Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Speaker Management System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Speaker Management System

Brainstorm
03-17-2007, 07:04 AM
This looks promising the Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Ultra High-Precision Speaker Management System and like the (dbx 4800 that’s been installed at the Empire Leicester square as part of its THX installation), the Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 is priced normally around RRP £327.83 but at mad price of £168.99 at Turnkey yeah that positively on the list for the summertime.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/306050.jpg

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/47069/288072.jpg

dbx 4800
http://www.dbxpro.com/4800/4800.htm

Behringer has something along the same lines yet the cost is has high as $3K! No, this one can be picked up for $249.99 or £168.99 at Turnkey site over here in the UK.

Turnkey / Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Ultra High-Precision Speaker Management System
http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/produc...496&context=WEB

Parts-Express / Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 Ultra High-Precision Speaker Management System
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psh...tnumber=248-669

So I have plans to save up and buy a few yes a few is needed to address the audio and at the price these are going for well that’s a huge saving

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/images/BEHRINGER_UltraDrivePro.jpg

Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496
http://www.behringerdownload.de/DCX...SPECS_Rev_C.pdf

The ULTRADRIVE PRO DCX2496 is the ultimate digital loudspeaker management system with an unheard-of audio quality and feature list. It is an indispensable tool for the precise set-up of multiple loudspeaker systems or arrays. Installation contractors, live-sound engineers, cinemas / discotheques / concert hall operators will quickly learn to love this model's rich features. Signals can be split in various ways to assure precise sound by using the optimal frequency range of each loudspeaker.

Start with its 3 analog inputs (one suitable as a digital stereo AES / EBU input) and 6 analog outputs. You get maximum flexibility in just one rack space. Superb high-end AKM 24-bit / 96 kHz A/D and D/A converters give you ultimate signal integrity and an extreme dynamic range of 113 dB. Easy connection of external digital signals with sampling rates from 32 to 96 kHz is a breeze with the integrated sample rate converter. There are precise dynamic EQs for level-dependent equalization and extremely musical parametric EQs, selectable for all inputs and outputs, and "Zero"-attack limiters on all output channels guarantee optimal signal and loudspeaker protection.

You also get four different mono and stereo output operating modes, all with individual crossover filter types (Butterworth, Bessel and Linkwitz-Riley) with selectable roll-off characteristics from 6 to 48 dB/octave. The delays for all inputs and outputs are adjustable. This allows you to manually or automatically correct for room temperature, phase and arrival time differences. An additional sum signal is easily derived from the A/B/C inputs.

Now that remote control is such a hot topic, you'll be glad that the future-proof ULTRADRIVE PRO software enables single or multi remote control via PC through RS-232 and RS-485 interfaces. And the link option via RS-485 network interface enables cascading of several ULTRADRIVE PROs. A Windows-based editing software is available for download free of charge. No matter what the future brings, its open architecture assures easy software updates. A PCMCIA slot allows you to store all your settings and recall them anytime you change the location-virtually taking your ULTRADRIVE PRO with you.

But don't be fooled by the ULTRADRIVE PRO's sleek design. Its high-power 32-bit SHARC-DSP and ultra-high resolution CRYSTAL/AKM A/D & D/A converter provide outstanding audio performance-and the servo-balanced, gold-plated XLR connectors for all inputs and outputs guarantee excellent connectivity for the years to come.

Features:

3 analog inputs (one suitable as digital stereo AES/EBU input) and 6 analog outputs for maximum flexibility
High-end AKM 24-bit/96 kHz A/D and D/A converters for ultimate signal integrity and wide dynamic range (113 dB)
Integrated sample rate converter for easy connection of external digital signals with sampling rates from 32 to 96 kHz
Precise dynamic EQs for level-dependent equalization and extremely musical parametric EQs, selectable for all inputs and outputs

Several types of EQs (LP/BP/HP) for each input and output
"Zero"-attack limiters on all output channels for optimal speaker protection
Four different mono and stereo output operating modes

Individual crossover filter types (Butterworth, Bessel and Linkwitz-Riley) with selectable roll-off characteristics from 6 to 48 dB/octave

Adjustable delays for all inputs and outputs-allow manual or automatic correction for room temperature, phase and arrival time differences

Additional sum signal derived from the A/B/C inputs offers a fourth internal input signal
Future-proof ULTRADRIVE PRO software enables single or multi remote control via PC through RS-232 and RS-485 interfaces (www.behringer.com)

Link option via RS-485 network interface enables cascading of several ULTRADRIVE PROs
60 user-defined internal presets storable via PC software or on PCMCIA card
Open architecture assures easy software updates

Ultra low-noise 4580 operational amplifiers for outstanding audio performance
Servo-balanced, gold-plated XLR connectors for all inputs and outputs

High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction for long life and durability
Internal switch-mode power supply for maximum flexibility (100 - 240 V~), noise-free audio, superior transient response plus lowest possible power consumption

emorphien
03-17-2007, 07:25 AM
It looks fancy, what are you going to use if for, exactly?

