speakers that sound like grado's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speakers that sound like grado's

deflummox
03-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a simple little stereo system to plug my computer into, and am super confused by all the information out there. Can anyone help me out? Basically, I want some speakers that sound like my Grado SR-60s. They don't have to vibrate my floors but I do want them to be nice and clean and balanced. I would also prefer to have small speakers, maybe just a couple, since my apartment is kind of small, and also that they be crazy stinkin' cheap (but only if they sound like my SR-60's).

Thanks!

Ahh, to clarify, I have nothing - no amp, no whatever else you need for speakers. I guess bookshelf speakers would be best cause of the space constraints, but I don't really care. As for price, mmm, I have no idea. Less than $300? I basically want to know how little money I can get away with spending for a given level of sound quality.

emorphien
03-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm not all that familiar with the SR-60s, but help people out with a budget and whether you have a preference for a bookshelf speaker or a floorstander. Info about your amplifier wouldn't hurt either.

Dusty Chalk
03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Quad 12L, dude. They even reintroduced the powered ones. Of course, you'd need a sub for that bottom octave or two.

EDIT: Oops, missed the price range -- never mind. Change my answer to: can't be done.

Luvin Da Blues
03-27-2007, 04:25 AM
defluxmmox

Check this out. Good little system for the price and it comes with a 120w sub

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9372

emorphien
03-27-2007, 06:09 AM
For that price range it can be tricky to get a good set of speakers & amplification but not impossible. Are you willing to consider shopping used?

Otherwise Infinity has some bookshelf speakers that are well reviewed that might be in your price range (the Beta series) which I believe are still in production.

Another item of interest to me in this price range is the Swans M200 active monitors, these include their own amplification and are purportedly excellent.

deflummox
03-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Definitely I am all about used stuff. I wasn't sure if computer speakers or old bookshelf speakers + an old receiver would be a better deal.

emorphien
03-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Computer speakers are never worth bothering with IMO if you can get some decent speakers and a receiver for the same price or close to it.

That being said I'd really consider the Swans, they're supposed to be awesome.

Luvin Da Blues
03-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Computer speakers are never worth bothering with IMO if you can get some decent speakers and a receiver for the same price or close to it.

That being said I'd really consider the Swans, they're supposed to be awesome.

I agree, was thinkin 'bout his budget

basite
03-27-2007, 09:48 AM
go vintage...
search ebay, for advent, JBL(only the old ones, do not buy modern stuff), KLH, AR, ...
and find a vintage receiver or an integrated amp too...

otherwise, you can try DIY speakers, like dayton's or so, and then buy a sonic T-amp and control the volume with your pc.
but actually, why don't you use your grado's for your pc?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

lewburgh
03-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Let me first start off by saying that I am not nearly as knowledgable as the previous responders. However, I do know a thing or to about being on a tight budget. Starting Grad School.

I had a pair of old BIC America Venturi V62s bookshelf speakers for years that I loved running through an old Onkyo 2 channel amp. They sounded great expecially if your into jazz! I sold mine for $50 on Ebay. I'm sure you can find a used pair on there for under a $100 and an older vintage two channel reciever for $200 or so. I am also a fan of Grado Labs. I own a pair of SR-80s and I love them.

Good luck!

audio_dude
03-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Well, i own a pair of SR-60s, and all i can say is that you sure have good taste!

Ok, well, i think that you'd be quite supprised with the sound of the new Paradigm Atoms. very open sound like the grados, and they have quite amazing bass for such a small speaker. The sensitivity is also bumped up from the previous generation, so you could probably even run it with a T-amp.

But like the others have said, amplification would best be done by a used receiver.

here are some from audiogon that go with your budget:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1179438429
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1179431777
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1177809429

personally, i'd recommend the Sansui, i had a sansui amp when i started my stereo and they really are troopers. Give 'er a go, and good luck!

Cheers, Rob

jrhymeammo
03-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Well, i own a pair of SR-60s, and all i can say is that you sure have good taste!

what I can say to that is we sure have different taste!

I, too, own the 60. Some people call that sound "Clarity" while I call it "Harsh". Then I suggest you get a pair of bookshelfs by Triangle.
I own a pair of Comete ES and liking them quite a bit in my new apartment.
Looks like they are on sale everywhere now. And that whole clarity thing? Well, I got tubes. Horaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!

RGA used to say, people shouldnt use tubes to correct speakers' faults. I said "F*ck that" to his comment (not him cuz I like that cat).

.....and I hope you best on your quest for a new pair.

PeacRA