Speakers for Trance / Progressive / Techno [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for Trance / Progressive / Techno

laurencekarl
03-13-2007, 02:37 PM
I listen to a lot of electronic dance music e.g. Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Sasha, George Acosta etc. I also used to play violin and like music produced by people such as Allison Krauss and Union Station. I have a pair of polk LSi15s hooked up to a ADS amp that sounds great for more acoustic, vocal, and classical types of music e.g. some of Dave Matthews cds sound amazing on them. However, I would prefer something a little more suited to Trance. These speakers must also be able to put out enough volume when combined with other speakers for a rave or loud house parties. I have several subwoofers so they don't necessarily have to be full range. I absolutely hate dull, boomy speakers. I can't say I enjoy overly bright, ear bleed speakers either but my ears are young and I would rather lean that way than more "analogue" sounding speakers. My main criteria are: detail, enveloping / wide soundstage, and the deepest, tightest bass possible. Also I don't like most of the PA speakers I've heard because they are so flat sounding. I like to use EQ a lot so the bass is deep and makes you vibrate but doesn't boom and the highs are high and detailed but the midrange is not too thin. Not analogue but not thin either. I've found low end polks to be too dull and low end infinities to be too thin. The LSi series are pretty good and I'm going to keep them but I want something more like the Klipsch sound I think. I want speakers that can make electronic music sound electronic and make you want to move not make electronic music sound analogue. Based on reviews I have been wanting to try the Monitor Audio silver series and bought a pair of SR6 s on Ebay but based on the seller's feedback and lack of response to my shipping question I don't know if I'm going to actually receive them. I was also looking at the Klipsch RF-7 s too. I don't think I'm going to be able to hear either of those speakers. The local audio salon caries B&W and they sounded good but that's all I've heard. They would be placed in a medium sized living room sometimes to a full length basement for raves.

Price range is $400 - $1300. I need amp suggestions too but I would prefer to buy something old, good, and cheap e.g. something from the 70s or 80s for $150-$300. I've had and enjoyed ADS and NAD amps and sometimes you can get those for cheap. I've also thought about buying a yamaha RX-V1400/ 1500 / 1600 or higher model although I don't care so much for the HTR-5930 and HTR-5940 receivers that I have.

Also is there a pre-amp or something that splits up an input into a bunch of pre-outs for a many amp / multi room setup?

Dusty Chalk
03-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I really like trance -- squeaky clean synths, deep tight bass, not a whole lot going on in the midrange -- on my Dynaudio Special 25's, but they're a bit out of your price range, and would need a more powerful amp than you're likely to get for $150-$300. I was told that the Dynaudio in-walls were basically the same speaker without the Esotar² tweeter (well, rather, with a different tweeter) -- the "IP-24", I believe they're called.

As to the preamp-multi power amp setup -- if you use the same amp (or at least the same input impedance on all the amps), there should be nothing wrong with just using a splitter on the output of your pre. As long as its powerful enough. If you're talking more than 4 or so, that might be a different story, but you might just want to get a receiver capable of driving multiple speakers.

laurencekarl
03-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I really like trance -- squeaky clean synths, deep tight bass, not a whole lot going on in the midrange -- on my Dynaudio Special 25's, but they're a bit out of your price range, and would need a more powerful amp than you're likely to get for $150-$300. I was told that the Dynaudio in-walls were basically the same speaker without the Esotar² tweeter (well, rather, with a different tweeter) -- the "IP-24", I believe they're called.

As to the preamp-multi power amp setup -- if you use the same amp (or at least the same input impedance on all the amps), there should be nothing wrong with just using a splitter on the output of your pre. As long as its powerful enough. If you're talking more than 4 or so, that might be a different story, but you might just want to get a receiver capable of driving multiple speakers.

Thanks and I will investigate these speakers. They look very nice. This is a spur of the moment purchase for a rave on Saturday so I will definitely upgrade down the road.

I would like to power around 20 speakers in several rooms using receivers and amps that I already own.

nightflier
03-13-2007, 04:41 PM
You should take a listen to Paradigm speakers. I've heard them often and have almost bought them several times. Mated with a used 200+ Watt Adcom amp, you should have the sound you're looking for. You also might want to consider Klipsch's previous lines, like the RF-5 or RF-7, they can be had for substantially less than your budget on eBay and Audiogon.

By the way, the Klipschs are 8ohm, and more sensitive than your typical speaker, so they should be much easier to drive with a smaller amp. You could probably get away with just a solid (PS Audio, Adcom, Carver) 100W amp that has plenty of overhead. The RF-7s are rated at 250W continuous / 400W peak, if memory serves me right, and so with a 200W amp, you'll be shaking the whole house. With a good quality amp that can tolerate 1-2 ohm swings, and speaker switch you should be able to drive 4 - 8 of these speakers quite easily,

One of the things that the Polk LSi towers do well is disperse the sound thanks to that amazing tweeter and the side-mounted woofer. To find something similar in a higher end speaker, you'd have to move up in price considerably (check our Audio Physic and Coincident). For $1200, the Polks are an excellent value, in that respect. Which leads me to wonder why they are not meeting your needs. I know they can be bass-shy and power-hungry, but that's not an issue for you since you can add subs.

