50" TV and speaker installation height [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 50" TV and speaker installation height

doubledeed
03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi everybody.
I'm just finishing my new house and really excited to get back on my lot- the hurricanes in 2004 destroyed everything I own and had to do a complete rebuild. Anyway, I'm putting in a 50" flat screen and wanted to know what a good height would be for the TV. The room is quite long and brokend up into two areas. One being the tv watching area about 10-18 feet away and then the kitchen which is about 30-50 feet away- the romm is aobut 18 feet wide or so.

Also, I've purchased some JA Audio speakers that are 20" long for my fronts and surrounds. They are easy to install but my center is a different issue. In order to not cut studs in the walls, I would need to install the center speaker vertically. Does this affect the center speaker sound? I know the aesthetics would be off but maybe I could live with this. Also, can you wire two center speakers in series so that I could place them side by side?? I know that's not standard and would affect the total impedance but what about the sound?

MANY, Many thanks in advance
dave

Dusty Chalk
03-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't worry about installing them vertically or horizontally for audio, but if you're installing your center vertically, won't it get in your way visually?
Also, can you wire two center speakers in series so that I could place them side by side?? I know that's not standard and would affect the total impedance but what about the sound?Yes you can, but it will also affect the effective sensitivity, so it will be ...erm...(does some math) ...erm...quieter, I think.

nightflier
03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
In order to not cut studs in the walls, I would need to install the center speaker vertically. Does this affect the center speaker sound? I know the aesthetics would be off but maybe I could live with this. Also, can you wire two center speakers in series so that I could place them side by side?? I know that's not standard and would affect the total impedance but what about the sound?

Actually, I would recommend buying a different speaker for the center. Your problem was quite common a few years back when in-wall speakers were just starting to catch on, but now most companies have center in-walls designed to fit between common stud widths. Are you sure your JA Audio center is not a standard R/L speaker? If so, you should probably talks to whomever sold it to you.

If not, then I'll guess this is one of those older models. Installing centers vertically is usually not a good idea because these speakers are typically designed to disperse the sound differently than L/R speakers (dispersed tall instead of wide). I'm not familiar with JA Audio, so I can't say that's definitely the case here, but generally speaking that is the rule. Before installing the center in the wall, you might want to just place it on a table in front of the wall, try it both vertically and horizontally. If there's no diff, then you could probably get away with it.

Evidently, my L/R speakers are the identical same model as my center and I've never considered mounting that sucker vertically. Hmmm...

westcott
03-14-2007, 08:29 AM
As a rule, all of your front tweeter and midrange drivers should be as close to ear level as possible. The center channel placment is particularly important because most of the sound in a HT setting will be coming from that speaker. Another tower is recommended for the center channel if you have space for it instead of turning a center channel vertically. Placing a center channel to close to the floor causes early reflections which can muddy the sound and can make it will sound unrealistic. Especially if it is too far from the display. A stand is preferred over placing it inside an entertainement center as this too can degrade potential sound quality.

I can not say enough how important center speaker placement is so take your time and the fewer compromises, the better it will sound. Needless to say, sheetrock and wall studs are no match for a well engineered and constructed speaker cabinet.