Recent Viewings... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Viewings...

Worf101
03-26-2007, 04:53 AM
Been doin some renting and movie watchin'.. Here's hows I sees em.

1. "Reign Over Me" - C - What typical Hollywood drivel. They spend the first 45 minutes making a semi-decent flick then they spend the rest of their energy making the remaining 3 hours into interminable mawkish nonsese. Chick flick of the lowest order. Don't say no one warned ya.

2. "Babel" - B - Decent flick, didn't strike me as hard as it's predecessor "Crash" did. LOVED the whole Mexican wedding sequence. I thought it was marvelous. Never connected with Pitt, his wife though and found the Japanese girls story good but bizarre in the end. "E" for effort.

3. "The 300" -B+- Good popcorn munching fun. Gory, bloody and stylized within an inch of itselft. More historically accurate than some flicks but History Channel it isn't. Great guy flick. Let your girlfriends and wives see RoM while you and the fellah's see blood and guts.

4. "The Return" - F - Avoid this DVD like the plague. Answer's only one question, how untalented the girl from Buffy really was/is. Talk about worthless waste of cellulose. God I'm pissed at this drivel. :mad5:

5. "The Departed" - B Minus - No where near Scorcese's best work. I felt cheated and bored. I do give Alec Baldwin and DiCrapio credit though they made what could've been torutre, semi-enjoyable.

Later folks.

Da Worfster

JohnMichael
03-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the warning as I almost went to see "Reign Over Me". Might still be a rental one day.

I will check out the "The 300". I love the previews and that time in history.

GMichael
03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the updates Worf. And to think, I used to watch that Buffy show.

SlumpBuster
03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I liked Reign Over Me. It had some problems, but nothing some decent editing couldn't fix. I thought it was paced and atmospheric. The court room scene I could do without.

As for Babel, I've already registered my discontent in another thread, but I thought it was funny that you liked the Mexican wedding scene. That is actually where I started throwing stuff at the TV. There was a general sense of forboding as soon as the kids got there. It's like "Uh-oh, a Mexican wedding. Only a matter of time before something bad happens."

Dusty Chalk
03-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Sarah Michelle Gellar is a perfectly adequate actress -- case in point, the opening sequence in the Buffy episode "The Body". Blame the director. Mostly. I mean, it's her fault she picked the movie to play in, but it's not like she's going to be offered any Kill Bill type roles any time soon. She needs to get out of this Scooby Doo/Grudge rut, and try something different.

Worf101
03-27-2007, 06:59 AM
I liked Reign Over Me. It had some problems, but nothing some decent editing couldn't fix. I thought it was paced and atmospheric. The court room scene I could do without.

As for Babel, I've already registered my discontent in another thread, but I thought it was funny that you liked the Mexican wedding scene. That is actually where I started throwing stuff at the TV. There was a general sense of forboding as soon as the kids got there. It's like "Uh-oh, a Mexican wedding. Only a matter of time before something bad happens."
Or did they make Adam Sandler look like an oversized version of Bob Dylan? Also, isn't it against like THE LAW for psychiatrists to SET THEIR PATIENTS UP ON DATES??? A friend of mine whose a Physician Assitant in Psych, was litterally pulling her hair out by the roots. She was screaming that movies like this are why the mental health profession is in the toilet of public opinion.

Da Worfster

SlumpBuster
03-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Ya know why I think I liked Reign Over Me? Two reasons. First, Don Cheadle. Like my wife says, "I could watch him read from the phone book for an hour and a half." I too have been a big fan since Boogie Nights, which is one on the few movies I like so much I actually own it. He was just so lost and damaged in that movie only to be redeedmed at the end.

Second, the movie was trying to evoke a feeling along with telling a story. It may not have succeeded, but I could tell what it was attempting to do in terms of that feeling. It strived for something bigger, even if it fell short. Its the way The Royal Tenenbaums evoked a feeling. Or, Raizing Arizona evoked a feeling. But, both of those were successful well rounded movies.

