Center and satelites- advice welcome! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Center and satelites- advice welcome!

Eric Z
02-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Hello, everyone-

I currently have Mirage FRX5 floorstanding speakers and a Def Tech PS80 subwoofer. I am looking in completing my set-up, but don't know what route to take. I am in the market for a center channel and rear (satelite) speakers.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, but of course I want a good product. So far I spent $300 on the Mirages (few years ago) and $275 on the Def Tech a subwoofer. I would like to spend about another $300-$400. Is that realistic?

From what I hear, it doesn't matter if the brands match, as long as they are good speakers. Is that true? Was thinking about going with Def Tech, Canton, M&K (not even sure if they have decent speakers in this proce range).

I am also in the market for a new receiver (not included in the $300-$400 range)- that's in a separate post under the HT section.

Thanks again, everyone.
EZ

markw
02-16-2004, 01:45 PM
The center speaker, at least, should match the mains as closely as possible. This is to assure that sounds (voices, etc) panning from one side to the other don't change as they transverse the screen. You might wind up with Ahnold on the sides but when he's in the center channel he morphs into Pee Wee Herman.

As for the surrounds, these are less critical because in movies these generally only provide ambiance clues and occasional gunfire and the like. If you intend to go for multi channel music as well (and I can't see why you wouldn't), then you might want to consider matching the fronts as well. Same reason as given for voices, but substitute the word guitar.

chimera128
02-17-2004, 12:01 PM
If you have a deftech dealer close by, ask them if they have any demo models of the ProCenter C2 center channel. It's retail is $300. If you not you should still be able to purchase it for around $250 or less. You may just want to spend the entire 300 - 400 on the center and buy some better surrounds later on. DD/DTS is really meant to have full range all the way around. Patience pays off in the long run.

topspeed
02-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Eric you absolutely want the center channel to match your mains if possible. As Mark noted, timbre matching across the front stage is extremely important during movies and hi-rez (SACD/DVD-A) multi channel playback. Check out Mirage and see if they have a matching center or at least something that is voiced in the same "house sound."

Eric Z
02-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Good info, guys- thanks!

I will check around to see what Mirage centers are available. However, now I really like the Def Tech products- also, my dealer doesn't carry Mirage anymore- Def Tech is their newer thing. I would hate to go with a Def Tech center and make a mistake and the fronts don't match.

Is it a terrible idea to go with a Def Tech center when I have Mirage fronts?

Any other brands closely match Mirage? I heard Energy is made by the same parent company???

chimera128
02-17-2004, 02:27 PM
If your mains aren't too big, take them with you to the audio store and have them hook them up so you can see which center matches best with them.