Speaker props from "Sex And The City". [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker props from "Sex And The City".

superdougiefreshness
03-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone,
I know this is such a dumb question here, but here goes. Does anyone know of the brands of speakers that might have been used as props on "Sex And The City" for character Carrie Bradshaws apartment? They were on stands and many times looked like they changed brands. It seems that they changed through the years and might have evolved as the set did change now a then. And for that matter how about other well known television audio props. What a curious topic for all us audio buffs ?
I can't wait to read the reply's over this one.........O.K...ready...set........GO........... ...LOL
Take care
SuperDougieFreshNess....San Diego - Heaven On Earth - Especially in March

:ciappa:

PeruvianSkies
03-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I'd be really surprised if they were even real at all. Most props are made to resemble the 'real' things. Kinda like when you go into IKEA and see all the furniture surrounded by ...hey wait a minute that DVD player is made outta cardboard....

basite
03-18-2007, 03:09 AM
dunno, why do you want to know?

they (ab)used B&W nautiluses in a videoclip from justin timberlake (no, I don't like his 'songs', I just happened to see the clip) that's about the best speaker I've seen on tv...

IMVHO I think speakers on a set from sex and the city (or any other soap) would be worth bothering about...

maybe they are real, and in that case it would help posting a pic or so...
let us know...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

basite
03-18-2007, 03:28 AM
update:
wait a second...
I looked some stuff up on google and happened to find this:

http://www.hbo.com/city/interiors/carrie.shtml

above the text, there is a slideshow-ish thing that allows you to see 6 pictures, the last one shows you a photo of her living room, where you can see the speakers...

http://www.hbo.com/city/cast/character/carrie_bradshaw.shtml

next to the text there is a 'button' named 'interior zoom' which opens a pop-up, here, click 'carrie's living room', and then click on the circle around the lamp, then you can see a more detailed pic of the speakers...

this however, does not prove that the speakers are real, and as for what I could make out of them, they could be any budget monitor...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Florian
03-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Actually there is an Apogee in Die Hard 1, there is a Martin Logan in Sex and the City :)

Dusty Chalk
03-18-2007, 11:24 AM
And, Did You Know...? That Kim Cattrall was married to Mark Levinson? (I don't know if she still is or not.)

Death2Jrhymeammo
03-18-2007, 11:29 AM
ummm................Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte.

I'm just saying.

D2JRA

PeruvianSkies
03-18-2007, 03:49 PM
And, Did You Know...? That Kim Cattrall was married to Mark Levinson? (I don't know if she still is or not.)

http://www.edhomme.com/fr/catalogues/satisauteur.gif

superdougiefreshness
03-18-2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.edhomme.com/fr/catalogues/satisauteur.gif Thanks for all the input...This post has been very fun indeed.
So, wer'e all in agreement then! she has a really great set of large perky amps up front and she runs it all with a world class preamp package.........LOL
Sorry, this is way too hilarious to not "poke" fun at, lol,lol and no pun intended............ I must LMf AO........twice actually I have laughed really hard........oohps......LOL.
And his products are so beautiful on his web page...........as well.
LOOK WHAT I'VE STARTED WITH SUCH A SHORT & SWEET POST !
And completely innocent as well,........well at least my original post was.......LOL
:ciappa:
LATER
DOUG- San Diego- Heaven on Earth- Espechillllly in March

compaqguy
03-26-2007, 04:11 PM
you will see MartinLogan speakers in...

"The Italian Job"
"The First Wives Club"
'Friends"

I can think of a few other places as well.. just give me time.

anamorphic96
03-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Revel speakers where featured in "What Women Want".

There was some of the higher end Infinity speakers featured in "Raising Helen".

NAD was featured in the Italian Job and War of the Worlds and High Fidelity.

High Fidelity also featured some older JBL studio monitors and Klipsch speakers in the
music store.

As I remeber more I will post them.

emorphien
03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
The Bruce Campbell Old Spice ad had B&W or B&W lookalikes in the background (or cardboard cutouts)

basite
03-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Mcintosh featured in the departed, and in miami vice, and probably in so many others too...

cerwin vega also seems to be popular in movies and tv series...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Blue Meanie
04-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Divorced.

Jeff

superdougiefreshness
04-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Divorced.