As to Sandler, one reviewer noted that at times you couldn't tell if he was supposed to be traumatized or whether he was mentally deficient. I think that is a valid critique. At what point does he just become a depressed Billy Madison.

But, I'd better stop defending this movie before someone tells me to get a room with it.

Oh, BTW if you haven't seen Rocky Balboa, you might like it. Saw that this week end too.

PeruvianSkies
03-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Or did they make Adam Sandler look like an oversized version of Bob Dylan?

Dude, I can't believe you said that! I was thinking the EXACT same thing, but couldn't really put my finger on who he looked like necessarily. He also kinda had the whole WEDDING SINGER when he gets dumped at the wedding type of nervous breakdown appearance too.

Worf101
03-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Ya know why I think I liked Reign Over Me? Two reasons. First, Don Cheadle. Like my wife says, "I could watch him read from the phone book for an hour and a half." I too have been a big fan since Boogie Nights, which is one on the few movies I like so much I actually own it. He was just so lost and damaged in that movie only to be redeedmed at the end.

Second, the movie was trying to evoke a feeling along with telling a story. It may not have succeeded, but I could tell what it was attempting to do in terms of that feeling. It strived for something bigger, even if it fell short. Its the way The Royal Tenenbaums evoked a feeling. Or, Raizing Arizona evoked a feeling. But, both of those were successful well rounded movies.

As to Sandler, one reviewer noted that at times you couldn't tell if he was supposed to be traumatized or whether he was mentally deficient. I think that is a valid critique. At what point does he just become a depressed Billy Madison.

But, I'd better stop defending this movie before someone tells me to get a room with it.

Oh, BTW if you haven't seen Rocky Balboa, you might like it. Saw that this week end too.
I value your opinion man. You saw the film (unlike some folks who slam films they NEVER SAW) and you make some valid points. I too love Don Cheadle. His Mouse in "Devil in Blue Dress" was amazing. He's an actor's, actor. This Film just didn't do it for me that's all. You don't have to get a room with it although with certain genres of film I guess it COULD be done.. :skep: Just keep talking plain and thoughtfully and it's all shiney.

Da Worfster.

Gerald Cooperberg
03-27-2007, 09:26 AM
1. "Reign Over Me" - C

4. "The Return" - F

Hmm, two that I had on my list... did you see Mike Binder's last one, The Upside of Anger? I thought that one was really interesting but ultimately just short of being a good film. Still, it made me curious to see what he would do next, so I will probably still check out Reign Over Me. And I had heard that The Return was kind of an intriguing psychological drama mismarketed as a jump-cuts-and-monsters scarer. Gellar is that bad, huh?

-Coop

Worf101
03-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Dude, I can't believe you said that! I was thinking the EXACT same thing, but couldn't really put my finger on who he looked like necessarily. He also kinda had the whole WEDDING SINGER when he gets dumped at the wedding type of nervous breakdown appearance too.
If he'd have gone just a tad more nasal or pulled out an acoustic guitar, I think I'd a plotzed right there. I'm serious I had a hard time concentrating because of his erie resemblance to Dylan.

Scary... very scary!!!

Da Worfster

Worf101
03-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Hmm, two that I had on my list... did you see Mike Binder's last one, The Upside of Anger? I thought that one was really interesting but ultimately just short of being a good film. Still, it made me curious to see what he would do next, so I will probably still check out Reign Over Me. And I had heard that The Return was kind of an intriguing psychological drama mismarketed as a jump-cuts-and-monsters scarer. Gellar is that bad, huh?

-Coop
I LIKED "The Upside of Anger" a great deal. I thought Costner saved himself from being a walking trivia question with that film. I liked it... a lot. I don't know if Binder wrote AND directed TUoA but he did both jobs on this flick and it showed. I think he'd a been better off sticking with one job or the other...

