Guess what I just bought???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I just bought????

PeruvianSkies
03-18-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.globalaudio.ru/sadm_images/Parasound_D3(big).jpg

This will be replacing my Denon 2910, which has served me faithfully for the past year+. I can't wait to get this baby rocking!!!

Dusty Chalk
03-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Please report back when you've had a chance to listen to it a lot, especially redbook. I need a good universal player.

PeruvianSkies
03-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Please report back when you've had a chance to listen to it a lot, especially redbook. I need a good universal player.

Dusty,

This was not a purchase that I anticipated on making at this point, I have wanted this player for quite awhile and was waiting until down the road to get it, in fact I had in mind to upgrade in a few other areas in the meantime since I was content with my Denon, however, I was given a deal that I just could NOT refuse on a universal player of this caliber. I heard this player about 6 months ago and was stunned at just how great it was capable of doing DVD, SACD and CD. My Denon was pretty good with both, but not as good with SACD.

I am super pumped to get this sucker some serious play time and in about 2 weeks I am going to demo a few amps from PS Audio and see how they work with this unit.

I will DEFINITELY be giving a report card soon on this baby!!!

GMichael
03-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Very nice! I'm a big fan of the Parasound products. May you have many thousands of hours of listening bliss.

But when I saw the "guess what I got" title, I expected to have to really guess. Like your guess what my avitar is thread.:idea:

Feanor
03-19-2007, 07:07 AM
This will be replacing my Denon 2910, which has served me faithfully for the past year+. I can't wait to get this baby rocking!!!

Parasound products are attactive to me, although they are ridiculously expensive, new, here in Canada compared to state-side, likely due to a greedy Canadian distributor.

Is you Denon up for sale?

basite
03-19-2007, 07:13 AM
yeah, be sure to review it, and post pics!!

I wonder how much the parasound products cost here...
the halo a23 amp looks pretty attractive, but it will probably be waay to expensive due to shipping costs and stuff, just like the magnepan products...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

PeruvianSkies
03-19-2007, 02:37 PM
yeah, be sure to review it, and post pics!!

I wonder how much the parasound products cost here...
the halo a23 amp looks pretty attractive, but it will probably be waay to expensive due to shipping costs and stuff, just like the magnepan products...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Once I have it up and running I will be sure to post pics. I also just bought and modified a new AV rack to accomodate the new unit since it's a big taller than the Denon.

The D3 lists for about $2500, but with it's capabilities there arew few Universal players that can match it.

Wireworm5
03-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Do you know if it upscales cd's to 24-bit?

PeruvianSkies
03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Do you know if it upscales cd's to 24-bit?

It does and similar to my Denon it also allows you to turn off the video circuitry for pure audio-only operations.

bobsticks
03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Hella nice player. I have been frustrated by the seeming lack of a universal player to meet all my needs, so I'm enthusiastic regarding your impressions. Please report back.

PeruvianSkies
03-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Hella nice player. I have been frustrated by the seeming lack of a universal player to meet all my needs, so I'm enthusiastic regarding your impressions. Please report back.

Like I said I never really thought about getting this just yet, I had been looking around at some of the other great players out there and was really interesting in some of the Esoteric models, but alot of them are only 2-channel SACD players. I am hoping that the D3 is capable of deliver the best of both worlds: audio and video. Worst case scenario I will still use my Samsung DVD player, which is not a superb DVD player, but certainly good enough for now. I had it modified with all new internal gear for better video and also All Region capability with one of the largest NTSC/PAL converters around. So I am definitely keeping it just for the sake that half of my DVD collection will only play on this since they are Region 2 or 3 and the D3 is only a Region 1 player. Although the D3 does do PAL, so I"ll be curious again to see how it performs.

When I played around with the D3 at a dealer about 6 months ago it was only set up for DVD and CD and not SACD, so I am walking blind on that part. However, I don't think it will have a problem putting my Denon to shame in that dept. either. Interestingly enough the D3 did not sell very well at the local dealer, who said that most people that want higher end players are usually familiar with Marantz or NAD and he was giving the Parasound name a shot, but didn't seem to get any takers. While most people were quite impressed with the looks and the performance, most were not ready to drop the dough on it. So this is why I am getting a great deal on it, no other takers and it's a lightly used floor model. I couldn't refuse the offer!!!

PeruvianSkies
03-21-2007, 02:38 PM

bobsticks...what would you say are are your main needs and expectations from a Universal player? I'll be sure to let you know how it does in those areas once you mention them.

bobsticks
03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
bobsticks...what would you say are are your main needs and expectations from a Universal player? I'll be sure to let you know how it does in those areas once you mention them.

Probably similar to yours...decent video with top notch audio in several formats. Actually, I would imagine that I am less picky than you are about video. DVD-A and Sacd capabilities are important ( does it transfer unadulterated DSD signals or convert to PCM?).

Basically, I'd like an all-purpose solution in one box.

PeruvianSkies
03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Probably similar to yours...decent video with top notch audio in several formats. Actually, I would imagine that I am less picky than you are about video. DVD-A and Sacd capabilities are important ( does it transfer unadulterated DSD signals or convert to PCM?).

Basically, I'd like an all-purpose solution in one box.

Essentially what I am looking for here is a superb CD player and SACD player first and foremost. I am not nearly as concerned about video aspects, but this player kicks butt at both and so if I can get the best of both worlds in one player than WOOHOO. If this was a All Region player than I would dump the Samsung, but since it doesn't I'll be keeping it for the time being. I noticed when I bought my Denon that the world of CD and SACD really opened up for me and especially after getting new speakers, so now my transport is on par with my speakers. Here is my plan for upgrade, see if you think this path is wise....

1. Get another Parasound HaloA23 so I can bi-amp my Platinum T6's.

2. Get the Platinum C2 center channel to match my mains.

3. Get either a Parasound or similar Pre-amp or the C1 Controller.

4. Hopefully get pair of Classe monoblocks for the T6's. Use the HaloA23's to drive center and surrounds.

5. Get matching surround speakers to match the L/C/R.

6. Buy matching PSB subwoofer to match everything else.

7. Buy dedicated amp to drive subwoofer.

8. Invest in top-notch crossovers.

9. Win the lottery to pay off all these items.

PeruvianSkies
03-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Check out my REPORT CARD under the DIGITAL forum.