So what is it that you don't like about the LSi's? And more to the point, will adding a solid, more analytical amp like the Adcom, be enough?

laurencekarl
03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I might also mention I have no problem assembling speakers and soldering crossovers etc. although I'm not really into the sawing etc. I noticed someone posted a link to speakers at parts express or somewhere that looked interesting and if the quality is better for the same cost I would go for it.

laurencekarl
03-13-2007, 05:07 PM
You should take a listen to Paradigm speakers. I've heard them often and have almost bought them several times. Mated with a used 200+ Watt Adcom amp, you should have the sound you're looking for. You also might want to consider Klipsch's previous lines, like the RF-5 or RF-7, they can be had for substantially less than your budget on eBay and Audiogon.

By the way, the Klipschs are 8ohm, and more sensitive than your typical speaker, so they should be much easier to drive with a smaller amp. You could probably get away with just a solid (PS Audio, Adcom, Carver) 100W amp that has plenty of overhead. The RF-7s are rated at 250W continuous / 400W peak, if memory serves me right, and so with a 200W amp, you'll be shaking the whole house. With a good quality amp that can tolerate 1-2 ohm swings, and speaker switch you should be able to drive 4 - 8 of these speakers quite easily,

One of the things that the Polk LSi towers do well is disperse the sound thanks to that amazing tweeter and the side-mounted woofer. To find something similar in a higher end speaker, you'd have to move up in price considerably (check our Audio Physic and Coincident). For $1200, the Polks are an excellent value, in that respect. Which leads me to wonder why they are not meeting your needs. I know they can be bass-shy and power-hungry, but that's not an issue for you since you can add subs.

So what is it that you don't like about the LSi's? And more to the point, will adding a solid, more analytical amp like the Adcom, be enough?

Yeah I've definitely been looking very hard at the Klipsch reference series. I just wanted to see if there was maybe something more suited to what I wanted to do for the same or less money.

I should restate that I have subs but I would really like some big, decent speakers that can rock the house. Don't get me wrong I like the LSi15s a lot BUT, if it makes any sense at all, I would like to trade the laid back accuracy of the LSi's for something that is more forward and exciting for parties etc. As you pointed out the Klipsch speakers are great for that too because they get loud easily. Listener fatigue is not so much of an issue when you are moving around. The Polks sound much better the more power you give them which is something I noticed and I'm not giving them enough power (160 watts) now so that is something I'm going to do too. I can't get them loud enough without the amp clipping at 160 watts. You can really tell the tweeter is special when you listen at a long distance. Normally all you would hear is the bass an really high percussion but that tweeter is still crystal clear and right in your face. I've never tried Adcom so that's the next amp I'm going to try.

audio_dude
03-13-2007, 05:36 PM
You'll really want to look into the new paradigm monitor line. They've got just the sound you're looking for. Deep smooth bass, nice midrange and perfect highs.

And they're VERY efficient, perfect for that amp.

Dusty Chalk
03-13-2007, 06:20 PM
20 speakers?!?!? And that's all within your US$400-1300 budget?!?!? Let's just assume you mean US$1300, that's...(does some math)...only US$65/speaker...well, if you wait until the Insignias are on sale, they might go that low, I've seen them in the US$60's, but I think it was more along the lines of US$68 each...yup, they're on sale for exactly that right now...no, wait, that's for two speakers, you can up your budget to US$130/pair...you may want to go for the Radiient Europas, they're better (and US$100/pair, will cost you US$1K for 20).

Oh, and they'd need a sub -- you said you already had a sub? Or do you need to go back to the Insignias? That would leave you...US$1.3K-US$680==about US$600 for a sub...or "subs", since presumably you would multiply many of those, too.

Here's some advice: I think you'd do better to get fewer, yet better, speakers. So rethink that, and tell us if that's seriously what you want to go for.

Either that, or you need to go DIY. You may seriously want to go DIY, but I don't know if you have enough time.

laurencekarl
03-13-2007, 09:32 PM
You'll really want to look into the new paradigm monitor line. They've got just the sound you're looking for. Deep smooth bass, nice midrange and perfect highs.

And they're VERY efficient, perfect for that amp.

Sounds like what I want. That's two for Paradigm so I'm going to take a look around for some.

It turns out the Ebay seller responded so I went ahead and paid for the monitor audio RS6s. $549 so, presuming I do in fact get them, I don't think I will lose anything if I resell them. That leaves money for amps so I may get something with more output for the LSi15s. I've wanted to try the silver line from monitor audio so no loss and they should, in combination with the LSi15s, work for this party even though they're kind of small. Even if I keep them I'm going to look at DynAudio, the Paradigm line, and the RF-7s for more long term party use. Obviously I will want to get a better setup that will do everything eventually but its kind of nice to try out different stuff too.

laurencekarl
03-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Whoah man. No. $400 - $1300 for two large speakers. I already have that many speakers. Mainly crappy ones like you said but it's a house for students so I like to have speakers in each room, the basement, the porch, deck etc. for parties. I already have something like that setup by chaining IN->OUT on several receivers but I would like to have something that I can centrally choose which receivers get what volume and for amps that don't have an output. I have 5 subs, 2 of them ok and 3 of them not so great. Ideally, as you said, I would like to use fewer but higher quality speakers/amps e.g. higher quality 2 channel instead of terrible 5 channel but even so I still need a lot of speakers.

