Midlake anybody? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Midlake anybody?

Mike
03-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Midlake – Trials of Van Occupanther

The album came out last year but I don’t think I’ve seem much mention of it round here, I think it might appeal to a few.

Their sound is fuzzy folk rock with beautiful layered and swirling vocal harmonies that just build and build. They re-create the nostalgia of an early to mid 70’s Fleetwood Mac/Crosby Stills/Jackson Browne soft rock sound, but as with the best retro sounds they bring a modern twist. A lot of my friends who hate all that 70’s stuff find this album very endearing whenever I play it around the house.

Love the kooky album cover too, like some photo from a private country house party.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/midlake/trialsofvanoccupanther

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Hey Mike. Thanks for pointing this out. I've never heard of them, but checked them out on My Space and they've got a nice sound.

http://www.myspace.com/midlake

Bernd
03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One of my favourite buys from last year. Got it on Vinyl. Great music - freaky cover.

Peace

:16:

Dusty Chalk
03-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Fuzzy like wool, or fuzzy like cashmere?

PeruvianSkies
03-16-2007, 12:46 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fuzzy like wool, or fuzzy like cashmere?

:16:

:):) :) :)

Mike
03-16-2007, 01:18 AM
More like Alpaca

Cheers
Mike

3-LockBox
03-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Midlake – Trials of Van Occupanther: Their sound is fuzzy folk rock with beautiful layered and swirling vocal harmonies that just build and build. They re-create the nostalgia of an early to mid 70’s Fleetwood Mac/Crosby Stills/Jackson Browne soft rock sound, but as with the best retro sounds they bring a modern twist. A lot of my friends who hate all that 70’s stuff find this album very endearing whenever I play it around the house.

I have listened to this album as a matter of fact...and yes, I would agree with the Fleetwood Mac thing, as long as yer talkin middle period Mac, ala Bare Trees/Bob Welch. It was recommended I give this album a shot after someone told me that I might like their music...this by a person who heard my Pure Reason Revolution disc (I have no idea why).

BTW: me likey