(I like the one with the oscilloscope).

Mike Anderson
03-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I would've gotten the Behringer unit, but there's no digital ins or outs!

I ended up going with the much more powerful (and expensive) DEQX unit:

http://www.deqx.com/

Brainstorm
03-17-2007, 09:04 AM
emorphien

Afternoon there

Now that is an interesting answer I’ll be using it the same way that the Empire uses the dbx 4800, heck I’ve got more surround loudspeakers going around the room probably anywhere in the whole of Dorset.

I’ll need at least x4 to start off with, but I’d like to start with one per month given my budget so the sound chain will gradually build up slowly over the Spring and Summertime.

Once I’ve got most of it in place I’ll concentrate on the new affordable amplification. I plan to set the JBL control 5 with the onboard active crossover and if you have read the specifications or features that it has I plan to use has much of it as possible to gain the best out of the most complex Dolby or dts soundtracks on the very few dts laserdiscs that I have.

Brainstorm
03-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Mike

I just read a few paragraphs from the DEQX very nice, I wouldn’t have thought such a device existed until I read the article on the dbx 4800 London’s Empire cinema. Over the last few years I’ve been banging my head against the wall over the many difficulties to which I wanted a solvable answer well I, needn’t wait no longer now.

LOL, Except of coarse a few more weeks.

Mike Anderson
03-17-2007, 10:21 AM
I’ll need at least x4 to start off with, but I’d like to start with one per month given my budget so the sound chain will gradually build up slowly over the Spring and Summertime.

Wow -- Just how many speakers do you have, anyway?

Brainstorm
03-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Mike

Five JBL control 5 for the fronts but, only three are in use at the present time for three-screen.

When I get the extra decoding installed I’ll be running five-screen kinder like the old Todd-AO format or the SDDS 8 easy to do real easy.

Ten JBL control 1 two on each sidewall two for centre back surround one on each side of the centre back surrounds these work with the sides when in monaural use with Dolby stereo 4.2.4 or Dolby stereo six-track with monaural surround.

One Eltax A-12 R sub bass extension sub

One JBL 4645 for LFE.1 only

Total 17

Mike Anderson
03-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Interesting. Do you listen to music through that setup, or is it strictly HT?

Brainstorm
03-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Mike

A little of both when I’m running a CD I’d have it in stereo mode for listening.

For films it has several functions where I can have a little more fun with the Dolby or dts 5.1 mix, where certain amounts of the front mix though careful listening, I can place sounds around or above.

I can take the centre phantom image that’s placed in the left and right during a Dolby or dts program and place that in the centre channel loudspeaker. Also the matrix surround which is always constantly active during Dolby stereo optical tracks in the cinema and in the home I can always keep the atmosphere surrounded at all times while still being able to have the discrete surrounds moving around.

Anyway will see how things go along for next month and seeing the unit is mostly software that from what I’ve read looks like its going to be a whole new learning curve.

Mike Anderson
03-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes, that's one of the things about the Behringer units -- they are NOT user friendly. They are complicated to use, and the manuals suck.

The other thing is that the build quality is subpar. I have a DEQ2496 I used to use for room correction, and about 1-2 times a week, it used to freeze up, spit out some kind of error or noise, whatever. Not a huge deal if it doesn't happen too often, and you're only listening in your living room, but if I was a professional sound person, NO WAY would I use one of these for live shows or take it on the road.

Brainstorm
05-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I’ve just ordered the first unit it will take ten or less days for it to arrive in the UK with next day delivery at £5.99 total cost £174.98p WOW!:16:

This will address multitude sound problems with the three-screen as its got three inputs A B C with six outputs that can be used in one of many several ways with additional amplification for active cross over and the three types of cross over filters to choose from.

Brainstorm
05-02-2007, 12:58 PM
The first unit will address the LCR for a short while before I update the amplification and the front LCR in active mode.

The second unit will address the either the fronts along with a with third unit to handle the LCR surrounds and LFE.1 with LCR surrounds being feed to the sub bass extension while LFE.1 is handled in a different fashion whitest being driven by the JBL 4645.

A fourth and fifth unit will handle the left sidewall surround arrays centre back surround arrays right sidewall surround arrays. The fifth unit will handle height surround arrays.