20 speakers?!?!? And that's all within your US$400-1300 budget?!?!? Let's just assume you mean US$1300, that's...(does some math)...only US$65/speaker...well, if you wait until the Insignias are on sale, they might go that low, I've seen them in the US$60's, but I think it was more along the lines of US$68 each...yup, they're on sale for exactly that right now...no, wait, that's for two speakers, you can up your budget to US$130/pair...you may want to go for the Radiient Europas, they're better (and US$100/pair, will cost you US$1K for 20).

Oh, and they'd need a sub -- you said you already had a sub? Or do you need to go back to the Insignias? That would leave you...US$1.3K-US$680==about US$600 for a sub...or "subs", since presumably you would multiply many of those, too.

Here's some advice: I think you'd do better to get fewer, yet better, speakers. So rethink that, and tell us if that's seriously what you want to go for.

Either that, or you need to go DIY. You may seriously want to go DIY, but I don't know if you have enough time.

PeruvianSkies
03-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Whoah man. No. $400 - $1300 for two large speakers. I already have that many speakers. Mainly crappy ones like you said but it's a house for students so I like to have speakers in each room, the basement, the porch, deck etc. for parties. I already have something like that setup by chaining IN->OUT on several receivers but I would like to have something that I can centrally choose which receivers get what volume and for amps that don't have an output. I have 5 subs, 2 of them ok and 3 of them not so great. Ideally, as you said, I would like to use fewer but higher quality speakers/amps e.g. higher quality 2 channel instead of terrible 5 channel but even so I still need a lot of speakers.

1. Sounds like if it's for a rave than you need to rent some DJ equipment with a PA to just blast some music.

2. Shows what I know..I thought raves went out like 7 years ago.

compaqguy
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
eh... I used to be a "club kid", and went every weekend. I grew out of that phase, and now enjoy a great lounge atmosphere where I can enjoy a drink with friends.

superdougiefreshness
03-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Great post,
Just to mention I did see a large group of Celestion club speakers on sale on e-Bay.
The brand as I said was Celestion and there were about 20 speakers from a night club that were being auctioned off about a month ago. This is a trusted brand in England and the model was for pro-instalations. I bet you could pick up some of these for real cheap used from a club set up. Also check other brands for similar used items. Remember this is e-Bay and sometimes things are stolen at such a great price it is a crime not to atleast check out your options.'
Good Luck
:ciappa:

shanedog
03-29-2007, 08:08 PM
you still lookin 4 the perfect trance speaker. i have the answer. klipsck klf-20. i now own a pair and i listen to nothing but trance. these speakers are insane.

laurencekarl
03-31-2007, 09:13 PM
you still lookin 4 the perfect trance speaker. i have the answer. klipsck klf-20. i now own a pair and i listen to nothing but trance. these speakers are insane.
I looked over the reviews and decided to buy a pair. They look really good and they're cheaper than the RF-7s. I should have them in a week or so. I don't know if anyone would care but I can post reviews of the various configurations I have bought. The Monitor Audio RS6s are very impressive for the money although when I ran the LSi15s together with them the metal tweeter kind of overpowers the polks. It's not necessarily bad and is a positive when it comes to percussion etc. but it's unpleasant on the ears to run the same EQ settings as for the Polks. The Polks are definitely a better speaker but for EDM I would probably go with the RS6 with the right amp and eq just because the Polks are so laid back and smooth. I think that I definitely need to feed more power to the Polk's to get their full potential so it may be that they would be better for EDM with the right amp etc. I think I'm going to pick up one of the Adcom 200W amps soon and try that with the Polks and the KLF-20s. I really like to adjust EQ for the room and speakers that I am listening too and the easiest way to do that is with my sound card (SB X-FI) but I would like to get something better. I have read good things about a certain Marantz cd player and the Yamaha RX-V1400. Running a cd player through my HTR-5940, for example, seems to produce much more powerful sound i.e. less thin than my sound card even if it is not an adjustable pre-amp method.

laurencekarl
03-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Great post,
Just to mention I did see a large group of Celestion club speakers on sale on e-Bay.
The brand as I said was Celestion and there were about 20 speakers from a night club that were being auctioned off about a month ago. This is a trusted brand in England and the model was for pro-instalations. I bet you could pick up some of these for real cheap used from a club set up. Also check other brands for similar used items. Remember this is e-Bay and sometimes things are stolen at such a great price it is a crime not to atleast check out your options.'
Good Luck
:ciappa:

I may get into pro gear but for right now I am trying to find a setup that sounds great in my bedroom/living room and that can occasionally be moved out into the lawn or basement and work for parties.

ericjones2006
04-01-2007, 05:28 PM
The KLF-20 has a horn loaded mid and tweet, so it will have good throw if you want to use them outside.