So, I went to a concert last night... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So, I went to a concert last night...

Finch Platte
02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
...driving to San Francisco to see dada. Sorry if there are some glitches in this post, but I copied it from a post I made on the dada site (www.dadatheband.com).

We (my 2 friends and I) were very disappointed. It seemed to be a dada oldies tour. What happened to the new songs? (They've just released a new disc, how to be found. They only played 3 or 4 new songs and they were wayyy too short. Meanwhile, they played the same old songs that we (speaking for myself & Eric) are bored to tears hearing, and the band must be bored playing- some of the songs are over 12 years old, for God's sake.

Eric and I are BIG time fans (hell, we play one of their songs when we jam out in the barn), but what about the new stuff? If I hear Dim, or Dorina (Bore-ina?) again, I'm gonna scream. We've seen them many times, and we both agreed we probably wouldn't go see them again. The new stuff is a bit weak- are they running out of ideas? If they'd play more of the new songs live, we'd get a chance to grow to love the new material, and they'd have a chance to flesh out the songs until they became classics, as Dizz Knee Land and Feet To The Sun have become.

I thought the venue was ok (Red Devil Lounge- holds 210 bodies) and we were right up close without any problems. It was fun, except for the 2 idiots next to us that kept screaming "c'mon, guys!!" and clapping off-time throughout almost every song. The 3 opening bands were AWFUL, especially the 2nd (why didn't they open? That way, the drummer who played in the 1st and 3rd band could have left his kit set up). 3 bands opening is 1 or 2 too many, but they were mercifully short. The crew did a good job setting up & breaking down, and big kudos to the soundguy. I tipped him $5 and he shore was happy ;0)

Dada overcame technical glitches early on, soldiering on bravely. At one point, Michael broke a string, and while they were waiting for the confused roadie (do I fix it? Or do I give him another guitar? What do I do- what do I do???), they carried off the current song until Michael was handed a new guitar.

IMO, they need direction, or else they'll NEVER hit it big. I wonder if they've given any thought to new management? If not, no doubt we'lll be seeing ads years down the road for dada, playing the same old "hits" at the San Joaquin County Fair.

fp

jack70
02-17-2004, 03:21 AM
Gary, I think Dada was one of the top bands of the 90's. I don't have their last one or that live disc either ...I remember you mentioning those discs a while back. I did get some samples of those 2 discs on their site, so thanks for the mention.

What's your opinion of both those new discs anyway?

Sorry you didn't enjoy the concert more. Personally I think Doreena is one of their best cuts. I never tire of it, but I don't overplay things I like either, just for that reason...LOL

IMO, they need direction, or else they'll NEVER hit it big. I wonder if they've given any thought to new management?

I thought they were all done a few years ago. It's certainly possible they could still make it big, but they already have a pretty solid following IMO. There just aren't many bands playing good old R&R (that sell huge) these days anyway. I think they're just trying to keep the dream alive and continue doing what they love, playing R&R. A few similar local bands in my area that have been doing this for decades... they ain't gettin' rich, but they put out the occasional CD and still play live. It's more a hobby & labor of love... which is sadly the harsh reality of the music biz.

BTW, D'ya hear about Marco Pantani dying? It's always quite a shock when elite athletes die young. His story seems pretty sad over the past few years though from reading a lot of the background of his "problems" of late. Lots of info over at velonews. There have been so many cyclists who've died over the past decade, with so many different ways. Be careful out there buddy!

Dave_G
02-17-2004, 04:59 AM
Bummer about Pantani, he will be missed.

Dada?

What did you expect Gare-Ree, a rave up?

Actually I have no idea at all about Dada except maybe they are a "college radio" band?

Anyway, have a good one.

Dave

Troy
02-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Dada isn't famous enough to play the county fair.

hifitommy
02-21-2004, 07:47 PM
and recently saw them at the key club in hollywood t good effect. the first three band werent that good and i was tired by the time they came on but they put on a good show.

yeah, a lot of it was their old stuff, and i have it all, but good just the same. and what a guittarist!! he certainly has a command of the instrument. i got turned onto them when they came out with puzzle and will buy their new one soon. bought the live one at the show.

i usually go to the jazz bakery and see people like ahmad jamal or bob dorough or kurt elling. i took my 20 year old daughter (the youngest of four) and we had a great time from the balcony of the key club. still pretty loud.

Finch Platte
02-21-2004, 08:06 PM
and recently saw them at the key club in hollywood t good effect. the first three band werent that good and i was tired by the time they came on but they put on a good show.

yeah, a lot of it was their old stuff, and i have it all, but good just the same. and what a guittarist!! he certainly has a command of the instrument. i got turned onto them when they came out with puzzle and will buy their new one soon. bought the live one at the show.

i usually go to the jazz bakery and see people like ahmad jamal or bob dorough or kurt elling. i took my 20 year old daughter (the youngest of four) and we had a great time from the balcony of the key club. still pretty loud.

...what you think of the new disc. I think they've run their course.

I hear the show was loud at the Red Devil Lounge, too, but we were so close, we were only getting the sound off the stage.

fp