Rega Planar 2 tweaked again! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rega Planar 2 tweaked again!

JohnMichael
03-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I have been curious about replacement counterweights for the RB tonearms and all the claims for improved performance. This morning I replaced the stock weight with the Michell Tecno Weight. The MTW rides lower on the tonearm for better tracking and lower distortion. My first reaction was a very silky and extended treble. Bass on some Telarc recordings are much cleaner. Greater seperation and focus of the soundstage. Definitely improved performance. Very easy to install.

The Incognito Rewire is also responsible for improved sound with my table. Opened up the sound and extended the highs. Removed a greyish coloration to the sound.

The Ringmat mat was a vast improvement over the felt. Bass is tighter and midrange more detailed and lively.

The DeepGroove subplatter helped with the speed issues with Regas. The all metal subplatter is said to be very slightly larger to run at the correct speed. I recently replaced the stock subplatter and the music sounded a little sharp and bright. I returned the DG subplatter and was pleased that for the investment there is an obvious improvement.

The Planar 2 is a good turntable that can be improved by some easy to install tweaks. I did pay to have the tonearm rewired. Now I have a very enjoyable speed accurate table with a very good tracking tonearm/cartridge combo. The only other thing I can think to do is buy more vinyl.

jrhymeammo
03-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Nice one there, JM.

MC cart, maybe...? Nah, I agree with ya. We need more music!!

When are you going to post some pics there mate?

Regards,

Bernd
03-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Congrats on the successful upgrades. It just shows how much can be tweaked out of certain models. I found the techno-weight to make a big difference.
Enjoy the new found sounds JM.

:16:

JohnMichael
03-26-2007, 11:37 AM
JRA I do have the Sumiko Blue Point2 but I find it lacking in dynamics. I have been curious about the new Benz MC 20 low output cartridge. It is inexpensive and has been getting good press. I will work on pictures.

Bernd yes the TechnoWeight is a great improvement. I have the RB250 arm so getting away from the plastic endstub and loose fitting counterweight is an improvement. The table now is definitely in a class above the stock player.

jrhymeammo
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks for that JM,

Nice to hear your impression on that particular cart.
I used to be really curious about the BP2 and BPS3 until they bumped up the price by $50 on both. I was fixing to get one about a year ago, but didnt wanna feel like a sucker for payng extra on the pre-existing inventory.

I agree with the Benz Micro MC20. Seems like that cart and reviews came outta nowhere. The cost of retip is attractive too.

JRA

JohnMichael
03-28-2007, 08:55 AM
JRA here are some pictures of the mods. The first shows the new Michell Techno Weight with the stock Rega weight and endstub in the foreground. The next photo is the DeepGroove subplatter and to the left is the Rega stock subplatter. The third photo is the Ringmat platter mat. The fourth shows the Ortofon cart and the thin wires are from the Incognito rewire. The wires are continuous from the Cardas cartridge clips to the rca plug.

bobsticks
03-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Lookin' good JM, thanks for the pics. Hey, I was spinning some Kronos Quartet the other day and had a big smile. Thanks.

jrhymeammo
03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I guess that's as good as it gets without spending a fortune. Nice pics and all, but where is the picture of you, you big sexy. Guess we only know what Eric, Flo, Hifitommy, and BRANDONH look like. Step up to the plate, son.

oh and that guy with an excellent mullet.

JRA

squeegy200
03-29-2007, 10:48 AM
What's the benefit of the subplatter? Does it carry more mass and thus more inertia? If so I would imagine more consistent rotation but does it also place more stress on the bearing?

Just curious.

JohnMichael
03-30-2007, 06:42 AM
What's the benefit of the subplatter? Does it carry more mass and thus more inertia? If so I would imagine more consistent rotation but does it also place more stress on the bearing?

Just curious.

The DeepGroove subplatter has more mass than the stock subplatter. My table has the older soft mounted motor as opposed to the new rigid motor mount. The increased weight spins with less effect from the tiny variations from motor movement. I do not have any way to measure accurately but the DG subplatter is said to be slightly larger so the table spins at a true 33.3 instead of the typical 1% fast. The subplatter upgrade came with new lube and a ruby bearing to replace the stainless steel bearing.

JohnMichael
03-30-2007, 06:59 AM
I guess that's as good as it gets without spending a fortune. Nice pics and all, but where is the picture of you, you big sexy. Guess we only know what Eric, Flo, Hifitommy, and BRANDONH look like. Step up to the plate, son.

oh and that guy with an excellent mullet.

JRA

Check this link for a picture of me. Keep in mind that when I took this I was using my tripod mounted Canon EOS 10D and set the selftimer and ran to the chair.
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14504&page=4
There are other members picured in the thread even GMichael.

The nice thing about the two mods to the arm is when I am ready for a new table I can use the arm to offset some expense. It is worthy of a more expensive table. Also the new counterweight comes with two weights so I could use a heavy mc cartridge. :)

JohnMichael
04-02-2007, 09:15 AM
An interesting benefit of the Michell Techno Weight is a reduction in surface noise of my records. I am using the same stylus/cartridge and tracking force as before. VTA and lateral angle are also the same. Records that had more surface noise are quieter and less distracting from the music. I have read reviews where a turntable or arm might be said to respond less to surface noise but until I have heard it myself I was skeptical. Quieter playback is a good thing.

basite
04-02-2007, 09:33 AM
nice mods,
I should replace my counterweight once, the 'modded' technics weight is a pain in the a$$ to set up the tt...

How much does one tend to pay for a modded weight?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Looking good there JM.
crazy nuff' that is exactly how I pictured you.
White. LOL

Bernd
05-30-2007, 11:35 PM
...tweak possibilities.

Incognito have just introduced a silver re-wire set for Tone-arms. Looks interesting, but pricey.
Has anybody ever changed their bearing oil on their TT? I did that last weekend and the difference in sound is audible. This special formulated oil appears to be very slippy. When I spin the platter without the belt, it keeps rotating for a long time. That has to be a good thing.

This is the site for all thinks tweaky: www.audioorigami.co.uk

Peace

JohnMichael
05-31-2007, 02:10 PM
...tweak possibilities.

Incognito have just introduced a silver re-wire set for Tone-arms. Looks interesting, but pricey.
Has anybody ever changed their bearing oil on their TT? I did that last weekend and the difference in sound is audible. This special formulated oil appears to be very slippy. When I spin the platter without the belt, it keeps rotating for a long time. That has to be a good thing.

This is the site for all thinks tweaky: www.audioorigami.co.uk

Peace

Bernd thanks for the link. I am sure I will be visiting it at length tomorrow. When I replaced the plastic stock subplatter with the machined metal subplatter I replaced the stainless steel bearing with a ruby bearing and the new oil provided. I can not be sure if the oil made a difference or was it the ruby bearing. I did notice the platter would spin for awhile before slowing down. I agree if you can reduce friction the sound has to improve and that is a very good thing. Now we have to decide how often we should be changing the bearing oil. An inexpensive tweak that will prolong the lives of our tables.