What Villain made you the most "uneasy"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What Villain made you the most "uneasy"?

Worf101
03-28-2007, 03:32 AM
Suspend belief for a bit. Which character (NOT MONSTER) you've seen on the big screen, usually a villain, made you the most fearfull or "uneasy"? Who's that character so "dangerous" you really never, ever wanted to meet this person by accident or on person? The people I chose were on the whole "more believable" than some who seem to me a bit "superhuman" like Hannibal Lecter and the like, hence here's not here, neither is Norman Bates a character just a bit too "over the top" but one you could make an arguement for. The rest of these folks you could either bump into on the street or existed in real life or perhaps not... what the heck. I chose who I chose...

Da Worfster

kexodusc
03-28-2007, 04:11 AM
Tim Roth as Archibald Cunninghamn in "Rob Roy"! GAME OVER!
This guy was as slimmy and greasy as they came, Darth Vader would keep his distance...

Edit: I went with Kathy Bates for the poll...yikes.

GMichael
03-28-2007, 05:13 AM
It was a tough call for me. I picked Nurse Ratched, but that b.tch from Missery was a sicko too.
Not on the list, the girl from Transporter two. Not just sick, but dirty and sweaty too.

SlumpBuster
03-28-2007, 05:49 AM
No one ever gets my Pabst Blue Ribbon reference from Blue Velvet. "Baby wants blue velvet!"

Worf101
03-28-2007, 07:47 AM
To me it was a toss but between DeNiro's Max Cady and Kathy Bates in "Misery". What DeNiro did to Nolte's secretary (I'll spare you the really gory details) vs. what Bates did to Cann's feet, pheh take your pick. But I think you'll agree that we're more likely to meet a Cadylike character on a bad blind date than Bates having an obsession with us.

Disturbing poll...

Da Worfster

Troy
03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Frank BOOTH, baby!

I think HE'S the suave @#$%^!, not Dean Stockwell.

Slumpy: If you said to me "Heineken? $^@&# that *^$%@#! Pabst Blue RIBBON!" to me I'd know exactly what you were talking about.

Conspicuous in their absence:

Hannibal Lechter
The psycho pig farmer in "Snatch" (or was that "Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels"?)
Ben Kinsley in "Sexy Beast"
Darth Vader
Charleze Theron in "Monster"

recoveryone
03-28-2007, 09:14 AM
I picked Pesci from your list, but for me I would have to pick Denzel Washington in Training Day. Nothing is more uneasy than seeing yourself on film. I have this DVD and I only watched it once, due that it reminded me of the road I was on when I worked the streets.

bobsticks
03-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I picked Pesci as well. While most of the other had specific malevolent goals, Pesci's "Tommy" was the textbook definition of "loose cannon". With Tommy you never knew what was going to happen and to whom. It has been my misfortune to be around (some could argue even be a magnet for) some of these individuals and nothing ever goes well.

Worf101
03-28-2007, 09:52 AM
I picked Pesci from your list, but for me I would have to pick Denzel Washington in Training Day. Nothing is more uneasy than seeing yourself on film. I have this DVD and I only watched it once, due that it reminded me of the road I was on when I worked the streets.
That's pretty deep. Nothing more dangerous than a cop on the edge... Glad to hear you're on a different road now.

Da Worfster

Worf101
03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Frank BOOTH, baby!

I think HE'S the suave @#$%^!, not Dean Stockwell.

Slumpy: If you said to me "Heineken? $^@&# that *^$%@#! Pabst Blue RIBBON!" to me I'd know exactly what you were talking about.

Conspicuous in their absence:

Hannibal Lechter
The psycho pig farmer in "Snatch" (or was that "Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels"?)
Ben Kinsley in "Sexy Beast"
Darth Vader
Charleze Theron in "Monster"

Lechter:
I believe Lechter to be a "cartoon monster" and deliberately left him off. Now "Buffalo Bill" was/is far more scary to me from that film.

Kingsley:
I'd give you that one, Sexy Beast was one disturbing puppy.

Vader:
See Lechter.

Theron
This was a tough call for me. She could easily replace many on the list. I almost put her in instead of Tommy Udo. But she's playing a real person, a real monster from OUR lifetime... more documentary than movie character. I could agree with you on her..

The other guy I don't remember. All the others made an immediate and lasting impression on me.

One I left of.

The little girl in "The Bad Seed" - What a cold blooded ***** of a killin' machine she was!!!!

