Help me Replace my HTIB speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me Replace my HTIB speakers

Gavica
03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I bought these Home theater in a box a couple of months ago for $150

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1002526

But I noticed that the speakers are kinda weak, they are not too powerful, sometimes I have to raise the volume almost to MAX to hear some channels.

Also the surround speakers arent that powerful either, so the surround effeect isnt that great.

I am on a budget, but someone at another forum told me these could be great replacements and that the sound difference are amazing.

He told me to buy 2 sets of these for Left, Right and surround:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4965491;jsessionid=AvvrPqlnqHxFlwmKtOpEIw**.node2? site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and to buy these center speaker:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4463996?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

the center speaker seems to be a bit expensive, but I can somehow manage, although if there is anything cheaper taht is also good, would be better.

As for the Subwoofer it seems to be good enough, no issues with that.

Also, these speakers are for my bedroom and since I live on a apartment building I cant be that loud either.

any info would help

thanks a bunch:6:

audio_dude
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah, polk speakers are pretty great, and thats a good price. I'd say do it, they'll give you an AMAZING improvement over your current speakers. and the receiver looks powerful enough to keep these speakers going.

Go for it, but make sure to LISTEN to them first.

Gavica
03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
what do you mean listen to them first?

you mean like try those polk before i buy?

problem is they are online, i have never seen those at a store.

Dusty Chalk
03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
They should be available at a store.

PeruvianSkies
03-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Ok,

I was going to agree with some of the others said and recommend some ideas, then I decided to really investigate this and try to give some unusual advice. Personally, I think you should stick with what you got. No offense, but upgrading with your limitations is not going to be that substantial and I would save your money (for now). However, by doing this, you will become more irritated than you already are with your system and if you keep that pressure built up long enough than maybe in time you will be ready to go ALL OUT. Maybe at that point you will be in a residence that enables some louder noises and you can make a real investment. You see, that $150 system you have was a short-term investment that doesn't seem to be delivering and by just throwing a few more dollars at it isn't going to make it sing. I would be patient, deal with the torment now, and wait until you are really read to do things right, versus trying to band-aid what you have now.

But that's just me.

Gavica
03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
thanks for info, the htib i bought isnt really that cheap, i just was lucky to find it on sale at a local walmart.
But it retails for 250-300 currently, its a pretty decent reciever, that is why I was wondering if those speakers would make a huge difference.

audio_dude
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
yeah, he's got a decent receiver, not the best, but decent. The speakers are really ****ty and i would recommend you actually buy the polks after hearing them at bestbuy or somewhere...

Bluforever
03-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Be careful. I thought I could use my Sony HTIB receiver to power yamaha ns 777's.

You may need to set some dough aside for a new receiver. All my highs were distorted.

SAEA501
03-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm with Peruvian on this one. This HTIB is a good start, but I would save and buy something nicer.

I am concerned that your current receiver might not have enough power to drive a higher quality speaker. It is designed to drive the speakers it came with, which are extremely efficient. You will probably end up in the same trick bag as Blue did.

GMichael
03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Try this first: Are you using the speaker wire that came with your HTIB system? Is it like 20 or 22ga? You may want to switch that out for some 16ga or better. It will make a huge difference for cheap.
This may make you happy enough, long enough, to be able to save up for a better improvement.

Gavica
03-16-2007, 02:30 PM
not sure what type of wire I am using, how do I find out what type it is?

audio_dude
03-16-2007, 03:02 PM
just look at it and examine the wire, it should have some number on it, if not, its not too hard to determine an approximate guage. If its between 2-5mm thick, its too small, go to the store and get buy some decent 14 or 16 gauge cable.

L.J.
03-16-2007, 03:06 PM
If your using the cable that came with the HTIB, odds are it's crap.

I kinda agree with all the suggestions. If swapping out the speakers and using the current AVR will get you there, I don't see what it will hurt to give it a try. If it still sounds bad, simply return the speakers and go with the suggestion of just saving up and starting over.

Luvin Da Blues
03-16-2007, 04:43 PM
I agree with trying new speaker wire first...your going to have to buy it anyway for the new speakers

Gavica
03-16-2007, 07:47 PM
where can I find good speaker wire for cheap?

Gavica
03-16-2007, 07:48 PM
ok, i found a number on the cable, it says 22awg, is that it?

L.J.
03-16-2007, 08:35 PM
where can I find good speaker wire for cheap?

You can pick up cable at Home Depot or order online at bluejeanscable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm).

You can also try Radio shack, Best Buy, Circuit City........you get the point.

Luvin Da Blues
03-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes that the American Wire Gauge Size..22awg is way too small. The smaller the number the bigger the wire. ie; #14 is bigger than #16 which is bigger that # 18 etc.

If your on a real budget you could go to your local hardware store and buy #14 or #16 zip cord (2 conductor lamp cord) which would work OK for your current set up. Not as good as dedicated speaker wire that has a lower oxygen content but you may not notice until you upgrade to better components and speakers.

You also have to make sure that all the speakers are wired in phase, by that I mean that the +(positive) on the receiver speaker terminals are going to the + on the speakers and the -(negative) is going to the negative. Most wire has either a flat side or writing on 'one' of the conductors and use that as a reference ie; connect it the positive on both the speaker and the receiver.

This will ensure that the woofers are both "pushing out" at the same time and not have one pushing and one pulling which can cause phase cancellation and a reduction in the bass response.

Hope this helps.

Luvin Da Blues
03-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Thats a great price for what seems to be a decent cable. You can cut this wire and get more than one run per spool. You have to measure each speaker run and do the math to see how many spools you will need. One caveat...make sure your runs are continuous so you may have some left over from each spool.

Read my earlier post about the phasing to get the best from your system. Also try moving the speaker around a bit to optimize each speakers response....rule of thumb - generally the closer to the rear wall the better the bass unless their rear ported.

Gavica
03-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I found speaker cable here, seems kinda cheap?

should I buy 5 of these? will these fit my speakers?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2749&seq=1&format=2&style=

Dusty Chalk
03-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Only if each of your speakers are 50 feet away from your receiver -- just buy as much as you need.

And yes, that's probably fine. It should be an upgrade from your 22AWG speaker wire.

Gavica
03-17-2007, 07:00 AM
ok, one last question before I buy this cable.

Does this cable have 2 ends on each side, for Positive and Negative? like the one that came with the HTIB?

Luvin Da Blues
03-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Yes..pretty much the same thing only thicker..and better

Luvin Da Blues
03-17-2007, 07:14 AM
One more thing Gavica,

You will need to strip about 1/2" to 5/8" of insulation from each wire (buy a wire stripper from a hardware store for 'bout $5 to $10) and twist the strands tightly so there are no loose strands sticking out of the terminals and insert it fully into the terminals such that it is making contact with the bare wire and not the insulation.

Let us know if this makes a real difference.

GMichael
03-17-2007, 08:21 AM
I found speaker cable here, seems kinda cheap?

should I buy 5 of these? will these fit my speakers?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2749&seq=1&format=2&style=

This cable should work much better than what you have now. But I don't think you'll need 5 rolls. Measure what you'll need.
This change alone should give you a fuller sound. Remember to follow the instructions above about keeping the + and - where they belong. That's very important.
Don't forget to come back and tell us how you make out with this.