TV/Projector do you have? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV/Projector do you have?

vnguyen1l
03-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I was wondering what kind of TV/Projectors does everybody here have?
I'm looking in to buying a new TV so i want to know what you guys have and if you're happy with it.

musicman1999
03-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I have a 51hx84 Theatre series Toshiba CRT HDTV.It is ISF calibrated and i am very happy with it.

bill

s dog
03-14-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a toshiba 57Hx84 CRT HDTV, Im very happy with the picture i get from this tv. I think you can buy this tv pretty cheap if you can find one, CRT'S are getting kinda hard to fined now days.

vnguyen1l
03-15-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm looking in to buying a new tv. I remeber watching my buddies Sony XBR 52 inch and i must of fell in love with it. Only problem is the Sony XBR line are so freaking expensive, 5k..

I'm willing to fork out around 4 to 5k for a tv but i want to get my money's worth. Prefer something a little bigger too.

GMichael
03-15-2007, 09:05 AM
I have a couple of the Sanyo Z-4 projectors. (The newer and better and cheaper Z-5 is out now though) They cost me $2000 each, including screens, mounts, and cables. One screen is 106" and the other is 92". They are HD 720p/1080i. I love them both with all my heart.
But projectors need controlled lighting. They don't work so well in bright light. You'd have to take a close look at what conditions you have and if you are willing & able to change them accordingly.
Here is a good site to learn about them if you are interested. http://www.projectorcentral.com/

And here is where I bought mine: http://projectionwholesale.com/prodList.asp?idCategory=4

recoveryone
03-15-2007, 10:29 AM
The old CRT 55WS MIts is going strong, but I do have a projector that has an awesome PQ, Dell 2100MP DLP. I just use the projector for my laptop mainly. When the CRT dies I will proberly go with a projector.

topspeed
03-15-2007, 03:20 PM
With the way prices have fallen on tv's, your budget will buy you just about anything. You should pick what looks best to you. The great thing about buying monitors as opposed to speakers is that they are a lot easier to compare. After all, most of the time they all have the same progamming on and are side by side :). That said, be careful of the big stores like Best Buy or Circuit City where they may set some monitors to "kill" in an effort to initially present a better picture on some sets vs. others.

In answer to your question, I have a JVC DiLA (LCoS), a set whose current 1080p iteration was picked as "Best On The Planet" by The Perfect Vision, if that matters to you. LCoS sets such by JVC or the Sony SXRD series don't suffer from any of the contrast issues, screen door effect, rainbows, limited resolution, or other liabilities that seem to plague just about every other technology (i.e. LCD, DLP, plasma). Even CRT rptv's, which may actually still provide the best overall picture, have off-axis viewing and calibration issues. Everything is a compromise. The question is, what are you willing to compromise on?

If you liked your friend's XBR, you really owe it to yourself to check out the SXRD. It, along with the JVC, presents a stunning picture. Compare it to Sony's Bravia, which is the best direct view LCD set I've seen so far. Here's the kicker tho, watch SD programming, not HD. Everything looks good in HD, but there really isn't that much HD programming yet. The difference between a SXRD and Bravia on SD programming isn't subtle. You'll see...

Hope this helps.

L.J.
03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I own a Sony SXRD model KDS-60A2000. Picked it up for a nice price a couple of weeks before the superbowl. PQ is freakin' sweet.

Rich-n-Texas
03-16-2007, 04:54 AM
I just purchased a Mits 57" DLP through my company's employee purchase program, and it should arrive in a few days. If you buy one, it'll help keep me employed! :cornut:

Kickbacks? Did I say kickbacks?

Groundbeef
03-16-2007, 12:13 PM
I have 2 Plasma's, and I wouldn't buy anything else. Although I realize that projection makes for a larger picture, I didn't want to hang anything from the ceiling.

The most recent purchase was a Pioneer PDP-5071HD. It is not the Elite line, but I don't have Elite line buying power. It is a marked picture improvement over the 3 year old Sony 37" plasma. I also have.

The blacks are PITCH black, viewing angle is quite wide, and frankly, the picture is stunning. SD programming looks very good as well. HD-DVD is like being there.

24, Lost and any other HD program is unbeliveable. In about 1 month DirecTV will be sending me my locals in HD as well. That will bump up my availble HD channels by at least 2. Welcome back NBC, and CBS. Currently my HD off Air cant get those 2 as the tower is too far away.

Good Luck!

vnguyen1l
03-23-2007, 03:41 PM
my budget would be around 3k for a tv. what does everybody recommend, bang for my buck?

also what would be best for hdtv, Plasma or LCD?

GMichael
03-24-2007, 05:25 PM
my budget would be around 3k for a tv. what does everybody recommend, bang for my buck?

also what would be best for hdtv, Plasma or LCD?

Best answer is, it depends.

What size room?
How far do you sit from the screen?
Is it a dedicated HT room?
Is it light controlled?

ellisr63
05-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I have the Epson 1080.. beautiful picture. $2699 right now through PP... I bought it before the $300 rebate and the $100 off price deal. Best $3k I have spent for HDTV.