Jeff

"So, wer'e all in agreement then! she has a really great set of large perky amps up front and she runs it all with a world class preamp package.........LOL"
Come on everyone, ya know the above quote was very funny,yet no one had anything funny too say in return. I thought at least someone here would have something funny to reply .......
"Have a better one"
p.s.--anyone know what movie that one is from.....its one of my fav's.
Later
:15:

Rock&Roll Ninja
04-08-2007, 05:11 PM
they (ab)used B&W nautiluses in a videoclip from justin timberlake (no, I don't like his 'songs', I just happened to see the clip) that's about the best speaker I've seen on tv...
Have you ever seen Mtv's CRIBS? I'm always amazed that these "professional musicians" never have anything other than a $500 boombox-radio in their McMansions (except the frontman from Godsmack... he had a $25,000 Steinway piano, but no visible stereo).

basite
04-09-2007, 12:36 AM
yeah, I noticed that too (not that I watch it everytime, but anyways) they all have a HUGE tv/projection screen but none of them have a decent stereo, for HT they all have some tiny in-wall speakers. I don't get it, now they have tons of money, they don't care about a stereo anymore. Best I've seen was a pair of B&W 604-ish speakers, but hey, most of them don't want a decent stereo because then they hear how crappy their music is :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

compaqguy
04-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Mariah Carey used to use MartinLogan. I am not sure if she still does.

compaqguy
04-11-2007, 08:02 AM
so did Bob Saget and Whoppi Goldberg

PeruvianSkies
04-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Dont' some speaker manufacturer's list clients on their sites? I am sure that some of them list celebs. Boy i'd be so proud if Shaq had PSB's....

compaqguy
04-11-2007, 03:01 PM
MartinLogan used to list all of their celeb clients

Dusty Chalk
04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
yeah, I noticed that too (not that I watch it everytime, but anyways) they all have a HUGE tv/projection screen but none of them have a decent stereo, for HT they all have some tiny in-wall speakers. I don't get it, now they have tons of money, they don't care about a stereo anymore. Best I've seen was a pair of B&W 604-ish speakers, but hey, most of them don't want a decent stereo because then they hear how crappy their music is :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.Except for Fabio -- Fabio has this US$100K+ system, I don't remember what kind (it was from a TV show like Cribs except on an A&E or FTV type channel, and from before I cared about this stuff).

compaqguy
04-12-2007, 04:24 AM
I think that he used Wilson Audio WAMM speakers, I remember reading that somewhere.

PeruvianSkies
04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
I think that he used Wilson Audio WAMM speakers, I remember reading that somewhere.

That would certainly be a good system. I love the sound of those speakers.

Rock&Roll Ninja
04-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Fabio and his $1mil stereo were on the Tom Green show once

"How much does this cost... I bet it costs, like, $5000" (Tom pushing all the buttons and turning every knob)

Rock789
04-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Mcintosh featured in the departed, ...

I just watched this with my neighbor...
I was like, DUDE!
he asked if that was nice equipment ;o)
I didn't see any speakers it was running other than the headphones... but when she pulled out the headphones speakers were playing somewhere...

basite
04-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Fabio and his $1mil stereo were on the Tom Green show once

"How much does this cost... I bet it costs, like, $5000" (Tom pushing all the buttons and turning every knob)

rofl, the idiot :)

and I'm still wondering why people always have to touch all the things on audio equipment...
I guess they're thinkin "ooh, look what I can do, I turn this knob!!! I'm a genius"

Rock789

roflē
Did you explain what Mcintosh was?
I auditioned som mac gear today, together with wilson audio Maxx speakers...
Just glorious...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Rock789
04-15-2007, 07:18 AM
roflē
Did you explain what Mcintosh was?
I auditioned som mac gear today, together with wilson audio Maxx speakers...
Just glorious...

lol,
I simply said, "nice, and expensive" rofl ;o)

going to purchase some new equipment soon?

basite
04-15-2007, 08:14 AM
nah,
I'm saving for a parasound halo a23 or a primare I21, and I'm hoping I can afford that already :)

It was a "open-day" (?) at the high end shop today (named "cost is no object show", there also was a pair of avalon Isis speakers, driven by Spectral gear, which I also auditioned.

If I had the money... :ihih:

It was a unique chance for the avalons, the wilsons will stay in the shop, I heard B&W 802's there too, and some other nice and very expensive stuff...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.