Da Worfster

Worf101
03-28-2007, 10:04 AM
I picked Pesci as well. While most of the other had specific malevolent goals, Pesci's "Tommy" was the textbook definition of "loose cannon". With Tommy you never knew what was going to happen and to whom. It has been my misfortune to be around (some could argue even be a magnet for) some of these individuals and nothing ever goes well.
You hit it, right between the eyes. How many "Tommys" have we run across in our lives. The wander through the world like rogue asteroids striking at a moments notice, without rhyme or reason. My Dad was like that when he'd been drinkin'. That's why I never took up the habit.

Da Worfster

GMichael
03-28-2007, 10:09 AM
How about Alicia Silverstone as Adrian Forrester in The Crush? She was a sicko too.

Hey, why are all my picks women? Maybe I'm Lex now! AAAARRRRRG.....

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Rutger Hauer played two of my scariest villains -- John Ryder in Hitcher, and Roy Batty in Blade Runner. Now I realize the latter might fall into the cartoony monster category, but Hitcher was just a little too scary. Right up there with the classic bad obsession after a one-night-stand , Fatal Attraction, is the fear of picking up a psycho when you pick up a hitchhiker.

And Hannibal Lechter wasn't even scary -- he was likeable! He had just way too much charisma, I'd fall for his act every time -- I'd be lunch.

GMichael
03-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Rutger Hauer played two of my scariest villains -- John Ryder in Hitcher, and Roy Batty in Blade Runner. Now I realize the latter might fall into the cartoony monster category, but Hitcher was just a little too scary. Right up there with the classic bad obsession after a one-night-stand , Fatal Attraction, is the fear of picking up a psycho when you pick up a hitchhiker.

And Hannibal Lechter wasn't even scary -- he was likeable! He had just way too much charisma, I'd fall for his act every time -- I'd be lunch.

But is your liver still edible?

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2007, 10:30 AM
I think you meant, "edible".

And: yes. You might want to sautee some Vidalia onions with it, though.

GMichael
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I think you meant, "edible".

And: yes. You might want to sautee some Vidalia onions with it, though.

Tanx

topspeed
03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Fun Poll, Worfster!

I had to go with Kathy Bates. Anybody that didn't go fetal when she, uh...adjusted Caan's feet for him, well...they're lying! Nothing worse than a lunatic that actually believes their own psychosis.

I have to say tho, my first choice just from the heading of the poll was Lecter. I didn't find his character cartoonish at all. In fact, it was the believeability of the performance that made it soooo damn scary! Moron's running around with machetes aren't scary. Scary is someone who is flat smarter than you. That's scary!

PeruvianSkies
03-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I'd have to say the Kevin Spacey character in SE7EN and for a few reasons. The uneasiness from his character basically derives from his precision and calm demeanor. This movie brilliantly sets up the various murderes and shows them with just enough brutality, yet reserves some for the imagination as well. We begin to establish the character of this murderer and we think that this person must be a total lunatic, which he is, but so calm and reserved. He is 'sure' of himself and even turns himself in. Now we have crossed over into new territory! All along we are thinking at this point that the movie is over and that the villain lost, oh but "WHAT'S IN THE BOX"??????

ForeverAutumn
03-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Where's Cruella DeVille? Man, anyone willing to wear a puppy skin coat is just a bad seed in my book. :nonod:

I haven't seen all the movies you list, but of the ones that I have, I had to go with Kathy Bates.

I don't think that Frank Booth was any less cartoonish than Hannibal Lechter. In fact I'd stand up to Booth before I ever went head to head with Lechter.

Luvin Da Blues
03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
SpankingVanillaice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! scary dude AND dangerous

Smokey
03-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Probably Jackson as Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction deserve a place in your poll. You don’t want him to knock on your door on your lunch hour eating a cheese burger. He will eat your cheese burger, drink your soda and tell you how they pronounce quarter pounder in France :D

http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~ifjkl/pics/schauspieler/samuel_l_jackson.jpg

Gerald Cooperberg
03-30-2007, 05:36 AM
How about antiheroes? For some reason this poll made me immediately think of Russell Crowe's character in L.A. Confidential. He's got a bit of a Lennie complex-- he tries to be good but sometimes he just can't help hitting something, and when he does, he hits disproportionately hard.

-Coop

Woochifer
03-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I went with the Tommy DeVito character simply because he seems like someone I could hang out with and get to know in real life well before discovering his dark side. It's creepy because he could be joking around one moment, and then turn into a completely different persona on a dime. And even if he's just joking around, there's always that sense of uneasiness just under the surface. You just don't know what drives him or what will make him snap.

Max Cady (both the Mitchum and DeNiro depictions) was a more true-to-life menacing character, but I would assume that he's someone whose skeletons don't get buried too deep into the closet.

Another queasy villian that didn't make the list was Lawrence Olivier as Dr. Szell from Marathon Man. It's been years since I've seen this movie, but I never thought the same of dentists since seeing it the first time!.

PeruvianSkies
03-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I went with the Tommy DeVito character simply because he seems like someone I could hang out with and get to know in real life well before discovering his dark side. It's creepy because he could be joking around one moment, and then turn into a completely different persona on a dime. And even if he's just joking around, there's always that sense of uneasiness just under the surface. You just don't know what drives him or what will make him snap.

Max Cady (both the Mitchum and DeNiro depictions) was a more true-to-life menacing character, but I would assume that he's someone whose skeletons don't get buried too deep into the closet.

Another queasy villian that didn't make the list was Lawrence Olivier as Dr. Szell from Marathon Man. It's been years since I've seen this movie, but I never thought the same of dentists since seeing it the first time!.

Yeah...I love that movie.

s dog
03-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Deacon Frost [ Stephen Dorff ] kicked the ever living **it out of Whistler [ Kris Kristofferson] in BLADE, He also pulled the fangs out of another vampires mouth, very nasty guy.

markw
04-01-2007, 02:37 PM
People think he made that character up. Lemme tell ya, he didn't. Those sadistic bahstahds DO exist here and they're walkin' the streets free as a bird even as we speak.

...and they're not all Italians either.

bobsticks
04-01-2007, 03:36 PM
People think he made that character up. Lemme tell ya, he didn't. Those sadistic bahstahds DO exist here and they're walkin' the streets free as a bird even as we speak.

...and they're not all Italians either.

Amen to that. In my experience bouncers, brawlers and ballers are the worst...anyone with no grave convern for reprocussions, reprimand, or reprisals...and hockey players:ihih:

As a side note, they've started announcing arrest records down to D-class misdemeanors over the PA at Pacer's games.

Peace

Worf101
04-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Amen to that. In my experience bouncers, brawlers and ballers are the worst...anyone with no grave convern for reprocussions, reprimand, or reprisals...and hockey players:ihih:

As a side note, they've started announcing arrest records down to D-class misdemeanors over the PA at Pacer's games.

Peace
Hey, hey, hey!!!! Watch it...

My son plays hockey... Weird I know, but sadly (oh my achin' wallet) true.

Da Worfster

bobsticks
04-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Easy there, my big Klingon brother...just where didja think the name Bobsticks came from??

recoveryone
04-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I was watching Payback on TNT HD last night and just wanted to add Mel Gibson role as Porter. He may not have been the bad guy in the movie, but I would not want to run into someone like that in the streets. (Thats just mean, quit it your making me all misty).

SlumpBuster
04-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Because of this thread I re-watched Blue Velvet this last weekend. I hadn't seen it in more than 10 years. Man, I forgot how good that movie was. I'm definate in my vote.

Thanks, Worf, for getting me off my butt to rent a true classic.

PeruvianSkies
04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Because of this thread I re-watched Blue Velvet this last weekend. I hadn't seen it in more than 10 years. Man, I forgot how good that movie was. I'm definate in my vote.

Thanks, Worf, for getting me off my butt to rent a true classic.

BLUE VELVET, along with maybe THE ELEPHANT MAN are my two favorite David Lynch films. Of course they are in total opposites of one another, but the thing that I love about BLUE VELVET is the world that is created and how we are brought into this fake world. It's purposefully 'fake' and yet surreal to, the moments of bizarreness are the ones that seem more real to us, like the scenes involving Dennis Hopper. The other scenes that are supposively 'normal' feel more fake though, like the white picket fence and red roses that we see in the opening few moments. Also, notice the fake bird at the end and the song 'Mysteries of Love' being played....the bird is so rediculously fake as is the 'happy ending' part. This is what I love about David Lynch...he paints two worlds for us...one that seems more average Americana, while at the same time painting a demented world, to which he intermixes them in such a way that we are almost gushed over by the happy world and nearly wish that some of the demented world would still exist, if for no other reason than to bring a sense of realism to life.

AmpItUP
05-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I have to say, I'd hate to have a run-in with Ann Wilkes. She just gives me the creeps.