Subwoofer setup problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer setup problem

Rich-n-Texas
03-16-2007, 04:31 PM
With my Yamaha 5740 receiver, I have the option in the Manual Setup menu of directing my LFE frequencies to either the sub, fronts, or both. The only time the sub outputs is when I select "Both". I'd rather use the SWFR setting, but I hear nothing when I select that output. The sub crossover is set to 60Hz at the receiver and the sub's amp (90Hz setting made no difference), the volume at the sub is at 7 (for what that number's worth) and the phase is set to normal on both also. In "test" mode, I do get white noise when I select the sub, and obviously I have the sub "level" at the receiver set to an audible level. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks
Rich

PeruvianSkies
03-16-2007, 07:41 PM
How are you connecting to the sub, through RCA connection or speaker wire?

basite
03-17-2007, 03:29 AM
dunno with that receiver, but with our yammie (RX-V1300) we don't get any sub output when we use the dolby pro logic I & II, all the other effects do give sub output. This is only when it's a pcm signal, when it's a bitstream signal (a 5.1 bitstream signal, of course, from a dvd or so) it does have output.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

ruckus1706
03-17-2007, 06:27 AM
I have a Yamaha 5860 and I have the same problem. Do you have your front speakers set to large? If so that is the problem......they have to be set to small to use the sub out and not both front and sub.

Rich-n-Texas
03-17-2007, 06:47 AM
I have the sub connected with a single subwoofer cable to the RCA Line-in right & left jacks of the sub (using a Y cable to connect to both). The particular sound effect I'm using is 6-channel stereo. I do have the fronts set as "Large" as per the B&W tech's suggestion, but I'll change it to small and see what happens.

In that same vain though, what do those who have the option of directing your LFE frequencies prefer, fronts, sub, or both?

Thanks
Rich

ruckus1706
03-17-2007, 07:23 AM
My receiver has the auto calibration micro phone and when i calibrate it the settings always go to large front speakers and it tries to only use the sub for the LFE freq. which doesn't work so i always change it to both front and sub and it sounds fine. I have changed my speakers to small and just used the sub and it just sounds like it is missing something.

Rich-n-Texas
03-17-2007, 11:04 AM
You were right Ruckus. And with the output set to both and the LFE crossover set to 60Hz, it does sound better. Thanks. Two cookies for you! Pick your flavor. ;)

Woochifer
03-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Sounds to me like you might have your speakers set to LARGE. With that setting, the subwoofer remains inactive unless you're playing a 5.1 source with a dedicated LFE track. I suggest that you get a calibration disc like the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup disc and use a SPL meter to level match the individual channels and then adjust the subwoofer level accordingly (a lot of the regulars on this board like to go with the subwoofer set to +4 to +6 db above the mains). Routing the bass through the main and subwoofer channels in parallel will give you an unbalanced sound, especially if the the setup has not been calibrated with a SPL meter.

ruckus1706
03-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Im glad to here it sounds better......enjoy.

Rich-n-Texas
03-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Sounds to me like you might have your speakers set to LARGE. With that setting, the subwoofer remains inactive unless you're playing a 5.1 source with a dedicated LFE track. I suggest that you get a calibration disc like the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup disc and use a SPL meter to level match the individual channels and then adjust the subwoofer level accordingly (a lot of the regulars on this board like to go with the subwoofer set to +4 to +6 db above the mains). Routing the bass through the main and subwoofer channels in parallel will give you an unbalanced sound, especially if the the setup has not been calibrated with a SPL meter.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question Mr. Woochifer. I'm honored by your presence in my thread and I value your input.:thumbsup:

[/suck-up]

:biggrin5:

Yes. The troubleshooting guide says that if the receiver's sourcing a two channel input, there will be no LFE output.

I had an engineer I work with bring his SPL meter and a calibration CD (don't remember the name of it) over when I first bought the receiver and he helped me tweak the settings, so I'll be asking him if I can borrow it again soon. The situation I'm dealing with right now is that I'm converting this room back from a game room and a pool table sits right over top of the room's center. I mentioned in Mr. Westcott's thread that we found the sub's dead spot, so when I finally get the pool table removed and can sit in a chair in the correct spot, I'll tweak the settings again. Right now though, the bass is relatively tight and I'm enjoying the hell out of the Allman Brothers! :9:

Thanks
Rich