What to get for system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What to get for system?

lincsman
03-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi, first post
I have slowly been piecing together a nice surround system, and am now at the point where I want help. As much of a money magnet I am I still don't want to take the time to save up for something crazily expensive.
What I have: small bookshelves (Energy) that recommends a max of 100W of amp power(each speaker)
- mid-size bookshelf speakers max 150W (Pro-linear)
- 8" powered sub
- Old, good for nothing pioneer amp (nothing against Pioneer)

What I need:
- Center speaker
- Receiver, price range 600~800
- rear speaker(s)

I know what's worth 600-800 for receivers, but I don't know what brands are the best at that price range and what speakers would match it and my other speakers. I have other uses for my bookshelf speakers if people think I need to get something else for a surround system. Thanks for the help.

PeruvianSkies
03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
In the $600-$800 range you could get a nice Pioneer Elite receiver. As far as the speakers are concerned you might want to just stick with other speakers offered by Energy in order to match your entire system. What is your total budget???

lincsman
03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, not very high. I don't have a price cap but if I could keep everything under $1200C or so that would be great. I also have an entertainment center and a DVD player to get, and right now my bed is a POS so that has priority, but at the same time I really don't want to waste my time and money by being cheap and not getting the right thing. So, yeah about 1200 Canadian is my limit for now. Thanks.

drseid
03-13-2007, 01:47 AM
Well, not very high. I don't have a price cap but if I could keep everything under $1200C or so that would be great. I also have an entertainment center and a DVD player to get, and right now my bed is a POS so that has priority, but at the same time I really don't want to waste my time and money by being cheap and not getting the right thing. So, yeah about 1200 Canadian is my limit for now. Thanks.

Sounds like sticking with Energy for your center channel is indeed your best bet. Energy makes pretty decent speakers, and if you replaced them in the surround system with others on top of the receiver cost with your budget... I think you might be downgrading. As for receivers, I would look at midline models from Marantz (my personal fav) or Yamaha.

---Dave

lincsman
03-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Well, the DVD player is taken care of, I got a Panasonic and it's pretty nice. I also have a Panasonic VCR, which is kind of old I might replace it... Anyways, I'm wondering what would be better, a mid-range Marantz or Harman/Kardon, or a top-of-the-line Panasonic, Pioneer, Denon, or something like that, thanks.

drseid
03-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Well, the DVD player is taken care of, I got a Panasonic and it's pretty nice. I also have a Panasonic VCR, which is kind of old I might replace it... Anyways, I'm wondering what would be better, a mid-range Marantz or Harman/Kardon, or a top-of-the-line Panasonic, Pioneer, Denon, or something like that, thanks.

A top of the line Denon would be better but easily out of your budget (and IMO unnecessary). A midline Marantz will do fine.

---Dave

Rock789
03-14-2007, 07:48 AM
I would agree with the pioneer elite or marantz... also check out NAD, and Integra...

a beginner NAD would have better sound imo, but not much video stuff compared to the others listed...

PeruvianSkies
03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/vanns/538950468?$medium_item$

Loads of features, easy to use, tons of inputs/outputs, etc etc....and all for under $800 if you shop around!!!

Rock789
03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/vanns/538950468?$medium_item$

Loads of features, easy to use, tons of inputs/outputs, etc etc....and all for under $800 if you shop around!!!
which model is that:confused:

PeruvianSkies
03-14-2007, 01:14 PM
which model is that:confused:

Great receiver!

lincsman
03-14-2007, 09:50 PM
the model number would help. And yes, the Denon is a little out of my budget, lol. Thanks for the help I think the pioneer sounds good. Remeber I am in Canada, for pricing. What do you guys think has the best sound?

Rock789
03-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Great receiver!
rofl is "Great receiver!" the model number :p

Dusty Chalk
03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
ROFL -- no, the model number is in his subject line.

Rock789
03-15-2007, 08:00 PM
ROFL -- no, the model number is in his subject line.
:rofl: thats good ;o)

Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock789
which model is that

Great receiver!

didn't even pay attention to the subject line

PeruvianSkies
03-16-2007, 01:22 AM
That Pioneer Elite is a very good receiver and will get you lots of mileage and options. Marantz also makes some great stuff, but probably over the price range and Denon would be another choice. Some of the Denon receivers are REDICULOUS with more inputs and outputs on the back than you can even count. Their flagship model looks like it could get you into orbit with all the gadgets and gizmos on it.

