For a tryst in the greenery ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For a tryst in the greenery ...

Davey
03-26-2007, 12:28 PM
I gave you documents and microfilm, too

Whether you love them or not, very few around these days writing lyrics like Colin Meloy. I'm pretty much on the love em side, but revisiting Picaresque today for the first time in awhile, and it is one of their best. The key with the CD is to move forward to the sweet spot, where it becomes a bit more mono and the vocal slides back a bit further into the mix, yeah, then it starts to congeal even better. Too phasey and disjointed back in the normal position.

Among five score pachyderm
each canopied and passengered
sit the duke and the duchess' luscious young girls
within sight of the baroness
seething spite for this lithe largesse
by her side sits the baron
her barrenness barbs her
and we'll all come praise the infanta
and we'll all come praise the infanta

Swish
03-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I gave you documents and microfilm, too

Whether you love them or not, very few around these days writing lyrics like Colin Meloy. I'm pretty much on the love em side, but revisiting Picaresque today for the first time in awhile, and it is one of their best. The key with the CD is to move forward to the sweet spot, where it becomes a bit more mono and the vocal slides back a bit further into the mix, yeah, then it starts to congeal even better. Too phasey and disjointed back in the normal position.

Castaways and Cutouts was my favorite until this one came out, although Grace Cathedral is still my numero uno toono by them. The Perfect Crime continues to occupy a major piece of my brain though;

Sing, muse, of passion of the pistol
Sing, muse, of the warning by the whistle
A night so dark in the waning
A dawn obscured by slate-sky raining

Five and twenty burglars by the reservoir
A teenage lookout on the signal tower
The mogul's daughter in hog-tie
The mogul fingers the wrong guy, all right

It was a perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect crime
It was a perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect, the perfect crime

It was the perfect crime

The bagman's quaking at the fingers
The hand-off glance a little lingers
A well-dressed man in the crosshairs
A shot rings out from somewhere upstairs

Very cool lyrics and a great tune to boot.

Swish Baby

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Got an email from Amazon today. My copy of Picaresque shipped today. It should arrive tomorrow. Along with The Zutons latest and a legit copy of Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream. YAY!

Davey
03-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Have you listened to Crane Wife much?
Not at all. Is that an offer? Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more, say no more! A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat! I've been a bad Rave Recs boy lately and haven't got no new music to show for what seems forever.

Got an email from Amazon today. My copy of Picaresque shipped today.
You'll probably like Picaresque a lot. Has more of a story feel to it, kind of epic, especially in the opening The Infanta. A bit of that Al Stewart feel you like. Not quite as grandiose, or sweeping, but some of the same spirit. A little more subdued, maybe. But it's got the literate lyrics that sometimes border on pretentious, and the sometimes quirky vocal mannerisms, and the progressive leaning instrumentation. Year of the Cat snuggled up to Meat Is Murder. Makes no sense to me even.

np: Girls Against Boys banging out AnotherDroneInMyHead

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Not at all. Is that an offer? Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more, say no more! A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat! I've been a bad Rave Recs boy lately and haven't got no new music to show for what seems forever.

Since I'm sending some stuff your way anyway, I can deliver a December Crane and a Bird in an Armchair...since you say that you haven't heard that new Bird chirping yet. It'll save Swishy the postage... and since I owe him a favour anyway...

Year of the Cat snuggled up to Meat Is Murder. Makes no sense to me even.

Um. Yeah. Sure. Whatever you say. :out:

Swish
03-28-2007, 05:17 AM

You'll probably like Picaresque a lot. Has more of a story feel to it, kind of epic, especially in the opening The Infanta. A bit of that Al Stewart feel you like. Not quite as grandiose, or sweeping, but some of the same spirit. A little more subdued, maybe. But it's got the literate lyrics that sometimes border on pretentious, and the sometimes quirky vocal mannerisms, and the progressive leaning instrumentation. Year of the Cat snuggled up to Meat Is Murder. Makes no sense to me even.

np: Girls Against Boys banging out AnotherDroneInMyHead

so your nudge worked. The deed is done, the die is cast, the bed is made, the seeds are sown.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
03-28-2007, 05:50 AM
...that I have it and have listened to it more than a few times. My wife likes it way more than I do, but I still think it's pretty good. As for Crane Wife, no need to nudge. The deed is done, the die is cast, the bed is made, the seeds are sown.

Swish

He was responding to me about liking Picaresque, since I haven't heard it yet. I know that you're getting old, but try to keep up. :ciappa:

Swish
03-28-2007, 05:54 AM
He was responding to me about liking Picaresque, since I haven't heard it yet. I know that you're getting old, but try to keep up. :ciappa:

You must be too busy with that new job.

Tsk, tsk.

Swish

-Jar-
03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
how I love "The Sporting Life"

And father had had such hopes
For a son who would take the ropes
And fulfill all his old athletic aspirations
But apparently now there's some complications

Though I've far from heard every song, my other favorites are "Coccoon" and "Engine Driver"

Davey
03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Oops, just one crane wife is enough for me, no need to fight about who sends it ;)

Hehehe, sounds like Swish Daddy already sealed the deal, wink wink, but love a chance to preview the birdman with that other stuff you had in mind Ms. Autumn. Thanks to both of you.

BTW, the Meat Is Murder half of that equation is just a reference to one of the more eclectic records by The Smiths, my real introduction, and still probably my favorite (and I think that Mark, the Ex Lion Tamer has the same story). Probably the strongest identifiable influence on Colin Meloy and his band of Decemberists is Morrissey and his Smiths. Not as much in the guitar band mold as The Smiths, but a lot of similarities nonetheless.

np: Aqua-Magnetic, heavy stuff, man, from Three Mile Pilot ""Sharp is as the blade that it looks to be"

bobsticks
03-28-2007, 09:33 AM
BTW, the Meat Is Murder half of that equation is just a reference to one of the more eclectic records by The Smiths, my real introduction, and still probably my favorite (and I think that Mark, the Ex Lion Tamer has the same story). Probably the strongest identifiable influence on Colin Meloy and his band of Decemberists is Morrissey and his Smiths. Not as much in the guitar band mold as The Smiths, but a lot of similarities nonetheless.

This possibility had crossed my mind so it's nice to hear some validation for my mental wanderings. Big Smiths fan in college...

...Swish, how's the new J-O-B. Were you able to bring any of your team with?