Axiom M3ti's or Paradigm Titans? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axiom M3ti's or Paradigm Titans?

chrismorgan
02-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey folks, would you all suggest Axiom M3ti's or Paradigm Titans for a budget of $250-300? Would you suggest somthing else? Thanks, Chris.

P.S. for classical Music

kexodusc
02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Hey folks, would you all suggest Axiom M3ti's or Paradigm Titans for a budget of $250-300? Would you suggest somthing else? Thanks, Chris.

P.S. for classical Music
Please look at my review of the M3Ti's from December 2003...I've owned both. I got the M3Ti's to replace the Titans in my dining room. Maybe I just grew too familiar with my old Titans, but in my humble opinion the Axiom's fall short, particularly in mid range and bass response. They look quite a bit prettier, and have lots of colors to choose from. I've had them for a few months now and have since given away my old Titans to my mom and dad (sigh). I'd rank the Axioms with PSB Alphas (which I've also owned, and vouch for) a solid performing, but slightly inferior speaker, and not quite the value the Titans are. All in all I'm pleased with the M3Ti's, but I still lean towards the Titans in terms of overall performance.
If you really listen to a lot of classical music, I've been rather impressed with Energy's XL series which I believe is also within your price range. They look a bit goofy but who cares. Solid budget performers.
You'll probably find PSB, Paradigm, and Energy a bit easier than you will Axiom, but if you can test all of them your off to a good start. I also like Athena's speakers in that price range, but I'm not sure you'll get the detail for classical music you're looking for. Put them on the list anyway.
Picking out speakers is like picking out cars though, there isn't a universal truth, you might like the Axioms more than the Paradigms. Nothing wrong with that either.

RGA
02-16-2004, 04:36 PM
I would buy a nice used set of speakers...your money will go much further. I am not impressed with the Titans and because Axiom is an internet seller i have no way to acess them for a listen. And of course I would not buy a speaker based of reviews since all spekaers get a good review then reviews are kind of a waste of time.

There are many companies that make comparably priced speakers that I would take over the Titan, such as Mission, B&W, Energy, Wharfedale, Linn, Kef, Tannoy, PSB, Jamo, Klipsch, Polk, for a healthy start. But you could also get a 3 year old higher model from all of the above in your budget which is the way I'd go---especially if you get the balance of the warranty.

ryewoods
02-16-2004, 09:15 PM
From what I have heard from people the M2i is better than the M3i, and its slightly cheaper. The Paradigms are pretty good, but I think the Axioms are more highly regarded although I have never heard them. Also check out the Ascend Acoustics 170, which are stellar at their price.

Jimmy C
02-17-2004, 03:35 AM
...here are two ideas within that price range -

If you have the "chautzpa" (sp?) to go the used route, you could pick up a mint pair of Boston's "A" series (from the early-mid eighties). eBay often has them - I would stick to the 2-ways in that series... especially the A70s or A100s. The former has an 8", the latter a 10. Both employ soft-dome SEAS. Good bass, smooth highs and quite dynamic - parts always available, new or used. Buying used certainly has disadvantages, but these will be well within or under budget if you have the patience to find a good pair. Other opinions can be found at AudioAsylum.com, under "vintage".

My other suggestion would be to build the BR1 from PartsExpress.com. I haven't heard the Axioms, but this kit is clearly better than the Titans. These are laid back, smooth, and w-a-y less boxy sounding than the Paradigms. A few hours to build, but not too bad if you can solder. About $159 to your front door.

Welp, there's two pain-in-the-ass answers, but I feel the hassel will be worth it in the long run - certainly compared to the Titans.

46minaudio
02-17-2004, 05:59 AM
In that price range go to Best Buy and check out the Athena ASB1s.About 179 per pair and meybe less online..