I suppose the reason I typically steer people towards the Pioneer's is because I have recommended them to so many people and everyone that has bought them is satisfied and for the people that I have helped set up their home theater they always find the Pioneer's to be very user-friendly as well as wife-friendly. Unlike some of the other companies out there like Sony and Yamaha I personally find them difficult to use and tough to navigate. Not that it's impossible, but it doesn't seem very obvious when you are looking at the front console or the remote what you are suppose to do.

Hopefully you will find something worthwhile!!!

Tmankiller72
03-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I have a Cambridge Audio receiver that I am happy with , I do like it better than my last 3 Denon receivers ( 2803,2805,and an old 1400) you could get seperates but I don't know the quality of the Emotiva(s) they start at $899 for the pair . if you need or want HDMI switching than I would wait for the new audio codecs to be released later this summer or just get a used amp now and upgrade your receiver after the new codec receivers are released.

lincsman
03-17-2007, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=Tmankiller72 if you need or want HDMI switching than I would wait for the new audio codecs to be released later this summer or just get a used amp now and upgrade your receiver after the new codec receivers are released.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of getting something like this for now and then upgrade when I want HD TV.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10072856&catid=

Do you guys think that's a good idea or should I spend the extra money on HDMI? I'm probably buying a bed first anyways, so I might just use my micro system in the mean time and get a new receiver with the new codecs. I'm just not sure whether or not I should get the Yamaha or a Pioneer without HDMI for now and then get something for HD a few years down the road after it's developed more, or just go with something good now. A guy at Futureshop said HDMI isn't worth it, and a guy at Bestbuy said it totally was. I'm just not very educated with all this stuff, I've been out of the loop for the last few years. BTW, why is Harmon/Kardon so weak with the wattage? That's what turns me away from them.

As for center speaker and rear, I still don't know, because I don't know if A&B sound still carries the Energy speakers, and I'm not sure what other brands would match the quality nicely. Also I'm lost for rear speakers because I think another pair of C-50 Energy speakers is overdoing it for size and price for rear speakers (they're 200 bucks a pair). I want high quality rear speakers, but I don't need anything big.

Thank you all :). My price limit is about 800 for the receiver.

westcott
03-19-2007, 04:39 AM
rofl is "Great receiver!" the model number :p

ROFL2! I didn't know Pioneer made more than one Elite model?

My buddy on the Klipsch forum just picked up a Denon 3805 for US$500. No HDMI, but with moving targets for the standard and rumors of even another type of HD connection coming soon, A separate video switcher might be a better solution in the long run anyway for video.

lincsman
03-19-2007, 08:48 PM
If I was to get a Cambridge what would be best for a medium-size bedroom?

westcott
03-20-2007, 12:14 AM
If I was to get a Cambridge what would be best for a medium-size bedroom?

They only make two receivers for home theater, that I am aware of. The Azur 640R 7.1 HDMI AV Receiver and the Azur 540R. Just depends how many channels you need, basically.

I would not consider any of their other equipment and I do not think the size of your room really has anything to do with it.

lincsman
03-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks, westcott. I have come across some Quest speakers at King of Trade and they are in good condition, I know Quest isn't as good as Energy or PRo-linear by the sounds of it, but would those be that great? It's a set of a Center speaker and two rear, which is exactly what I need.

westcott
03-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks, westcott. I have come across some Quest speakers at King of Trade and they are in good condition, I know Quest isn't as good as Energy or PRo-linear by the sounds of it, but would those be that great? It's a set of a Center speaker and two rear, which is exactly what I need.

I have to be honest, I do not know a lot about Quest. I went to their website and it looks like a Canadian company although no mention of the Canadian Research Council was made. I also noticed that there were no wood finishes on the home theater systems. Now, the Canadians are known for their beautiful woodworking skills and I own some of their furniture so I can attest to the quality in wood.

I would suggest a search on the CRC and see who uses their technology. I believe Harman International is a major user but there are others. The CRC is well respected for their objective approach to acoustics and the CRC is an invaluable tool in speaker design that is worth millions to companies. The resources would be out of the question for most speaker manufacturers due to the financial investment in this acoustic lab by the Canadian government to stimulate business.

Here again, I have never heard a Quest speaker but that is my first impression.

I am really leary of recommending speakers because everyone has different tastes, but if I were to get a direct radiating speaker, it would probably be Canadian and it would be developed using the CRC resources.