Your fav book to learn about audio, Dbs, Headroom, Output, Sensitivity [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your fav book to learn about audio, Dbs, Headroom, Output, Sensitivity

stevef22
03-20-2007, 11:51 AM
I am a newbie as you can tell by all my other questions. What is your favorite book for learning about audio principals? I noticed many expensive $100+ books online for audio engineering and advanced topics.

I want to find a nice clear and simple book(s) that explain about high end audio and the dynamics behind a great listening experience. I want to start making a collection.

What book would you recommend?

kexodusc
03-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Best 2 I ever read:
Speaker Building 201 by Ray Alden and
Loudspeaker design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. I'd recommend them in that order.
These are targeted to aspiring speaker builders, but the fundamentals are invaluable to anyone looking to understand more about speaker design, how they interact with amps, rooms. You'll learn enough of the basics to be able to tell when someone's feeding you audiophile fluff. There's much more discussed than merely speaker designing, so you'll pick up quite a bit of audio technobabble, but again, it these are written for DIY-ers, so there might be a good chunk of stuff you're not interested in.

Other than that, I think Audioholics is a good online source for learning about amps, room setup etc....Just keep frequenting the forums here and you'll stumble across a lot of answers to good questions. Doesn't need to be books. Google is your friend.

By the way, what's your avatar?

stevef22
03-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks, yes I like to read around the forums and google but I want a nice book to study up on. I want to ask more educated questions. My avitar is of a larger picture from a friend on deviant art. Thanks, Im going to get those books.

http://enigmawebdesign.com/Audio_Circuit.jpg

Rock789
03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Best 2 I ever read:
Speaker Building 201 by Ray Alden and
Loudspeaker design Cookbook by Vance Dickason.
CRAPO!
I knew I forgot something!

I ran over to parts express Saturday to pick up the Dayton rack mount sub amp (very sweet) and forgot to pick up those 2 books!

oh well... ups is cheaper than gas to get there again :rofl:

fyi, if any of you guys visit parts express... goto the springboro location, not the downtown Dayton location...

later
mike

AmpNow
03-22-2007, 10:55 PM
I have a copy of Ray Alden's Speaker Building 201. It's a nice one.

McIntosh MA6500 Integrated Amplifier (http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/mcintosh-laboratory-inc-1500/ma6500-integrated-amplifier-5971.html) - Get the MA6500 Integrated Amplifier Catalog by McIntosh Laboratory, Inc.

Rich-n-Texas
03-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Both books are available on Amazon.com. Buy both together for $74.90. They're in my shopping cart. :thumbsup: