Headamp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Headamp?

jrhymeammo
03-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Re: Hey Dusty,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
I was wondering, do you use a headamp, especially with your AT sets? I'm starting to show interest in a tube headamp. For somem reason I think you use a Creek OBH-21 or the SE.

If so, I would love to know how they match up.

L yeah, I'm a complete headphone geek, I'd be happy to answer.

I have several headamps. The Creek OBH-11SE is one I've mentioned before, maybe that's what you're thinking of. And yes, it is a good match for pretty much any headphone, I have yet to throw one at it that it can't handle (actually, I haven't tried it with the Leatherhead yet, I should do that...). Not the OBH-11, that's a completely different design, I really like the OBH-11SE. It crosses some threshold which I find very satisfactory. I don't know how that translates to the current lineup of Creeks with the OBH-21 and OBH-21SE (I think), you may want to ask that over on Head-Fi. I suspect the big difference is that the OBH-11SE is a Mosfet design, where'as the OBH-11 is just opamp stuff (I think).

I also have a Singlepower Supra++, and Wheatfield HA-2, but those are both quite a bit more expensive. I also own one of the entry level Stax setups -- this one (http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/SRS3010.html), which I use on a daily basis, but I really would like to add tubes to that lineup somewhere -- back to the Creek, let's put it this way -- I don't think it needs tubes, it's that good.

I also own the Musical Fidelity X-CANv2. I would also recommend the current model, I've heard it, and I endorse this product.

Feel free to post any part or all of this post if you'd like to move this discussion to the public.

is what Dusty said..

So, thank you sir and I will reply later.

Dusty Chalk
03-19-2007, 10:19 AM
What he said...er, that is, what I said.

Fergymunster
03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
While were on the subject of headphone amps I purchused a great Chinese tube amp about two months ago.The amp is the Yarland P100 tube amp and can be had at www.tsto.com for $350.While there I sold my Creek 21se amp which was a hunk of junk compared to the Yarland.

jrhymeammo
03-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Creek 21SE is a hunk of junk? Interesting. Was it good before you heard the Yarland?

jrhymeammo
03-19-2007, 03:59 PM
www.tsto.com (http://www.tsto.com) .

That looks pretty sweet for the price. Where do you get replacement 6N3?

http://www.audiotriodes.com/en/

This is the site I used to get 3 pairs of 6N6 tubes. Before that, I order about 6 pairs from other sites before I knew what I was supposed to use. 6N6-T is what I was looking for, not 6N6-P. So, are you supposed to be using 6N3J or 6N3P?

Yurland looks great, but if I can't find replacements, then I'm not looking to get one that is basically disposable. But that's not too bad, considering how much NOS tubes go for.

How do you like the sound of EL-84? It is more neutral than other tubes you've tried?

Thank you,

JRA

Fergymunster
03-19-2007, 05:19 PM
That looks pretty sweet for the price. Where do you get replacement 6N3?

http://www.audiotriodes.com/en/

This is the site I used to get 3 pairs of 6N6 tubes. Before that, I order about 6 pairs from other sites before I knew what I was supposed to use. 6N6-T is what I was looking for, not 6N6-P. So, are you supposed to be using 6N3J or 6N3P?

Yurland looks great, but if I can't find replacements, then I'm not looking to get one that is basically disposable. But that's not too bad, considering how much NOS tubes go for.

How do you like the sound of EL-84? It is more neutral than other tubes you've tried?

Thank you,

JRAI'm finding out that the stock tubes are great as is.This is my first tube amp and I have been on head-fi where some members have already purchused it.Everyone says it's well worth the money.I have some Russian 6P14P EB tubes for the EL84's in mail and some Russian 6N3P tubes for the 6N3 comming later.There is some speculation that the stock Chinese tubes maybe Russian anyway.The Chinese are trying to make a statement that there tubes are well worth consideration where before they would put junk tubes in.

jrhymeammo
03-19-2007, 07:10 PM
damn, are you about to start a new trend here in AR?

That sounds pretty nice.

Dusty Chalk
03-20-2007, 02:49 AM
That reminds me of another one -- the Xiang Sheng 708B (which also has some weird tubes in it). Another one I would buy if I had the cash, and needed yet another entry level headamp.

