Electra Be 1027! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Electra Be 1027!

Rock789
03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
I auditioned a pair of Focal JMLab Electra BE 1027 this past weekend at http://www.hansonav.com/ in Dayton, OH...

WOW is all I have to say!

I think I prefer towers for my HT, but for 2ch, they destroy VR1's, and any other bookshelf I have auditioned to date (take into account, these are 2x the cost of any other bookshelf I have auditioned in the past)

they were very very clear, and had very nice low range extension.

Just thought I would share some of my fun this past weekend ;o)
(I have a question, but it will be posted in the amp section :rofl: )

Dusty Chalk
03-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Yes, something with a Be from Focal is near the top of my dream wishlist.

basite
03-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, something with a Be from Focal is near the top of my dream wishlist.

together with some other very nice and very expensive toys yes... :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rock789
03-19-2007, 09:40 AM
I was told by a sales guy the new Signature Paradigm series will use a Beryllium tweeter. Do you guys know anything about this?
Is Focal the only company with Beryllium tweeters?
this idea sounds very cool to me ;o)

Dusty Chalk
03-19-2007, 10:17 AM
No, did not know about the Paradigm.

High-end Pioneer also uses Beryllium tweeters. I don't know who else. Avalon and B&W use diamond.

basite
03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
the usher dancer BE-10 and BE-20 have a beryllium midrange and tweeter...
the bigger ones in that serie only use beryllium tweeters

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

spf
03-20-2007, 04:09 AM
I was told by a sales guy the new Signature Paradigm series will use a Beryllium tweeter. Do you guys know anything about this?
Is Focal the only company with Beryllium tweeters?
this idea sounds very cool to me ;o)

I believe this has been confirmed for the new Signature line. The photos I've seen from CEDIA are very promising as the tweeter looks totally psychedelic (in the good way :) ). Shiny and glittering charcoal kind of colour. Also, it looks like there will be an S6 tower speaker to fill the gap between the S4 and S8 :).

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2006/091906ParaBeryl/

Shane

Feanor
03-20-2007, 05:08 AM
I believe this has been confirmed for the new Signature line. The photos I've seen from CEDIA are very promising as the tweeter looks totally psychedelic (in the good way :) ). Shiny and glittering charcoal kind of colour. Also, it looks like there will be an S6 tower speaker to fill the gap between the S4 and S8 :).

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2006/091906ParaBeryl/

Shane

Interesting to hear about Paradigm going Be. As usual wiith Paradigm, their website is months behind the latest developments.

emorphien
03-20-2007, 06:24 AM
the usher dancer BE-10 and BE-20 have a beryllium midrange and tweeter...
the bigger ones in that serie only use beryllium tweeters

Keep them spinning,
Bert.
I think those are beryllium deposited over something else. Most of the Be drivers out there are. Focal lead the development of the all-Be driver and probably still leads in overall consistency and quality of what they're manufacturing.

Bernd
03-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Yamaha have been using Be tweeter and midrange years ago in their NS1000, NS2000 and NS10000.
I always found the Focal JM Labs sound too bright for my liking. More like a PA.

:16:

Rock789
03-20-2007, 08:37 AM
others have said focal jmlab are bright as well, but I never thought they were...
From some reviews I've seen, the "pre-S" series was bright, but when they upgraded the tweeters in the "S" series, they lost the brightness without loosing detail.

which series do you have experience with being bright?

I did think the old paradigm signature series were bright, and am disappointed to find the new studio series is using the old signature series tweeter as I did like the old studio series (although I never had a detailed audition, just listened here and there a couple times)...

jmo,
Mike ;o)

Bernd
03-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi Mike,

There is no denying the quality of the JM Lab speaker range and the one you auditioned is a fine model. I think I am somehow sensitive to when the drive unit(s) are made of metal. I also thought that the HF are just a little too brightly lit for my taste. Many like it that way.
Tail end of last year I auditioned the Micro Utopia BE and just last week I listened to the one you heard and the smaller 1007BE at a friends house.
If you like what they do - that's all that should matter.
I do know that ART Loudspeakers used some Focal tweeters some time back and were never quite satisfied with the Focal family sound.

Enjoy and good luck.

:16:

Rock789
03-20-2007, 09:28 AM
thanks ;o)