Absolute Awesome CD: Best of John Denver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Awesome CD: Best of John Denver

Robert-The-Rambler
03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
What an amazing surprise this has been!!! I always have had a deal of respect for JDs work although I never bought anything but the quality of this 1996 release of rerecordings of his classics has such amazing production value. I was looking just for something that I hadn't heard 10000 times to test my sound setup with after I made some more modifications. I added yet another pair of Sony SS-MB-150Hs hanging from the ceiling above my mains (One on each side) powered by a Behringer EP2500 in stereo mode. They are 5 1/4 " Two Way bookshelf speakers in case you didn't know. Anyway, even if you are not aware of what I've been doing with my sound system, what it boils down to is about a theoretical potential RMS output of near 9000 watts of Rocky Mountain High, Leaving on a Jet Plane. and others all with depending on your taste improved updated versions and obviously much better recording quality than the originals from way back. It only cost me $5.99 at Target. If you're into that style of music or just want to try something different I highly recommend it.

3-LockBox
03-20-2007, 12:13 AM
...the rambler, eh?

now there's some truth in advertising :lol:

Resident Loser
03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
...two-way SONYs w/5 1/4" woofers...it still does not compute...

Out of curiosity, this John Denver disc...did he actually re-record the tunes or are they just digitally remastered?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)

Slosh
03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Out of curiosity, this John Denver disc...did he actually re-record the tunes or are they just digitally remastered?
AFAIK he's dead. Maybe he's been remastered. :D

BradH
03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
AFAIK he's dead. Maybe he's been remastered. :D

No, they made a digital copy of him just before the analog version died. Henceforth, any remasters are only tweaks on the last digital version.

Sort of like MoFi's gold discs.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
...two-way SONYs w/5 1/4" woofers...it still does not compute...

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)

He redid his own stuff with a much more seasoned voice and more modern recording quality. It sounds great.

It computes to loud and clear with little distortion.

Its about 9000 watts divided among the 21 speakers.

PeruvianSkies
03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
He redid his own stuff with a much more seasoned voice and more modern recording quality. It sounds great.

It computes to loud and clear with little distortion.

Its about 9000 watts divided among the 21 speakers.

9000 Watts and 21 speakers are impressive if you actually are driving good speakers in 3 different setups. You know 7 speakers in each setup with 3000 watts of power in each. However, when you combine all of these into an area the size of my bathroom it's not exactly going to sound great, regardless of what you claiim. Too much power, too many speakers, too little sq. footage. Also, just because you have 9000w at your disposal does not mean that you are actually driving that much power because those speakers could not handle it, no matter how many of them you have.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
. Also, just because you have 9000w at your disposal does not mean that you are actually driving that much power because those speakers could not handle it, no matter how many of them you have.

9000 watts is never really going to be realized all at once so that number is actually rather non-sensical. That is why I say theoretical power. And what in the world am I going to listen to that is going to ask for that much juice. I'm not going to be watching a space shuttle launch for an extended period. What I do have is tremendous headroom and low distortion. I've known for years that speaker power ratings don't mean anything. The only thing that matters is what happens when you use them with whatever amp. I also have a live presence in Dolby Pro Logic IIX that you can simply never get with a two channel setup. I can see that we probably will never see eye to eye on this subject but I won't give up hope.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-20-2007, 06:44 PM
9000 Watts and 21 speakers are impressive if you actually are driving good speakers in 3 different setups. You know 7 speakers in each setup with 3000 watts of power in each. However, when you combine all of these into an area the size of my bathroom it's not exactly going to sound great, regardless of what you claiim.

My ears do not deceive me. It sounds phenomenal. My pics probably did a lousy job of providing scale.

PeruvianSkies
03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
9000 watts is never really going to be realized all at once so that number is actually rather non-sensical. That is why I say theoretical power. And what in the world am I going to listen to that is going to ask for that much juice. I'm not going to be watching a space shuttle launch for an extended period. What I do have is tremendous headroom and low distortion. I've known for years that speaker power ratings don't mean anything. The only thing that matters is what happens when you use them with whatever amp. I also have a live presence in Dolby Pro Logic IIX that you can simply never get with a two channel setup. I can see that we probably will never see eye to eye on this subject but I won't give up hope.

I wanted to make a few things clear. First, this is a fun hobby and I hope that you enjoy it as much as the rest of us. It seems that you are very enthusiastic about what you have and what you have accomplished.

Second, I have been in this hobby for about 7 years and I used to know very little then I thought I knew it all only to realize that I just knew even less. Since coming to this forum and going around to audio shows I have educated myself even more on the world of high-end audio and such. I am still a long way off from reaching my ultimate goals with this hobby, but I love what I have thus far.

I say all of this because part of the reason that you are getting flack from most of us is because you are coming off like someone who can talk the talk, but not necessarily walk the walk. If you system makes you happy than that is fine, but I don't think you are going to convince very many of us that what you have is superb ensemble of sonic bliss. It just ain't gonna happen! But that's not what is important. What is important is that you enjoy what you have and hopefully you can learn a few things from the rest of us and maybe even find out one day...that some of us know what we are talking about.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-21-2007, 06:56 PM
I wanted to make a few things clear. First, this is a fun hobby and I hope that you enjoy it as much as the rest of us. It seems that you are very enthusiastic about what you have and what you have accomplished.

Second, I have been in this hobby for about 7 years and I used to know very little then I thought I knew it all only to realize that I just knew even less. Since coming to this forum and going around to audio shows I have educated myself even more on the world of high-end audio and such. I am still a long way off from reaching my ultimate goals with this hobby, but I love what I have thus far.

I say all of this because part of the reason that you are getting flack from most of us is because you are coming off like someone who can talk the talk, but not necessarily walk the walk. If you system makes you happy than that is fine, but I don't think you are going to convince very many of us that what you have is superb ensemble of sonic bliss. It just ain't gonna happen! But that's not what is important. What is important is that you enjoy what you have and hopefully you can learn a few things from the rest of us and maybe even find out one day...that some of us know what we are talking about.

Again, as is true with all of our setups, since we cannot hear what each of us have, it is mostly just printed hot air spun for our own entertainment. I'm always willing to learn. With a setup like the one I built it is only natural to wonder.

PeruvianSkies
03-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Robert,

The biggest difference that I have realized over mostly this past year with upgrading my own system and really learning more about it is that it has very little to do with how much wattage or how many speakers you have. If I have learned or experienced one thing when I finally got my speakers I currently have is the raw EMOTION that they produce. They are not necessarily driven with tons of wattage, but when I play a CD or SACD on them, it's absolute bliss. It's an emotional experience of musicality that only some setups can actually reproduce. There are many great setups here at this forum, and while we cannot hear each others there is certainly a ceiling that most people hit before making that next step into the world of higher end audio. Most will argue where that point is, but I doubt that you are getting it with Sony speakers. I am not criticizing what you have or have accomplished, but I think it would be encouraging for you to visit some really good audio setups or audio shows and see what this world has to offer. You will be blown away.

Also, my system is peanuts compared to what else is out there. In 2005 when I heard a Gryphon Speaker System I about died on the spot!!! Of course they cost about $250,000!!! It better sound fantastic. This system set a benchmark for where I would like to get to one day and while I know it's a long shot, I can certainly work my way up. I am content with where I am now with what I have and I have come a long long way, but there are many more miles ahead if you are prepared to walk the distance!