Which surrounds to use [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which surrounds to use

darth2222
03-28-2007, 04:37 AM
I need to buy a set of matching surrounds for my studio 20V.4 i will have to go with either Atoms, Titans, or Mini Monitor any suggestions will be appreciated thanks again

kexodusc
03-28-2007, 06:53 AM
To be honest, a few years back when I had Studio 20's as surrounds, I sold a pair off and used Atoms for a few months. I barely noticed a difference during movies. I have a 7.1 setup, and it's configured more for multi-channel audio than home theater, but works well for both.
Honestly if you're not using them for SACD/DVD-A playback, you could easily get by with the Atoms. The others are better speakers, but as a surround speaker, you really don't take advantage of the slightly deeper bass extension if you're using a subwoofer, and I think the Atoms represent the best value. I actually prefer the midrange over the Titans - something about that larger woofer just didn't jive with my ears.
That option could free up money to put elsewhere (maybe saving for another set of Studio 20's in the future?).

They're nice and small and easy to wall mount too, which is a plus.
Maybe you could snarf a pair of Studio's used off ebay or audiogon for cheap?

darth2222
03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Whats the best way to mount them. Can you tell me what brackets or hardware you used i have two studs where they need to go

kexodusc
03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Paradigm sells a custom fit mount that screws into the Atoms...I think they're $20-$30 or so, they work very well. Your Paradigm dealer would have them.
That's what I did. He threw them in when I purchased mine. Mount them about 3 feet above your ear level when you're seated on the walls just a few inches back of either side of your head. (unless your wife over rules you because she bumped her head on them).

TIC
03-28-2007, 01:33 PM
A few years ago I purchased an overstock Paradigm HT speaker system from a local custom installer. It included Mini-Monitors for the mains and Atoms for the surrounds. Honestly, I preferred the Atoms over the Mini-Monitors for regular 2-channel music production. The Minis just had too much mid bass bloat to them. Plus the Atoms have the custom mounting adapter on the back.

Go for the Atoms...

Enjoy,

TIC

darth2222
03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
The company i am trading in my 470 CC for the Studio 20V4 has to have a trade up policy so i paid 600 for CC and the 20 will cost me 425.00 I have an older pair of atoms i can use for my back surrounds but i have to spend another 300 somewhere and it has to be a speaker. I Could get a PDR 10 OR 12 but i have my heart set on a SVS 20-39 PCI. So i was going to get a brand new pair of speakers for the surrounds and sale my older set of ATOMS. A new pair of Atoms wont be enough to cover the extra. So was going to go with Mini-Monitors but from what i hear thats a bad idea so forget that. Any suggestions guys.

BC Dave
03-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi,

I used to own a pair of Mini Monitor V1s and I got rid of them because they were too bright and could sound "in your face" with saxophone, trumpet, etc. I was astounded to hear a V5 set of Mini Monitors the other week. They sounded completely different -- so much more refined. I had a pair of Titan V4s that I had disconnected and put in my closet because I found them edgy. I was able to trade them back in on the new Mini Monitors and I am thrilled with them. I have an old VMPS passive Original sub with a new Megawoofer upgrade and 300 watts of power and this combo sounds just fantastic to me. This is the first Paradigm product in my price range that I would have ever described as refined. Maybe it's the new tweeter or crossover but these things just singggg... And the mids are so smooth. Paradigm has it right with this version!!!