3 way or 2 way bookshelf [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3 way or 2 way bookshelf

hmmmm
02-16-2004, 10:50 AM
I was going to buy a 3-way bookshelf speaker that has an 8 inch woofer and goes down to 40z. Someone told me to save a hundred bucks and get the 2 way speaker that goes down to below 65hz because I have a Hsu Subwoofer and that I won't be using the lower frequency of the larger speaker. If it helps I'm talking about the Cambridge Soundworks M80 and M60. I have their center channel that has two 6 1/2 woofers a 3 1/2 midrange and the same tweeter. I'd love to save the money if this is true. Thanks!

topspeed
02-16-2004, 04:34 PM
If it were me, I'd get the 3 way simply because it is very difficult to get a sub, any sub, to seemlessly integrate with the mains. The more music you have coming from one point source, the better off you are. A hundred bucks is nothing compared to the amount of frustration it will cost you trying to integrate the two way with your sub. A sub should support a system, not replace missing parts, imo. With mains dropping to 40hz, I wouldn't even have the sub on during critical listening.

Just my opinion

RGA
02-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Generally a two-way sounds better because it is far easier to integrate drivers with one crossover point. Adding a sub makes it a 3 way of course which is why adding a sub and making it integrate properly is very difficult and would require you to make a lot of effor to find the best position for the sub.

A 3way speaker with a sub becomes a 4 way which is still going to require a lot of work. Cheap speakers IMOunder 1k it is practically an impative to buy a 2 way speaker...even in more expensive lines it is usually the two-way standmount that sounds best.

I'm unfamiliar with your sub but I suspect the main problem with integrating bass with a standmount that has less bass rests with the SUB!. It needs to be highly adaptive to the front speakers and allows the user a lot of control over the variables. Perhaps Velodyne musical subs etc over the home theater designed boom boom subs.

manek
02-17-2004, 03:23 AM
hear both speakers....find out which you like better without the sub. If the 3 way sounds better then use the sub only when needed.

hmmmm
02-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think because I can't audition the speakers in my area, I'll try the M60's first. The main complaint people have had with these is that they don't have enough in the low range but these people were not using a sub. I'll set my crossover at 80hz. (by the way, the Hsu Vtf-2 sub I have is very musical in my opinion. We'll see what happens.

topspeed
02-17-2004, 10:05 AM
CSW does in home demo's, right? Order both and send back the one you like less. I believe they even pay for return shipping so you won't be out anything. Even if they don't, don't you think it would be worth the minimal cost to get what you really want in the long run?

Good luck