As for "The Return". The box screamed "The Grudge" or "The Ring" maybe it wasn't as bad a flick as I thought had I gone in expecting "The Sixth Sense" instead. That being said, I never bought Ms. Gellar for a second. She too young for the role and her relationship (if you do the math) borders on the pedophilac. Oh it's bad alright, real bad.

Da Worfster

Gerald Cooperberg
03-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I LIKED "The Upside of Anger" a great deal. I thought Costner saved himself from being a walking trivia question with that film. I liked it... a lot. I don't know if Binder wrote AND directed TUoA but he did both jobs on this flick and it showed. I think he'd a been better off sticking with one job or the other...

I too liked Costner a lot, and Joan Allen's performance was a barnburner, but something about the film as a whole held it back for me. For one, the editing seemed really sloppy and I almost wondered if some of the scenes showing Costner and Allen's developing relationship hadn't been hacked to bits and actually inserted out of order into the larger plot arc... and although Binder himself only had a small onscreen role, I found him really grating.

As for "The Return". The box screamed "The Grudge" or "The Ring" maybe it wasn't as bad a flick as I thought had I gone in expecting "The Sixth Sense" instead. That being said, I never bought Ms. Gellar for a second. She too young for the role and her relationship (if you do the math) borders on the pedophilac. Oh it's bad alright, real bad.

All right. I may still give it a rent if I run across it sometime, but I won't say I wasn't warned!

-Coop

recoveryone
03-27-2007, 11:39 AM
1. "I think I love my wife" (Chris Rock) C- A word of advice, don't take your wife or girl if you are having problems....lol. The story line was fine and Rocks performance was ok too, I didn't care for Kerry Washington verbage, maybe its just me It just seem to be a trun off when a women uses the F word in every other line. I just wish Gina Torrie part had a bit more to it. Back to the advice, this movie can spark some discussions that you may not want to have.

2. "300" A+ If you are the type that loves the rah rah speeches and the emotional lift of putting your best against the odds then this flick is for you. Don't worry about the history/facts ITS JUST A MOVIE!

3." Children of Men" just pick it today I'll get back on it, (update) I watched this lastnight and my take on it is that one you need to be a fan of English/British type movies (some of the wording just felt odd to me, but thats the way they talk across the pond) The cinematic view was good and great during the refugee camp scene. Maybe someone can confim what I saw when the girl gave birth (if you seen this movie you'll know what I'm talking about) The plot had potential, but never got into full swing to me. The under lining motives of the rebels was never spelled out and the reason they needed to kill off the leader. As being compared to the level of Blade Runner NO WAY NO HOW! D+

4. "Pursuit of Happiness" just pick it up too

Feanor
03-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Been doin some renting and movie watchin'.. Here's hows I sees em.
3. "The 300" -B+- Good popcorn munching fun. Gory, bloody and stylized within an inch of itselft. More historically accurate than some flicks but History Channel it isn't. Great guy flick. Let your girlfriends and wives see RoM while you and the fellah's see blood and guts.
5. "The Departed" - B Minus - No where near Scorcese's best work. I felt cheated and bored. I do give Alec Baldwin and DiCrapio credit though they made what could've been torutre, semi-enjoyable.

Later folks.

Da Worfster

I'd give The Departed a B+ but I agree it's not Scorcese's best effort by a long shot.

300 was a big disappointment to me: C. I liked Sin City much better. I liked the graphic novel style which came off well, but everything else sucked -- and I like violence and gore as much as the next person. Plot and characters were very, very thin; (worst example was the Xerxes character which was just ridiculous.) I like some historical plausibility and this tale had none. The "real" story as told by Herodotus is a true epic tale, mocked and trivialized by this effort.

Worf101
03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
1. "I think I love my wife" (Chris Rock) C- A word of advice, don't take your wife or girl if you are having problems....lol. The story line was fine and Rocks performance was ok too, I didn't care for Kerry Washington verbage, maybe its just me It just seem to be a trun off when a women uses the F word in every other line. I just wish Gina Torrie part had a bit more to it. Back to the advice, this movie can spark some discussions that you may not what to have.

