Speaker wire [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker wire

Hashpot
03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Has anyone heard of the Acoustic Research speaker wire its a 100' for 31.99 at Bestbuy is Acoustic a good wire, i dont if it has the good materials like copper and stuff like the big bad monster cable.

Dusty Chalk
03-12-2007, 04:29 PM
It's okay. I've used it. I actually prefer Monster's...XP-something, I think...but not by much...

Hashpot
03-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Kool ,but do you think the Acoustic impacted the sound?

Mr Peabody
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
There are those here who will tell you that the AR is all you need. And it may be depending on your gear. However, speaker connectors do make a difference. My brother was using some Monster 10 gauge OFC with his Denon receiver and I gave him a pair of Audioquest connects I had around and he could tell a big difference. So good cable can even help a modest system. It will also depend on how much you are willing to spend. My suggestion is, if you really care and want the best performance, go to an audio shop and borrow a pair of interconnects to see if you hear an improvement. My experience is connectors, including RCA, can not only improve but sometimes alter your system's sound. So before ever spending any significant amount of money on cables, audition them. Most stores and on line sites will offer a 30 day return as well.

To try to answer your question more directly, in my opinion that AR stuff is just entry level at best. Any Monster I've ever had, has always sounded horrible compared to more notable connects like Transparent.

Dusty Chalk
03-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Kool ,but do you think the Acoustic impacted the sound?I've heard better.

PeruvianSkies
03-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Has anyone heard of the Acoustic Research speaker wire its a 100' for 31.99 at Bestbuy is Acoustic a good wire, i dont if it has the good materials like copper and stuff like the big bad monster cable.

When I was first getting into this hobby about 7 years ago I bought the Acoustic Research wire and thought it was the 'bomb' at the time. However, I have since upgraded in many ways from that wire and for several reasons. After about 1 year of use I noticed that it started to oxidize at the ends and was not very well video shielded with a lot of line noise. I could tell this even having a very generic system (I think I was using KLH speakers at the time). My parents (who don't really care much about HT) now have those wires running through their setup and can live with it, but once again they are not picky.

I have found that the Monster XP wire is made much better, also thicker, and seems to be better shielded, but even recently I found it to still allow some line noise to enter in. I still use this wire for my surrounds.