Omnisat v2 Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Omnisat v2 Review

flippo
03-18-2007, 07:06 PM
It has been a few days now since I purchased a pair of Mirage Omnisat V2 speakers and I thought I'd share my impressions so far.

I have always loved the sound of ribbon speakers because of the "presence" you know like it seemed the music was just floating in the air not coming from a box if you know what I mean. I am not saying the Omnisats (OS) can match a speaker like Apogee but they do a very good job for the price. The design of the speakers is so that the sound is radiated in an almost 360 degree pattern.

The OS's are small and made of Brushed aluminum and are very well made. They use a 4.5 in woofer and a 1 inch tweeter. (There is also a floorstanding version of the speaker). They are designed to be on a stand or mounted to the wall ( I have mine mounted on the wall at ear height when sitting). They are a very different looking speaker which might not be to everyones liking (I like them).

The strengths: wide soundstage, very unboxy sound. Like I said before the speakers offer a very good presence. They can handle all types of music (I listen to everything but hip hop) but are especially good with jazz and classical. Frequency response goes low enough to mesh well with a subwoofer. They easily fill my room without struggling (a small to medium size living room). I can't say how they would do in a large room. They are not fatigueing to listen to (replaced a pair of Klipsh 10.5 towers that I like but wanted a change). They are very well built. Large sweet spot, don't have to be anchored to one spot.

the Cons: Some people might not like the looks. Do need a subwoofer with them as the lower limits is at 70 +/-3db.

That is my unexpert review that I thought I'd share.

Flippo

Florian
03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for sharing Flippo and i am glad you like your speakers. I heard some Mirages back in the day and liked them. What you say is true, and if you can get that piece of magic for far less then more power to you :-)

spf
03-19-2007, 04:58 AM
A good honest concise review. All I would add to this is that it is fortunate that you're not a hip-hop fan because the sound from the Omnipolar speakers seems to be rough on that genre of music (for the most part anyways). Cheers

Shane

audio_dude
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
thanks for the review flippo. I heard a 5.1 system using those at my local audio/video store. I totally agree with your huge sweetspot comment, its great for rooms that don't have dedicated theatre seating.

eisforelectronic
03-31-2007, 03:31 PM
I've always been impressed with these sats. I gotta say the floor stander did not seem to be worth the upgrade in price.

Feanor
03-31-2007, 05:53 PM
It has been a few days now since I purchased a pair of Mirage Omnisat V2 speakers and I thought I'd share my impressions so far.

I have always loved the sound of ribbon speakers because of the "presence" you know like it seemed the music was just floating in the air not coming from a box if you know what I mean. I am not saying the Omnisats (OS) can match a speaker like Apogee but they do a very good job for the price. The design of the speakers is so that the sound is radiated in an almost 360 degree pattern.

Flippo

I've had respect for omnis since I owned a pair of Ohm F's back in the day. The sweet spot was anywhere in the room (except very close to one of the speaker). It was necessary to keep them a certain distance from the walls, which is the case too for dipole and bipole speakers.

As I understand it, the Omnistats project more to the front and less to the rear than if they strictly omnidirectional. But I my guess would be that that would confer most of the benefit of true omnis without the drawback.