Did I mention my two Radii (http://www.radaudio.com/hp.html) units? I can't believe I forgot about them. The HAP-03 and the HAP-02 -- the HAP-02 is basically an MG Head clone (12A_7 + 2xEL84 configuration), and the HAP-03 is just this cute tiny little guy (see link for tube complement). The HAP-03 had some quality control issues early on, but they've since been resolved.

Fergymunster
03-20-2007, 11:13 AM
That reminds me of another one -- the Xiang Sheng 708B (which also has some weird tubes in it). Another one I would buy if I had the cash, and needed yet another entry level headamp.

Did I mention my two Radii (http://www.radaudio.com/hp.html) units? I can't believe I forgot about them. The HAP-03 and the HAP-02 -- the HAP-02 is basically an MG Head clone (12A_7 + 2xEL84 configuration), and the HAP-03 is just this cute tiny little guy (see link for tube complement). The HAP-03 had some quality control issues early on, but they've since been resolved.
Thems some nice amps Dusty

bonethugz
03-21-2007, 06:42 AM
i remember i heard creek 21(non se version) with a hd580 long long time ago(that's before i pay any attention to audio stuff). it shocked me. but that was long long time ago. is the creek better or worse than yarland p100? i don't know but i'm not so sure you can compare them. one is a tube and one is solid state. i'm still thinking if i should get the yarland or darkvoice 336i, that's another great tube chinese amp from the review i read.

Fergymunster
03-21-2007, 09:12 AM
i remember i heard creek 21(non se version) with a hd580 long long time ago(that's before i pay any attention to audio stuff). it shocked me. but that was long long time ago. is the creek better or worse than yarland p100? i don't know but i'm not so sure you can compare them. one is a tube and one is solid state. i'm still thinking if i should get the yarland or darkvoice 336i, that's another great tube chinese amp from the review i read.
I thought the Yarland sounded better then the Creek 21se on the basis that I perfer the tube sounding amps.These are two completely different sounding amps so I probably should not have compared them.With that said I'm thilled to own the Yarland as it's another relatively inexpensive amp from China.There are many good ones out there now and I assume the Darkvioce would be in contention although I have not heard it.Only you can make the decision between the two.I do know this, that six Head-fi members bought the Yarland and It really hasn't been available that long.

jrhymeammo
03-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey Fergy,

Where did you order your 6N3P from?

Fergymunster
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey Fergy,

Where did you order your 6N3P from?
I'm getting them from Skylab who is a member of head-fi.He bought the Yarland and ordered a bunch of 6N3P's from Russia.They should be here in about four days.I'm currently running the stock Chinese 6N3's.By the way I got my Russian 6P14P EB tubes today that replaced my stock Chinese EL84's.Sounds really nice.

Fergymunster
03-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Put stock Chinese EL84's back in.The Russian ones didn't mate well with the stock Chinese 6n3's.In other words the stock Chinese tubes are great as is makling the Yarland quite appealing.

Dusty Chalk
03-23-2007, 02:54 AM
Fm -- have you tried Ei Elite EL84EG (gold pins) yet? My favourite EL84 tube, and it's current production.

Fergymunster
03-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Fm -- have you tried Ei Elite EL84EG (gold pins) yet? My favourite EL84 tube, and it's current production.
No I havn't.I'm thinking of quiting this tube rolling escapade as the stock Chinese tubes sound really good together.

Dusty Chalk
03-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Do it! If you've found something you're happy with, then by all means, stick with it!

bonethugz
03-23-2007, 07:54 PM
i've read the review from him(skylab), by the way, i'm from there. the bonethugz here is the bonethugz there. i'm still choosing getting either this or the darkvoice. i'm leaning towards the darkvoice though

Fergymunster
03-24-2007, 06:37 AM
i've read the review from him(skylab), by the way, i'm from there. the bonethugz here is the bonethugz there. i'm still choosing getting either this or the darkvoice. i'm leaning towards the darkvoice though
Were waiting on Skylabs official review.He gave a spotty here and there summary of it.Anyway,why don't you try the Yarland for 30 days and if you don't like it send it back.I think you'll be in for a real treat.

Fergymunster
03-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Do it! If you've found something you're happy with, then by all means, stick with it!
I just got some RCA 6BQ5's for replacement of the stock Chinese EL84's.WOW,night and day improvement.My searching for tubes has finally ended.I feel like I won the lottery with all the different EL84's tubes out there.

jrhymeammo
03-25-2007, 07:36 AM
My searching for tubes has finally ended.

