Modest Mouse sells out! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Modest Mouse sells out!

Slosh
03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
I went to pick up the new Andrew Bird and Modest Mouse CDs today. All is well with Armchair Apocrypha but We Were Dead Before The Ship Ever Sank was sold out already. Since when did Modest Mouse become so popular? Yeah, I know they had a, ehem, modest hit with "Float On" a few years back but all of a sudden I have to get to the record store first thing in the morning? :confused: Oh well. They did have a 7" single that came with the CD so I reserved mine. I can't turn down freebie vinyl but apparently most people can, as there was a full box of them sitting on the counter.

NP:

ForeverAutumn
03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
That's what happens when the record store only orders two copies. :lol:

PeruvianSkies
03-21-2007, 12:31 AM
I went to pick up the new Andrew Bird and Modest Mouse CDs today. All is well with Armchair Apocrypha but We Were Dead Before The Ship Ever Sank was sold out already. Since when did Modest Mouse become so popular? Yeah, I know they had a, ehem, modest hit with "Float On" a few years back but all of a sudden I have to get to the record store first thing in the morning? :confused: Oh well. They did have a 7" single that came with the CD so I reserved mine. I can't turn down freebie vinyl but apparently most people can, as there was a full box of them sitting on the counter.

NP:

Does anyone else think that looks familar? Does the other side of the bird appear on the back of the album or on the liner notes inside?

bobsticks
03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Does anyone else think that looks familar? Does the other side of the bird appear on the back of the album or on the liner notes inside?

Whattup P-Sky,

Nope on two counts. The back of cd has an image reversal of same bird back albeit with different coloring. The cd comes with one of those cradboard case dealios and on the rear of that is the image of the backside of Mr. Bird's head complete with feathery plummage a la Peter Brady.
On a side note, you might want to give it a listen. Bird was, for a time, a member of The Squirrel Nut Zippers although it's hard to tell from his solo work. Slightly less accessible than your usual fare, it is atmospheric and intricate (although not in a classical violinist's terms). Tape loops + Reverb = Fun...and anyone who can smuggle the word "palindrome" into a pop/rock record is okay in my book.

Peace out

PS it was Slosh who threw down the stamp of approval for this one with his pre-release "release", and he was right. Thanks.

Slosh
03-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm already declaring Armchair Apocrypha best album of 2007. It's just about flawless and destined to be a classic. While I obviously hope there will be more 2007 releases as good I seriously doubt something will come along and surpass it as my favorite.

NP:

Jim Clark
03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm already declaring Armchair Apocrypha best album of 2007. It's just about flawless and destined to be a classic. While I obviously hope there will be more 2007 releases as good I seriously doubt something will come along and surpass it as my favorite.

NP:

Whew.

From the thread title I assumed that MM had sold out, ie. their immortal souls, to the gods of clear channel or Macdonalds corp or some other potential travesty. Glad to hear you like it so much. I'll head over during lunch tomorrow and grab my own. Unless it's sold out here as well.

jc

Slosh
03-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Glad to hear you like it so much.Actually I was talking about the new Andrew Bird. I'm spinning We Were Dead for the first time as I type. So far, so good. Never bothered with any of the leaked versions because I couldn't find anything better than 128 kb/s. Sonically this CD sounds better than the last one, although I'm not really paying that close attention at the moment.

NP: "Spitting Venom"

Ex Lion Tamer
03-21-2007, 06:20 PM
I've never bought an Andrew Bird album, sounds like I should make this latest one my first. The Modest Mouse album should be an auto-buy, but I'm not sure. I wasn't enamoured with "Good News...". I did finally buy Yo La Tengo's from last year on sumptuous double vinyl (Matador usually does such a great job), and it's a keeper. I also found the Tapes n' Tapes album, The Loon on vinyl, which also sounds mucho excellento.

Jim Clark
03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm not really paying that close attention at the moment.

I guess that goes double for me.

anyway...KU wins. Yep, it was a gift. On the plus side if they can win playing as crappy as they did tonight the future bodes well for the JHawks.

Rock'm Chalk'm jc

Mr MidFi
03-23-2007, 01:48 PM
SIU got hosed.

That is all.

Swish
03-23-2007, 03:22 PM

NP:

You haven't heard it yet, because it's only been released "over there", but I just happen to have it. So what is this fabulous cd? Well, it's Thirteen Cities by Richmond Fontaine. I have a feeling you'll be hearing it very soon, if you get my drift.

Swish

P.S. I really do like the A.B. cd as well.

Slosh
03-24-2007, 05:31 AM
You haven't heard it yet, because it's only been released "over there", but I just happen to have it. So what is this fabulous cd? Well, it's Thirteen Cities by Richmond Fontaine. I have a feeling you'll be hearing it very soon, if you get my drift.
Cool, and thanks! Actually . . . I found it for preview wink, wink (FLAC even), just haven't had a chance to listen yet.

I did listen to the new Modest Mouse a few times over the last several days and like it. If this was my first MM album I probably would be street teaming it but as it stands it's my seventh (eighth if you count Ugly Casanova) so it's pretty much what I expected -- another solid album from Issac.

But the new Bird album is back in daily rotation. It sounds so much better than the leaked version implied. Bass heavy, sure (as was Eggs) but full of detail. On the big system there is so much more I hear that I never noticed with the mp3, even some stuff I don't want to notice (like hearing his saliva, eek!). It's just so layered with an impressive sense of space. Betcha it sounds great with a good DSP like Logic7. I'll have to give that a try some time this weekend. SACD would be great for this album.

NP: