**Urgent help needed*** Bic Acoustech HT-75 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : **Urgent help needed*** Bic Acoustech HT-75

Bluforever
03-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey sorry to pop in with a question like this.

Im not, by definition and audiophile. But I love good sound.

Well I paid the price of getting my Yamaha NS777's and 555's from the internet. A tweeter blew, and I had to send it back since it was under the 30 days.

Problem is, this ******* seller has informed me I would need to wait 3-4 weeks for a replacement because of backorder issues.

No problem. I got my money back. I have an installer coming to run the wires next sunday afternoon, so I need to get my speakers here ASAP.

I am using the NS777's as my fronts, and a yammy c444 for the center. Would the Bic Acoustech HT-75 make decent back surrounds?

I would like floorstanding speakers as I dont want to buy speaker stands. Its these or the infinity beta 40's.

I need to know what you would do (as my max is $300 - 400$, I cant go higher) as I only have till 5pm est to get em shipped today.

I like the price on the HT-75's, but do they sound good? Are they generally good for the price? Or should I get the polk monitor 50's? Im stuck with the Yammy 777 and 444 for my center.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Edit - to be fair - the seller didnt know the speaker was defective. Im just pissed he held onto my money promising the would be shipped in a week. One week turned into two and now Im under the time pressure. His products are great - just the make and wait thing is a pisser.

Edit 2- also - I do like good sound - and I listen to music quite often, but enjoy lossless PCM blu ray tracks. Any advice would be great. Dont have time to audition. thanks.

audio_dude
03-15-2007, 09:38 AM
hmm, if you can swing the infinity's, go for 'em!!

Dusty Chalk
03-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Can you get both and decide for yourself which you like better, then return the one you like less? That would be your best bet.

Well, they're a lot more sensitive -- 96db vs. 88db, so that's bad. It's not really bad, it's just a little bad. What it means is they're going to be a lot louder than they should be. If you have the ability to adjust their volume either directly or indirectly, then you can compensate.

The Infinity Beta 40's are 91db, so they're a lot closer. They'll only be a little bit louder.

There are other factors at play, too. If, for example, you have your fronts against a wall, and your rears farther away and out in the open, being more sensitive might end up being a good thing.

I have no experience with any of the aforementioned, so can't tell you which just plain sound better.

Finally: why are you in such a rush? This is the sort of decision that we audiophiles spend lifetimes suffering over. They're just floorstanders, it's not like you're installing in-walls. Feel free to spend a month with them, months, perhaps even a year or two, and decide you want to try something else. You're not married to them, there's no reward for brand loyalty, and in the end you'll be happier. Heck, you can even swap all three into the front position (one pair at a time, of course), so that you get more active experience.

audio_dude
03-15-2007, 06:59 PM
What he said ^^^

lewburgh
03-27-2007, 09:22 PM
I use the Acoustech HT-75s for my fronts for home theater in a small room and I am pleased with them. They play loud and still sound relatively good and they are efficient. You don't need a lot of power for the HT-75s. Bass is slighlty lacking but the horns are great, crisp yet not blairing or piercing as some can be. However, not so sure about using them for rears. I second what Dusty Chalk has said.

audio_dude
03-28-2007, 12:45 PM
I second what Dusty Chalk has said.

you mean you "third" it? :ihih:

Bluforever
03-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Well I had a chance to listen to the polks for about two weeks. I ended up returning them because, at least the studio monitor 50's, sounded very flat - or muddied. I dont know, Im not really good a describing these things.

It was like the the highs werent high, seemed like it bled in with midrange. No crispness.

I am now using the Beta 40's, and they are more in line with the yamaha's. The highs are crips, and the mids are middy. Clear lines of definition between the highs and mids. I havent played with the individual volume, but I hear them better than the polks. I dont know if this means they are too lound, but I will get this down pat soon enough.

For the price and my budget, I think Im keeping the infinity's. The performance was well above the polks, and I guess just respond better.

On a wonderful note, I dont think I could be more satisfied with my NS777's and beta 40's.