2. "300" A+ If you are the type that loves the rah rah speeches and the emotional lift of putting your best against the odds then this flick is for you. Don't worry about the history/facts ITS JUST A MOVIE!

3." Children of Men" just pick it today I'll get back on it

4. "Pursuit of Happiness" just pick it up too

Simply the most moving movie I've seen in years, cept mebbe for "Crash". Amazing long tracking shots amazing acting amazing movie. I intend to buy it eventuallly myself.

Da Worfster

Feanor
03-28-2007, 08:30 AM

300 wasn't just historically inaccurate: it mocked history. On top of that the plot was trivial and the characters manikins. I can't enjoy stupid things. (My wife enjoyed it, though.)

Worf101
03-28-2007, 09:47 AM
300 wasn't just historically inaccurate: it mocked history. On top of that the plot was trivial and the characters manikins. I can't enjoy stupid things. (My wife enjoyed it, though.)
You sure you don't want to RETHINK that last comment??? If you don't you can stay at my crib till she lets you back in the house... Yipes..

Da Worfster :shocked:

GMichael
03-28-2007, 09:53 AM

OMG! Run! Get out of the house as fast as you can...............

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
You sure you don't want to RETHINK that last comment??? If you don't you can stay at my crib till she lets you back in the house... Yipes..Uh, if he enjoys his wife, then his wife's not stupid, right? On the other hand, if he thinks 300 is stupid, and his wife enjoyed it, then his wife can enjoy stupid things, which could, theoretically, include him.

So...I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see the problem with his statement.

Worf101
03-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Uh, if he enjoys his wife, then his wife's not stupid, right? On the other hand, if he thinks 300 is stupid, and his wife enjoyed it, then his wife can enjoy stupid things, which could, theoretically, include him.

Where did you study.. The Bill Clinton School of Adaptive Semantics??
A valiant effort but there's no way in Gods Green Earth he can weasel his way outta THAT one.

Da Worfster

GMichael
03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Uh, if he enjoys his wife, then his wife's not stupid, right? On the other hand, if he thinks 300 is stupid, and his wife enjoyed it, then his wife can enjoy stupid things, which could, theoretically, include him.

Judging from what he did say, he must cringe when he sees my posts. Badumpbump tisssh...

Nice little jab.

Feanor
03-28-2007, 11:29 AM

This is close to the truth. :biggrin5:

Feanor
03-28-2007, 11:33 AM
OMG! Run! Get out of the house as fast as you can...............

But my wife already know I'm up tight about some things. :frown2:

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Where did you study.. The Bill Clinton School of Adaptive Semantics??...aka Weazlz 'R' Us.

No, but I coulda been a T.A. there. Some people are just naturals at that sorta thing...

Gerald Cooperberg
03-28-2007, 05:50 PM
1. "Reign Over Me" - C - What typical Hollywood drivel. They spend the first 45 minutes making a semi-decent flick then they spend the rest of their energy making the remaining 3 hours into interminable mawkish nonsese. Chick flick of the lowest order. Don't say no one warned ya.

Okay, so I went and saw this one earlier this afternoon. I might agree with yr letter grade but I think I did like it a little more than you. Cheadle really carries the movie... I thought that most of the scenes with he & Sandler were fairly compelling and the whole thing lost a lot of momentum whenever one of the 300 subplots came up. There were a lot of interesting parallels to The Upside of Anger-- both examine the way that we cope with loss and struggle to find meaning in lives of suffocation, and both feature a character who seems to be in arrested adolescence. I mean, there are similarities right down to the family of all daughters and Binder shoehorned into an awkward supporting role. Ultimately I left this one kind of the way I left that one-- appreciating the performances and feeling let down about the film as a whole.

Oh, and on the appearance of Sandler's character-- he does have that Dylan haircut going on, but I really think that he must be sort of dressed up as Binder himself.

-Coop