The *NEW* CBC Radio 2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The *NEW* CBC Radio 2

Feanor
03-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Any Radio 2 listeners here? Anyone loving the new programming?

I can't say I am. CBC found that with their mainly classical and jazz schedule their listenership was aging faster than that general population, so they decided to update it. For me, though, there something about a melange of international, soft rock, classic, jazz, and country all in the same hour, that just doesn't do it. :sad:

I used to listen to Radio 2 two-three hours a day but I find I'm cutting back and listening more to my ripped CD collection. I'm thinking the best $1000 I could spend right would be on a dedicated music server.

Wireworm5
03-24-2007, 06:14 AM
I think radio 2 should stick to their old format. With all the other pop, rock and country stations at least you had one station that caters to classical.
I use to listen to radio 1 alot when driving taxi. I particulaly liked the show 'As it Happens'. Unfortunately over the years I got tired of listening to the radio and my own music collection. With radio it was mainly due to commercials, I can't stand commercials and I don't like listening to disc jockey conversation either.
That why I invested in home audio. I would just sit in the quiet while working and play the stereo when I got home.

Feanor
03-24-2007, 06:46 AM
I think radio 2 should stick to their old format. With all the other pop, rock and country stations at least you had one station that caters to classical.
I use to listen to radio 1 alot when driving taxi. I particulaly liked the show 'As it Happens'. Unfortunately over the years I got tired of listening to the radio and my own music collection. With radio it was mainly due to commercials, I can't stand commercials and I don't like listening to disc jockey conversation either.
That why I invested in home audio. I would just sit in the quiet while working and play the stereo when I got home.

I listen to Radio 1 too a few times a week: "Quirks & Quarks" I catch regularly, and "As It Happens" for a short while most evenings.

Commercials really suck. As much as for the crappy programming, I have given up on TV because of the increased advertizing time. If I understood it right, TV got permission to up the permitted hourly time for ad. But in my case for sure I'm watching fewer ads than I used to because I just walk away from the TV and go listen to music.

Wireworm5
03-24-2007, 07:14 AM
It's not my imagination! Yes I noticed what seemed like way more commercials on tv. At commercials I usually go channel surfing only to discover commercials on most other channels at the same time! I'm ready to forbid tv as well. Whenever my renter leaves I will downgrade my sat. and just keep it for the music channels.
I read the close captioning on the tv while listening to music. Kills two birds with one stone.

matt39
03-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I was wondering if anyone else felt like I did about the recent changes in Radio 2. I live in Detroit's northern suburbs and I really liked listening to 'Northern Lights' before work and 'Music for a While' at dinnertime. I really miss those shows. The evening jazz and the late night mix don't interest me at all. As for commercials on tv I know what you mean. I've set my system up so I can switch between my stereo and tv through my combo player. I usually switch to FM during commercial breaks and often watch sports while listening to music. I know what you guys mean about tv ads too. It seems to me that now the program is a break between commercials. Remember when it used to be the other way around? I find it strange also when every station I go to is showing commercials at the same time. So much for differences in programming! Even sports programs have breaks at the same times as other stations. Nowadays they stop the game to have commercials rather than wait for a natural break in the action. Oh well back to the topic, I do miss the 'old' Radio 2 and it's only been a week.
Gary

Feanor
03-24-2007, 12:10 PM
It seems to me that now the program is a break between commercials. Remember when it used to be the other way around? I find it strange also when every station I go to is showing commercials at the same time. So much for differences in programming! Even sports programs have breaks at the same times as other stations. Nowadays they stop the game to have commercials rather than wait for a natural break in the action. Oh well back to the topic, I do miss the 'old' Radio 2 and it's only been a week.
Gary

It's well know that TV networks coordinate their ad times; the obvious reason is to discourage watchers from channel switching.

I particularly miss "Music for a While" which I used to listen to every weekday evening.