet stores like Best Buy wont have anything.

Rock789
03-29-2007, 08:23 AM
the insigna's arn't bad if they go back on sale for $40... I wouldn't spend however much they are asking when they are not on sale... (>$50?)

B_R_Y
03-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks again!

I may be able to get my hands on a Denon AVR-1803, at the $200 range. I looked at some reviews and it seems to be a good receiver.
Any thoughts?

The guy also has some speakers, they are Mission 765 speakers, I don't know anything about them, plus I don't have a firm price on them yet. But do you think they are good speakers, or should I continue looking?

Thanks!