Try switching back to your stock Chinese tubes after about 2,3 months. That should keep you from rolling tubes for a bit longer... Will see.

Good to see alot of headamp options out there, with tons of tubes.

EarMax anyone?

JRA

Dusty Chalk
03-25-2007, 11:08 AM
EarMax Pro is excellent. The regular (non-pro) one is quite mediocre from all reports.

jrhymeammo
03-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Seems like I've only read negative reviews on the regular model. Reviews sound kinda like stock EAR 834P vs. Deluxe reviews.

http://www.pacificvalve.us/DOGE6210.html

This product looks to be a new one. Pairs of 84 and 12AX7? Hmmmm maybe if I.......

Jraaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrhymeammo
03-25-2007, 05:00 PM

Not sure if that 6N1 will do anything in terms of operation.. Isnt it just there for the looks? Not sure though.

I'm really starting to get sick of those goddamn chinese amps. I dont understand their stragedy at all. If they wanna start selling more units in US, there should start using 6N11, 6N23, 6N8P, 6N9P, and others that are easy to find.

Dear China-men,

Please, no more bullshjt tubes.
We dont like'em
If you stop this non-sense, you will make more money. Trust me.
Just spend 1, 2 extra Yuan per tube.

Stop it
Do it.

Thank you.
I truly hope my message reaches for the sake of our love, and your financial success.

Jraaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Dusty Chalk
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Not sure if that 6N1 will do anything in terms of operation.. Isnt it just there for the looks? Not sure though. Personally, I like it. A friend of mine got one, and he said that when he did some research, he found out that it was connected, but I never followed up or anything. I don't know what he found out or how, but knowing him, he probably just went straight to the source and emailed the person he purchased it from.

Fergymunster
04-01-2007, 09:02 AM
The final upgrade is in place.Replaced the stock 6N3's with some 5670's.They are the JAN military GE types.This Yarland is some kind of wonderful sounding amp.

RuSsMaN
04-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Find a used Melos SHA-1 and Ronco it. The bonus is, it functions as a world class preamp at the same time. I believe the Stereophile quote was (on it's linestage capabilities) 'I doubt one could substantially better at any price.

I've had two, and I let a friend buy one. I won't be parting with mine, and it's a nightly driver for my Grados.

Runs two 6DJ8/6922.

Cheers,
Russ

jrhymeammo
04-05-2007, 06:26 PM
The final upgrade is in place.Replaced the stock 6N3's with some 5670's.They are the JAN military GE types.This Yarland is some kind of wonderful sounding amp.

Can you tell the difference in sound to speak of?

I recently switched my pre-tubes from JJ to Stock chinese tubes. My JJ were more crisp, but I found them to be edgy. And my stock tubes sound less exciting, while I consider them silky smooth.

Fergymunster
04-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Can you tell the difference in sound to speak of?

I recently switched my pre-tubes from JJ to Stock chinese tubes. My JJ were more crisp, but I found them to be edgy. And my stock tubes sound less exciting, while I consider them silky smooth.
My new GE JAN military 5670 tubes is night and day over the stock Chinese 6N3's as is my RCA 1960s 6BQ5 tubes over the stock EL84's.With these upgrades Yarland is very rich and dynamic with such a wonderful presentation.I got my tubes from Brent Jessee a super nice guy and very knowledgeable on the tubes he sells.If you want I have some extra Russian 6P14P EB tubes as well as some Russian 6N3P left over from people on head-fi.There probably better than your stock Chinese tubes.

Fergymunster
05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
This amp is something else.The stock Chinese 6N3 can be replaced with any 5670,2C51,396a tube type which are great sounding tubes and can be found cheap.I settled with the JAN GE 5670's.They sounded harsh at first but after 80 hours have bloomed into a great sounding tube.The EL84/6BQ5 is also a great sounding tube.I settled with the RCA 6BQ5 grey glass which completes the whole package.Guys,no joke this is some kind of wonderful sounding amp.Feel free to ask questions.

BillShiphr
01-15-2021, 01:49 AM
For att hoja din penis rekommenderar jag dig att kopa piller, om du inte vet var du ska kopa dem, ga till den har sidan https://svensktapotek.net/kopa-sildalis/ Dar ser du tabletter av hogre kvalitet och med minimala biverkningar.